I'm no longer hypertensive!!

Options
pineygirl
pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
I developed hypertension in my mid-20's. I was not overweight, not a smoker and always ate pretty well. I did work a high stress job and tend to be really high strung, but other than that I could see no reason why I should have high blood pressure. Eventually I decided I didn't want to risk damage to my kidneys, heart or eyes so I discussed it with my doctor. I was on medication on and off for a couple years, but they all seemed to have one or two bothersome side effects, and I really didn't like the idea of being on medication for the rest of my life at such a young age.

I got a blood pressure monitor and researched a bunch of supplements and started to change my diet. It took a while to see any changes but something was happening. It took a better part of a year but I went from being hypertensive to just pre-hypertensive (avg 160/95 to avg 135/85).

I still wasn't happy with being pre-hypertensive though. I tried to pinpoint what exactly I was doing that was working. I had been eating a very low sodium diet, but some days I had low sodium and still had higher BP, and other days I might have gone overboard on sodium, but my BP was lower that day. It wasn't until I started looking at potassium in relation to sodium that I saw another change. As long as my potassium was at least 2-3 times my sodium my BP was normal or not too far from it. As long as I had enough potassium, sodium didn't have much of an effect.

Also I found that of all the supplements I tried, the only one that really did anything at all was magnesium. My BP wasn't normal all the time. I'd still occasionally see a 140/90 when I got home from work, but it was usually always normal in the mornings.

I added in high intensity cardio 3-4 times a week for the past 12 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since I've gotten a reading over 122/76, even when I get home from work.

I don't know how or why this worked. I'm not advocating that people don't take BP meds. But something can be said for diet changes and exercise. Hypertension can be caused by many different things and can do a lot of damage if not controlled.

I'm not saying that at sometime in my life I won't need BP meds again. I just didn't want that time to be now.

Replies

• fitinthirteen
    Options
    That's fantastic! And a clear success that corroborates the real importance of fitness- thank for sharing your story!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I misread this as "hypersensitive", and was thrown off at first until I realized I'd read it incorrectly. Lol.

Still though, that is awesome that you were able to tackle that on your own. Your determination paid off!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. Congratulations.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    That's great but I have tried all the diets, work out 4-5 days a week, low sodium, nothing. I guess it was just the hand I Was delt
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!