Question about Carbs and Nutrition.

Options
Hi

I just feel like I can't win. I went for a test to figure out how many calories I need a day and how many I burn. It came back around 2700(upper limit). So I decided lets try 2600 calories and see how it will work.

I am pretty skinny but I can't seem to lose my gut. I tried tons of times different ways(tons of cardio), then gaining muscle and stuff but every-time I still have the gut.

I was even down to 12% body fat and I swear I think 70% of it was just in my gut as everywhere else I was too skinny......

So now trying to tackle my nutrition and figure out what is going on. I now see my portions are too big and started to correct this(portion out noodles before hand instead of just taking X handfuls and putting in a pot and assuming it is X amount of calories).

The thing I am having trouble is getting the equal portions

I was told I should take in 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs

This gives me about

195 grams of protein
87 grams of fat
260 grams of carbs

Yet for me it seems almost impossible to do. I plan out my meals and one area is too high. Then I try to correct and some other area is too high.

I planned a mock meal out and I still need to eat another 651 calories, get another 63grams of protein and 43 grams of fat yet I am already at -8 grams of carbs.

So my question is how exact can I follow this 30-30-40 rule? I just can't figure out how to correct this imbalance with not going over my carbs. Like I can correct the protein by taking another scoop or 2 of protein powder but I like it with 1% milk so that will be more carbs and I mean I just don't see my self stopping to eat orange, and breads and pasta. I am going do smaller portions of bread and pasta but even with those new factors I am going over.

Oh and almost everything in my mock meal f I would not consider "junk" food

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about it, really. You will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Macros are for health, not weight loss.

I set my goal for fat to 0.35g per pound body weight, and I set my protein at 1g per pound goal body weight. Those are minimums, so if I go over them, it doesn't matter. I just need to make the minimum to be happy. The other calories can be protein, fat, carbs, whatever as long as I get those fat and protein mins. cause they are important to my health and personal fitness goals. After those mins. are met, I don't stress about where the other calories come from for the rest of the day...if that makes sense?
  • chobo2
    chobo2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't stress too much about it, really. You will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Macros are for health, not weight loss.

I set my goal for fat to 0.35g per pound body weight, and I set my protein at 1g per pound goal body weight. Those are minimums, so if I go over them, it doesn't matter. I just need to make the minimum to be happy. The other calories can be protein, fat, carbs, whatever as long as I get those fat and protein mins. cause they are important to my health and personal fitness goals. After those mins. are met, I don't stress about where the other calories come from for the rest of the day...if that makes sense?

Ya I see what your saying but I am trying to figure out why everything I do does not end with the goals I am trying to achieve.

I don't eat cereals anymore, I was sucking down protein shakes to try to get that one gram of protein per pound like no tomorrow, was watching my calories and trying to eat a balanced diet. I also started working out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and still not even close to my goal of losing my gut.

So I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.....as I am running out of options to try.