I don't like a lot of fruits or veggies. What do I do?!!?

Options

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Wow, your food diary is really lacking in any kind of actual nutrition. First and foremost I think you should educate yourself on what your body needs to be healthy. And are you saying that 1,120 calories a day is your goal? Where did that come from?
  • jimma0404
    jimma0404 Posts: 10
    Options
    Isn't that stuff expensive? I'm in high school and my parents do the shopping and its at walmart or shoppers. Very generic places. I'm can't really make suggestions as to what we get. As for V8, I tried it, NOT my thing at all. But I am a saltaholic :smile:
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    well, if texture is an issue, how about preparation? you could toss all kinds of veggies and fruits into a blender with some low-cal yogurt for a smoothie. or chop them up and slip them into scrambled eggs. i've experimented with savory pancakes, like potato latkes. zucchini and other squashes do very well in a pancake batter. another trick is to again, puree the veggies, and mix them into something like pasta sauce or meatloaf. you get the added nutrition, but none of the crunch (which used to be my issue when i was growing up). you could also try grilling or broiling them. softens them up nicely without adding a lot of oil. hope that helps. :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you want to get healthier, you're gonna have to figure out a way to like it.

I don't care for fruit, but love veggies. I'm a fan of green beans myself, if that's all you can manage to eat, then keep eating it.... BUT If you're getting bored with green beans...

I put mayo or low fat cottage cheese on my sliced tomatoes. I grill diced potatoes in tin foil, and add ketchup or light sour cream. Celery and ranch (made with ranch dip packet and low cal sour cream is healthier and lower in cals than plain Ranch dressing) or with peanut butter. I make steamed broccoli with lots of spices instead of cheese or butter. I eat black eyed peas right out of the can as a soup. Pineapple sandwiches :) Yum.

You can also squeeze lots of fruits and veggies into smoothies.

I can eat all veggies without anything at all added... but if you're the type that doesn't like them, try them again *bc tastes change constantly* and start trying them with add ons... maybe you'll get used to it, or even begin to like them... Just an idea :)
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Isn't that stuff expensive? I'm in high school and my parents do the shopping and its at walmart or shoppers. Very generic places. I'm can't really make suggestions as to what we get. As for V8, I tried it, NOT my thing at all. But I am a saltaholic :smile:

I eat mostly organic and non processed foods, it's not expensive if you actually cook. I only shop on the outer aisles of the supermarket and if you eat proper portions it's completely do-able. The crap and garbage in the middle is expensive.

As for you say you are allergic. Were you actually diagnosed by a doctor with an allergy or are you saying that because you felt that your throat was scratchy??
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Put 1 scoop chocolate protein shake with 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup banana and 1/2 cup frozen triple berries. (I use black, straw and rasp) add 3 ice cubes and blend. 263 cals /32 protein/35 carb
    a runner friend puts a cup or two of spinach in his but I havent been that brave....yet.

I also take 1/2 c each frozen blueberries and raspberries warmed up a minute in the microwave and add splenda. I need the antioxidants to recover from 60 mile weeks of running.

I also take and split a spaghetti squash into 4 pieces and toss as is into the microwave for a couple minutes. Eat plain.

You can fry fresh spinach with canola oil, lemon juice and garlic powder until just wilted. Or put it fresh in a salad.

Good luck!!
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soup, which can be then turned into minestrone if you want to add beans, pasta and bit of pancetta.

Works for me, and I have vegetable issues too.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Have you ever tried them with a dip start there low fat of course the try to wean yourself off the dip just a suggestion
  • AllisonConnell1301
    Options
    Try smoothies! There are tons of smoothie recipes out there! There should be one that you like!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a parent, and if my kids started asking,or do ask for a healthy food, I always buy it... You could at least bring it up...
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I extremely disliked Avocados -- gross, gross -- set off my gag reflex. But I wanted to like them. So, I started by masking them in other foods for a few days (I'll eat anything if it comes with bacon, so I made BLT wraps with avocado). Then I started eating a half of one a day... now I'm up to one a day and am actually enjoying them. Train your taste buds..

Best thing is to just introduce the vegetables that you think will work best in your macros and SLOWLY introduce them into your diet. I don't like a whole lot of vegetables raw but i LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted veggies. Take some olive oil, salt and pepper, good stuff.

Side note: I used to eat a lot of canned green beans (I like em) but they were really killing my sodium levels.
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    If you're mainly just eating canned vegetables, try fresh! They're a lot tastier, I think. Plus, I think there's additives in canned vegetables you won't find in fresh, like sodium. The only canned vegetable I'll eat is olives and corn.

Do you have a farmers market near you? I have one in my town every Sunday, it's a great way to try lots of local produce and it's usually not too expensive.

If you still can't get into them, try making a stir fry. For that I've used frozen mixed vegetables and with the sauce added, you can't really taste the vegetable flavor.

One of my favorite breakfasts is a scoop or 2 of chocolate protein powder, skim or almond milk and a frozen banana. You can hardly taste the banana in it, but since it's frozen it makes the shake more milkshake textured.

I don't know how you eat vegetables, but if they're too overcooked, like boiled to death, they're not gonna taste good that way either. My favorite way is lightly steamed or sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic.
  • jimma0404
    Options
    I've tried asking for fresh green beans, but mom says they aren't any good. As for breakfast, since I have to be at the bus stop by 6:20. It's hard to get breakfast in. Lately I've been having one of the bagel thins with peanut or regular butter( with olive oil). It has been making my stomach feel queasy in the morning though. The only time I have a reliable breakfast is Saturdays. :cry:
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not much of a veggie fan myself but I love to either drink the V8 or V fusion juices you get the combo of your fruit and veggies with some fruity taste in there also!!
  • jimma0404
    Options
    I'm trying and that's the main thing...Right?
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Not much of a veggie fan myself but I love to either drink the V8 or V fusion juices you get the combo of your fruit and veggies with some fruity taste in there also!!

Very true :) And they taste yum!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I'm trying and that's the main thing...Right?

Main thing? no. lol

The fact that you're trying is a great step!!! So, yes, its great! But you'll have to do more than try to get anywhere long term...
    Just my opinion tho.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Can you have any say over what sweets they get? Try getting them to stop buying so much candy. Then you'll be more eager to fill the void with something else. If your parents won't buy the fresh fruits and veggies, the canned are at least better than none at all. Maybe try some frozen veggies as well.

Do you like apple juice or orange juice?

This may sound strange, but from looking at your food log, at least you are getting tomato sauce from the pizza! It seems like most of your diet right now is from 'fruit' snacks, chips, and candy bars.

Any attempts you can make to get more nutrition is a good thing! Challenge your parents on getting more fruits and veggies. They may not care about their own health, but they really ought to be supportive in you trying to care about your health!!!

They could certainly replace a bag of candy bars for a bag of frozen veggies once a week. Or replace a box of 'fruit' snacks with a pack of juice boxes (not made from concentrate). They wouldn't need to change the monetary cost of their shopping trip if they just replace 1 unhealthy thing with 1 healthy thing.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe try roasting and saute your veggies? Also try using different seasonings. I have made veggies that I thought I didn't like, but once I learned how to use different seasonings and cook the veggies right they tasted way better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    this aint gonna be easy for you. good luck