A new lifestyle VS simple weight loss

Options
At this point in my life im terrified of calories. Every second i eat im thinking about how to get rid of it and the feeling of despair and failure i feel when ive eaten something "bad" is soo overwhelming. Ive learned that in order for one to be completely successful in their weight loss journey , they must understand that self control is neccessary. For example, its easy for me to keep to calorie goals during the week because im rarely home and am always on the move. But on the weekends it's usually a battle. Whenever i go out i always go straight to the "taboo" foods and feel terrible while eating the,, but i dont stop. I hate this constant feeling of having to write down every name and calorie count of every morsel of food entering my mouth. Its embarassing !

This journey has been a rollercoaster of emotions. I feel like time is moving so slowly and im making no progress at all.

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If your ticker is accurate you have lost 23 pounds since January - that is amazing progress!! You do have to learn to eat in a normal sustainable way. If you have certain foods that you just can't control yourself and eat only one portion, you might have to give them up for awhile, but for the most part, you need to learn to eat normal food in moderation. I don't consider any food as taboo. I try to eat a generally balanced, healthy diet, but I do eat brownies, chips, etc, too.

The helpful thing about logging is that you realize that the junkier foods are high in calories and don't fill you up much, and it makes you want to spend your calories a little more wisely so you are satisfied. Just keep at it, don't cut out foods entirely from your diet, or you are more likely to fail.
  • mitsukai424
    mitsukai424 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh my. It sounds like the stress you're under is immense.

Congratulations on doing so well during the week. My only advice is to take more baby steps during the weekend. Eat those things that call out to you, but pat yourself on the back when you eat less of them. In time, all those small changes in your diet will add up to big changes in your figure.

Life is supposed to be happy, full of love & joy. Don't let your journey to be a better you bring so much stress & negativity into your life. Take a deep breath, & keep moving forward even if you slip sometimes. Be strong, not perfect.

:heart:
  • adaowerri
    adaowerri Posts: 34
    Options
    ive been trying guys. its just hard being young and seeing all these girls and society painting this picture. im gonna have to work on self control and portions of the foods i doo enjoy. but thank you for the feedback
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You should work on the guilt that you're feeling.. Once you get a handle on the mental/emotional part (feeling guilty, feeling like you HAVE to eat a certain food) it'll be easier to control how much or how little you eat.. I had to retrain my brain.. Instead of feeling like I HAD to eat Popeye's or McDonald's, I realized that food isn't going anywhere.. I'm in charge of what goes into my body.. Food doesn't control me
  • adaowerri
    Options
    i understand that ! but my thing is will i have to deprive myself of things for the rest of my life ?
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    i understand that ! but my thing is will i have to deprive myself of things for the rest of my life ?

Nope.. Once you handle the emotional part you won't feel deprived.. It takes a while trust me I just went through it myself.. But it WILL happen
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was and still am like that. But I've been better since I allowed myself a cheat meal on friday. No i have full control over my meals during the week and then I allow myself something I was dying to have all week. I don't feel guilty on this day at all whatsoever. But yeah if I ever cheated any other time I would feel bad lol.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try not to view it is deprivation, if you have trigger foods that are hindering you from your goals then make the choice for awhile not to eat them. If you must have them keep it portion controlled and not everyday. Challenge yourself for a day or two then five and a week. Please believe my major vice is chips, I find it hard to stick to one serving, so I rarely buy them anymore. Now some days its a must have and I may go hard but then balance out as best as I can with the rest of my calories for the day. This journey is about not only losing weight but finding a balance! Good luck to you on your journey!!
  • adaowerri
    Options
    thank youu. im gonna have to stop even tasting the "taboo" foods then !
  • LeslieBoBeslie
    Options
    I think you might benefit from keeping a food diary. List the "bad" foods you're tempted by, the reason you ate them, and how you felt during and afterwards. You might notice that you're eating out of boredom, convenience, peer pressure, or something else. Identify the reasons you're eating these things, then come up with other ways to deal with those reasons. I'm not sure if you're following any kind of diet plan in particular, but I started clean eating a year ago and love it. One of the reasons it works for me is because I'm not deprived of anything, i.e. no particular food group is off limits. You can have all your favorite foods but you just have to make them a bit differently. Try googling "clean eating lasagna" or "clean eating chocolate cake" and you'll be surprised how many recipes come up. Hope this helped a bit :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what worked for me. For a period of time (maybe six months or so) certain foods had to be totally b&. I knew if I ate pizza I wouldn't be able to stop. I went vegan and ate tons of weird healthy stuff. Then I slowly started adding in some of the b& foods like cookies, ice cream, toaster strudels, etc. Yesterday I had a slice of pizza since the first time in forever. Now that I've gone a while without it, I've broken the addiction and I'm able to eat normal people portions of foods I used to eat containers of. I have birthday cake ice cream in my freezer and I haven't binged on it. I've just been eating 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup servings.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

My best advice is moderation! I allow myself a "cheat day" every now and then, never more often than once a week but typically less often than once a month. Eat what you like in smaller portions, almost everybody on my friends list (as well as myself) have something sweet or some sort of "junk" food once a day after fulfilling the rest of our daily requirements and are losing weight and we're still happy.

My other advice, find things that are healthy that you like! It's easier to eat healthy food when you like what you're eating, and it doesn't feel like you're giving anything up. Another thing is to find healthier versions of "junk" foods that you like. Skinnytaste.com is a great website for low calories versions of foods like chicken parmesan, mozzarella sticks and chicken nuggets.

Best of luck!
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    It's daily struggle. I get how you must feel every time that happens but it is what we have to go through if we want to live a healthier life.

Have you ever considered changing diets? Maybe Paleolithic diet or Atkins diet?