mashed cauliflower??

Options
dancingnancies
dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
hi all, i have heard some great things about mashed califlower. how does everyone make it??? i'm looking for a good recipe. thanks!!!

Becky :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    hi all, i have heard some great things about mashed califlower. how does everyone make it??? i'm looking for a good recipe. thanks!!!

Becky :flowerforyou:

whatever you do, drain it thoroughly... pat it dry with a paper towel, TWICE to avoid it being too watery...cauliflower hold a LOT of water and the last thing you want is watery mashed potatoes ( cuz thats how I fool my kids into eating it)
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I have made it. You make it the exact same way has normal mashed, just replace the potato with cauliflower.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Personally, I toss the cauliflower in a tiny bit of veggie oil and then roast it to get it softer, then put it in a food processor with a small amount of greek yogurt/salt/pepper and blend it together. Ima simple girl!
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Personally, I toss the cauliflower in a tiny bit of veggie oil and then roast it to get it softer, then put it in a food processor with a small amount of greek yogurt/salt/pepper and blend it together. Ima simple girl!

Mmm that sounds good. I used to make a recipe from Eat Shrink and Be Merry that uses french onion philly cream cheese chip dip that was really good but now I need a substitute because I don't eat highly processed foods anymore.
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in chicken broth first to add a little flavor. Also, in my opinion, these do not save very well.
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    After you boil it toss it in the blender with alittle half and half butter and pepper and blend!
  • amyna73
    amyna73 Posts: 1
    Options
    just ate some for lunch. Season it , steam it and mash it or use a mixer, you can add a little margine or olive oil and skim milk. yummy
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump - interested in knowing too:)
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I made mashed cauliflower a few weeks ago and it was delish! I am not a vegie eater AT ALL(thank goodness they are not like their momma) but I had to try it b/c of all the good reviews. Even my kids liked it! I steamed the cauliflowers and prepard them as if I were making mashed potatoes.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have made it. You make it the exact same way has normal mashed, just replace the potato with cauliflower.

That is what I did! It was yummy!!!!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    tnx for the tips everyone! can't wait to try it!
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i add some brussel sprouts. cooked properly, the middle taste potato-like so it adds that mouth feel of mashed potatoes
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I start with frozen cauliflower (easier for me)...and microwave it for 5 min, stir, 5 min more
    then I put it in the food processor with butter and a tiny bit of milk with pepper and any other seasoning you like (I do use a little salt)

I agree, drain well and they do not keep too good (but I do warm leftovers in a skillet if I have any kinda like a potato pancake)
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I put laughing cow in mine. YUM!
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I once made it for my hubby when we were doing Atkins. He was so polite! "Uh, I'm not saying I don't like it but, what is this? I don't think it is potatoes". He hates cauliflower, loves mashed potatoes and damn him he can tell the difference! I liked them fine! I've been thinking of trying a mix of mostly potatoes, some cauliflower snuck in there and then gradually increasing the proportion of veg. My daughter doesn't eat veggies unless I hide them. Bless that immersion blender!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Last week I made mashed potatoes that was actually one-third cauliflower, and no one noticed. Next time, I'm going to try half and half.
  • blizzard380
    blizzard380 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 head cauliflower, cooked (stove top or steamed)
    1/2 light cream cheese (garlic herb)

blend in blender - smooth and yummy!!!
  • Isahollo
    Isahollo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Brown Butter Cauliflower Mash

1 medium head cauliflower
    4 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped chives or green oinion
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 cup asiago cheese
    4 tablespoons basil pesto (optional)
    Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
    Clean and cut the cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan and cook the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
    Drain the cauliflower well; do not let cool and pat it very dry between several layers of paper towels.
    In the bowl, mash the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, asiago, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper until almost smooth.
    Mix in chives and pesto, if desired, and serve.
    Serves 4