Is 4.5 mph a very, very brisk walk for you?

Options

Replies

• Bether99
    Bether99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 4.5 mph is a very brisk walk for me or a slow jog. I go back and forth between the two but feel that the slow jog is better on my joints. I don't know if that is a fact or not; it just seems so.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 with little short legs and 4.5 is a slow, and perfect, jogging pace for me. I walk at 3.5 and its not terribly fast pace for me.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    5'6" No, it's just a walk for me. I run at about 7.0 and up
  • JennNH12
    JennNH12 Posts: 56
    Options
    Too funny, was just talking about this to my hubby. I am 5'2'. my "fast walk" is 3.5 and by 4 I am jogging. I can keep a decent fast pace running at 5.5 to 6, depending on how I feel that day. LOL. Where hubby, who is 7 inches taller than me, can still be walking at 4.5. We measured my stride and it is about 23-24 inches. So, length of your legs has a lot to do with it.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    im 5"4 4.5 is a very hard walk for me holding on or a very easy jog for me
  • fitnessd0ll
    Options
    it's a VERY brisk walk. I'm 5'1. jogging for me starts at 5 mph. short legs too.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    4.5 is a slow run or a brisk walk for me. However, right now I am having trouble running so it has been mostly walking. I'm almost 5'7"
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I log it as walk 4.5 very very brisk, even though at 5'3" it is a pretty good jog for me. My legs are not as long. My 17 yr. old 6'0" son walks at the pace I am running.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" 1/2 with long legs. I think I could speed-walk 4.5mph. 5mph is a light, non-challenging jog to me.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 4.5 is a pretty brisk walk for me, fast enough I cannot walk to me full stride..4.0 seems to be the best for a king, fast stride.
  • simplyjenna
    simplyjenna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    4.5 is a jog for me and 3.5 is a brisk walk.
    i am 5'9"
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    4.5 is running for me *****es! I am tall but that the speed I run. It's not a contest :laugh:
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Oishii, I'm not convinced either way, but another way to look at it is to consider the speed at which your feet move. Both tall and short people have to move their feet at the same speed to walk at the same pace.

This statement is untrue... Stride make a huge difference in the amount of area covered in the same amount of time. Longer legs are not moving at the same rate as shorter legs.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and I can't imagine walking 18 laps around a standard track in 60 minutes.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If I want to go at that speed I can either:

run slowly

Or

Run part of the time, walk part

(according to RunKeeper).

Then when I log it's a walk!

I'm 5'5", and wonder if it's a height thing.

Do you walk or run at 4.5 mph, and how tall are you?

I'm 5' 3.25" short and when I started really getting serious about exercise, a 4.5mph treadmill was practically a run. Now, it's a nice, brisk walk, and I can maintain that speed for up to an hour. My "easy" jog speed used to be 5mph when I first started doing C25K (Couch to 5K running program) but now I can, quite easily, run a constant 6.1 mph for a solid 40 minutes.

Keep trying, keep pushing yourself a bit more each week. If you go to a gym, try using the elliptical machines there at a fast pace for your usual exercise duration every few times you work out. You will get there, provided you aren't dealing with a health issue that would prevent you from doing so. Best of luck!
  • nbulger
    nbulger Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and 4.5 is a jog for me any faster and I'm running.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    5'9 - and yes - it is a fast walk - I have had a knee replacement, so I am not "allowed" to run..... I can walk up to about 4.8mph before I feel I need to start jogging to keep up....

A "normal" walk for me is 3.5 to 4.0 mph.....
  • ajcrain
    ajcrain Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 5"1' and 3.5-3.8 was a VERY brisk walk and 4.0 was a brisk jog. I thought I was very unfit when looking at the exercise options on here. Now , two and a half months in I can walk briskly at 4.0 and a light jog at 4.3. I am getting more intense as time goes on and I'm feeling pretty good. I know it also has a lot to do with my short legs/ stride.
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 4.5 mph would be a jog for me, but I think I have short legs for my height. I normally walk a mile in about 17-20 minutes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I did 5 on the treadmill the other day and it required both the mood for it, stamina, and concentration. I was on an incline. oops no wait correction. the incline was 5 the speed was only three. No it's fast for me, i just walk carefully due to an old injury. carry on.

oh and i'm 5'2 & 3/4 inches so yeah kind of short legs.