Is eating food for stress relief a weakness?

Options
FRIDAY, MARCH 15, 2013 | POSTED BY DR. GOULD

Most food addicts, whether they are aware of this fact or not, use food as a drug because of the brief relief it provides them from strong, unpleasant emotions such as depression, anxiety, loneliness and trauma. The pain-relieving effects of food are therefore more important to people who do not feel good in the first place.

Let's establish the most important point here, which is: a human being is in pain and seeking relief.

With food addiction, I've heard patients describe the relief they get from eating as a kind of food trance. Their mind completely switches off from the strong emotions that would otherwise plague them, and they find themselves consumed with the short-term pleasure of flavor.

And, depending on the amount of pain they are carrying, their eating will continue until full relief is achieved. Unfortunately, this may require a large amount of food—food that is usually excessively high in flavor (sugar, fat, salt), and which leaves them carrying their own physical scars in the form of excess pounds.

The unfortunate result of this is that the excess pounds only serve to add to a food addict's emotional pain as they punish themselves with guilt over their perceived 'weakness' and further strip themselves of self-esteem because of the larger person they see in the mirror.

This new emotional pain, of course, will need to be relieved. And so the food addict will once again find themselves in yet another food trance, mindlessly eating, and allowing their minds to switch off as they're consumed with the short-term pleasure of flavor.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Let me be clear here. Very clear: This is not a 'weakness'. And to perceive food addiction as a 'weakness' is not only judgmental, it is completely inaccurate.

Just as a child who burns their finger will run it under cold water to seek relief from the pain, so, too, will a food addict seek relief from their own pain. The choice of pain relief may be entirely different, but at its core both cases are simply a human being seeking relief from pain in the best way they know how at the time.

And there's the big key to all of this: the best way they know how at the time.

So, what if a food addict knew a better way to find relief from their emotional pain? A way that didn't require overeating? That didn't result in excess pounds? That didn't result in guilt and shredded self-esteem that only serves to ensure continued overeating?

And what if this new way actually dealt with the emotional pain they'd been carrying this whole time, bringing it out in the open, handling it with care and respect, and replacing it bit by bit with compassion, confidence and dignity?

Here's an insightful quote from a former food addiction patient of mine: "Filling up...but still on empty."

Emptiness, here, is another word for pain. Emotional pain. Pain at the absence of joy or love or hope.

Start this very day by asking yourself where your own emptiness comes from. Is it the loss of love? The loss of hope in a relationship? The loss of self-worth at your own perceived shortcomings and failures?

Ask yourself what being in a food trance is like for you. What are the short-term benefits? And what image or feelings of relief are activated in your own mind?

Whatever they may be, know that you were born with the right to dignity and compassion, and it is through these lenses that I ask you to view your own emotional pain. Acknowledge that you are a human being who has simply sought to seek relief from pain in the best way you knew how at the time.

Developing this habit, this compassion, and finding the answers to these questions is transformative.

It also takes courage. The courage to step outside of what's familiar (harsh self-criticism) and into new, uncharted territory. Fortunately, we sit on vast reserves of courage (just ask a mother protecting her child).

Time, then, perhaps, to call upon this courage and shine it on another person who really needs your attention...

You.

Replies

• peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Some Sunday food for thought. I guess this is my primary struggle with food. I am using meditation, exercise, massage, and meditation to help with this. Dealing effectively with it is a process, at least it has been for me.

I've read about studies that show 70% of people who are overweight struggle with this. However, the vast majority simply will not admit it. They go on a diet, lose it, and then gain it back never dealing with the core problem. This is one of the reasons why 95% of people who lose weight gain it back. An amazingly sad stat.

Combine it with the proliferation of cheap low quality food that is pushed on us you get an epidemic of obese people in the USA like the world has never seen in all of human history.
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    So beautiful. Thank you for approaching the topic of emotional eating. It always seems so taboo. You put it in a completely while new light for me..... Compassion for oneself.

I love the thought that we have the tools already built-in to conquer this situation.... Courage!
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Profound. I'm going to re-read this on a regular basis. It's important to remember to view our fellow humans with compassion.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump!!!!
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    great post
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    it makes so much sense thankyou for posting I think I will refer back to it
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it's early for me to read your long thing so I'll just answer the question as it's written above as I understand it.

Eating food for stress relief is not a weakness. It's a coping mechanism. Find another coping mechanism and learn to rely on that instead of on food and you will be better off. Simple explanation. Complex but worhtwhile and attainable process. It's more of a mind thing than a character flaw. Not to say it's all in your head but having other ideas at the ready when stressing and new ways to think about managing the stress should help and more and more everyday.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    THIS IS IT! Until you "get it" all the cabbage soup diets; Sensa; Weight Watchers; NutraSystems; Bariatric Surgery; heavy lifting; Slim Fast; Hyroxicut; C25K; 30-day Shred; MFP; Raspberry Ketones; HIIT; low/no carb; South Beach; intermittent fasting; personal trainers; gym memberships; thigh master machines; etc, etc, will just be a whistlestop on your way to re-packing on the pounds.

To replace eating with another mechanism to cope with the pain (even a healthy coping mechanism) is like trying to mop up an overflowing sink with the water still running...it makes more sense to shut off the faucet (cause), than continually trying to mop up the mess (effect).
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and insightful post. Finding that alternative "coping mechanism" (as one person put it) has been a lifelong struggle for me. I struggle daily and fail to conquer more often than I'd like to admit. I often feel as if there must be a switch in my brain that needs to be turned on so that I will think of food just as fuel for my body and nothing else.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and insightful post. Finding that alternative "coping mechanism" (as one person put it) has been a lifelong struggle for me. I struggle daily and fail to conquer more often than I'd like to admit. I often feel as if there must be a switch in my brain that needs to be turned on so that I will think of food just as fuel for my body and nothing else.

I suggest checking out the book "Unteathered Soul.". It might help you understand the games the mind likes to engage in.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've always maintained that weight loss is between your ears. Unless you can get your mind in the right place you will never be successful. That applies to a lot of other aspects of life as well. A wise person told me years ago that when you're feeling upset or stressed to ask yourself what it is that's really bothering you. Assess what the absolute worst thing that could happen would be and how you would deal with it. Would you die from this issue?

I've used the technique ever since and found that most of the time I can reason through my horrible problem and see that it really isn't the end of the world so I can take the action I need to instead of stuffing my feelings and just making it worse.