Introduction and Abs question

Options
Hello everyone,

My name is Melissa from Fl. i'm new to the community and I really like it! My goal is to learn to eat better, loss a few lbs (more like 10-15), but most of all tone my body. I'm sure I will have much success if I continue with it.

I need help with toning my abs. I know it's said that you can't target just one area, so I do attend two aerobic type classes(kick boxing & steps) twice a week for 1 hour. My instructor said it will be the last place that is toned, I just hope it's not true but it does seem that way (belly ain't moving). I would like to know what exercise I can be doing at home to strenghen and tone my abs. I had a baby 9 1/2mths. ago and my belly is just all out there. If there is anyone that has had success or can give me there expertise in this area I would appreciate it.

Thank U in advance! :smile:

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Hello

In addition to you cardio.....you need ab routines that target the area.....since you go to a gym, they have machines specific for the abs

Crunches
    Bicycle Excercise( lie on back, feet in air, and alternate kicking the feet in and out, whilst twisting the waiste from side to side)

There are alot more, just google abs and you can find tone
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do these great ab exercises that work the whole area including upper lower and obliques.

Sit with your legs bent and lean back util your abs engage. Holding a weight in both hands in front of you, turn from side to side so that your elbow almost touches thr floor. I suck at explaining this but they work great. Even though my belly is still squishy and chunky I can tell i difference with these.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Find someone to burn you a copy of the P90X Ab Ribber DVD. It's 15 minutes and an awesome ab work out! Over 300 ab moves in 15 minutes.
  • super007
    super007 Posts: 23
    Options
    I personally do not like the 6 pack look. Tracy Anderson's Post Pregnancy workout is the best for abs. Gives you toned nice beach looking abs but you have to do them 4-6 times a week - there is no easy way out of it.

I had a surgery and I wasn't allowed to work out for 6 months - this is really really hard sweat work out and its really helped me tone back my tummy. She also has dance cardio and mat work outs to focus the other parts of your body and her workouts are tailored for women regardless of genetic or medical issues - you can do it.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can download the Ab Ripper for free or any video for that matter if you have a media/mp3 download program you use, such as mp3 rocketplayer, flickr music which charge a small fee per year. If you want to go totally free than you can go to "google" and type in "torrent search" or something along those lines and pirate it. I wouldn't suggest that since it's not totally legal...wink wink. nudge nudge, LOL!!! :) HA!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You're instructor is right. If your belly is where you have the most fat that will be the last place you will notice the fat reduce (I too have the same problem). Think of it like this, if you have a pile of snow that is melting which part will take the longest to melt away totally? The part where the snow is the thickest, whilst the areas which have less snow will melt away more quickly. However, as you continue to build up your abdominal muscles and do your cardio workouts you will begin to notice the difference. Just stay with it and be sure to work out even on the days when you don't feel like it. As I said earlier I am in exactly the same boat as you, need to lose 10 - 15lb and my belly is where I store most fat. Stick with it girl. You can do it!
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for all your input, very helpful!