OATMEAL what's your recipe?

Options

Replies

• lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    WOW these are great! I see a more delish breaky in my future!
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal often and basically do it the same way with exception to the fruit. I make mine on the stove top with vanilla a bit of honey and some cinnamon. Then add things like shredded apple, frozen fruit, mashed bananas and peanut butter. Some times I grind up some flax seeds and add that. Or I found a post on here to make your own peanut butter granola and I throw that on top of some yogurt...really yummy!
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh the almond milk and oatmeal sounds delicious. I am new to almond milk so I'll have to try this.
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal in the microwave by adding 2 T chopped apples and 1 T chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds, whichever I have on hand. The apples sweeten it enough so I don't need any sweetner.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I make on the stove top with water and then add stewed apple, cinnamon and a tiny drizzle of honey. Sometimes sultanas or flaked almonds too.

Best breakfast!
  • Courtney_0402
    Options
    For me, I like to mix protein powders in my oatmeal. Right now, my current favorite is:

1/2C of Oats
    1/2 scoop of BSN Lean Dessert Chocolate Fudge Pudding Protein Powder
    2 T of PB2
    1 T of Nutiva Chia Seeds
    Optional- splash of milk of your choice.

I measure out the ingredients first, and then in a seperate container I heat up the water. After the water is heated, I stir it in. I don't like my oatmeal too dry or too wet. Once I get it to my preferred consistency, then I let it sit for a few minutes. The reason why I do that is so I can let the chia seeds expand.

The nice thing about chia seeds is that they add extra fiber, and they are tasteless!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Also, just realized you were also asking about cookie/bar recipes.

I really like making no-bake cookies with oatmeal. I love the ubiquitous cocoa-powder-plus-peanut-butter cookies. Variations abound, but this is a version of the basic recipe: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/06/30/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-oatmeal-cookies/
    I use slightly different proportions; 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 1/2 c sugar, and it works out to about 160 calories per cookie, if you make 2 dozen.

I also like this other no-bake cookie with dried fruit and coconut. I like it with cherries:
    http://whiskandaprayer.blogspot.com/2011/01/easy-no-bake-oatmeal-cookies.html
    It works out to about 180 calories, if you make 2 dozen.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I do:

1/2 cup regular oatmeal (not quick)
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    good PINCH of SALT (you need it for flavor)
    10 grams raisins (about 15)
    sprinkle cinnamon

Mix all in deep bowl and microwave for 2 min 45 sec.

I like the protein powder because it adds sweetness with only like 1 gram of sugar. Probably differs by brand. I use Giant So Delicious. If you weren't using the protein powder you could use milk instead, but it's higher in sugar and not as sweet and not as much protein.

257 cal, 36 carbs, 4 fat, 19 protein, 5 fiber
  • wp95jma
    wp95jma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this recipe: http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2010/12/25/a-family-lovin-breakfast.html#

Not exactly a traditional oatmeal but so yummy, especially if you have an over ripe banana to use up.
  • royallv
    royallv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I mix:
    Bob's Red Mill - Old Country Style Muesli &
    Bob' Red Mill Thick Cut Oatmeal - Oats

1/2 cup local honey mixed with 1/2 cinnamon.

1/3 cup of oat mixture
    1tsp of the honey cinnamon mix
    1/2 cup mixed berries (frz black/blue/and raspberries)
    1/3 cup water

Microwave 99 sec.
    Add dash of milk stir and nuke another 40 sec(like mine hot)
    Top with Nature's Path - Flax Plus Granola - Pumpkin 1/4 cup (for crunchiness)

Comes to 284 calories,58 carbs,6 fat, 8 proteins, 25 sodium, 12 fiber. I really watch the sodium intake.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Ok this may sound crazy but its healthy and delicious! (At least for me cos I love chinese food)

50g of rolled scottish porridge/oatmeal
    200ml of unsweeted almond milk
    2 large boiled egg whites
    1-3 tblsp soy sauce
    1 tsp of powered ginger
    Pinch of chilli powder
    Handful of spring onions (chopped)
    Sprig of coriander/cilantro to garnish

As for something a bit sweeter and more mainstream (more treat-ish)

50g rolled scottish oats
    200 ml hazelnut milk
    2 tblspoons nutella
    1 tblspoon of peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
    Garnish with a sprinkling of dark chocolate chips
  • catchingraindrops17
    Options
    I always add in some peanut butter and either honey or Splenda. If I'll be working hard at the gym that day, I'll throw in some of my soy protein chocolate powder for a twist (:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just use plain old oat bran. Microwave water to boiling and stir in the bran. This even works away from home; I've gotten hot water from flight attendants to make it on the plane, and eaten it as a snack in a hotel room equipped with a coffee maker that also provides hot water. I add cinnamon; I've gotten to the point that I really don't like sweetened oatmeal. It just leaves a sugary aftertaste.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I like to make pumpkin protein shakes at night and save 1/4 c of it in the fridge and cook it in my oats in the morning. Recipe as follows:

1 scoop cinnamon roll protein whey
    1/4 c. libys pumpkin puree
    1 tsp nutmeg
    2 c unsweetened almond milk
    1 tbsp sugar free syrup
    40g banana
    -sometimes 1 tbsp ground flax if I don't have appropriate fat macros that day
    About 8 icecubes

I blend all of the above for a nice shake and then just add a little lef over to 1/3 c quick oats with a little water in the morning and its delish!

P.S. google recipes for vegan/gluten free black bean protein brownies. It sounds kinda disgusting but they are AMAZING! I just made them for the first time and topped mine with some crushed walnuts and that is a quick way to get all your nutrients on the go as well. Or last night for a treat I had a cup of no sugar added ice cream on top of one. never miss a brownie sundae again!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I have a steel cut pumpkin oatmeal recipe. I need to look for it, but I will post it. :)
  • nannylor99
    Options
    I loooove oatmeal but, I am am trying to eat healthier and the way I am used to making it is
    with brown sugar, or granulated sugar and cinnamon, or honey or maple syrup. For me it is
    very comforting and I am looking for hot, cold, sweet and savory healthy ideas for making oatmeal
    other than just throwing banana and apple in there.

Any to go recipes like cookies or bars would be great too.
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Overnight Protein Oats AKA PROATS !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bn-MHX_rnM

You can get creative with different toppings... Love this recipe and it works out well when in a rush (Since you can prepare the day before)
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I eat mine with chia seeds and tried it with vanilla soy milk last night...mmmmm...
  • DebraHarmer12
    DebraHarmer12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    easiest is the microwave regular or the higher fibre, add a tblsp of your favorite yogurt - a good tummy filler, and you are getting the yogurt which is good on so many levels
  • nannylor99
    Options
    A friend of mine who is a Fitness Trainer gave me a recipe for what he calls a Sludgie :) It's delicious and keeps you full for hours!!
    This recipe makes 2 glasses and I had 1 for breakfast about 8.30 am it's now 2.30 and I'm still not hungry :) You will need a blender for this or a smoothie maker
    RECIPE
    1 cup of (raw) oatmeal
    1 cup of milk
    1 pot of yogurt
    1 banana (or fruit of yr choice)
    1 tablespoon of Peanut butter (optional)
    Blend all the ingredients well and pour :) and enjoy :)
    It's quite thick and 'sludgie' hence the name :) I think it's delicious and plan on having the second glass for lunch :)