What worked for you??

Options
I love all the success stories, especially the before and after pics. I would love to hear what everyone thought helped them the most, which workouts, dvds, healthy meal plans (hate the word diet). I'm in need of motivation and ideas. Figured this would be a great way to start.

Replies

• CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Good music. Seriously. If I didn't have the music to keep up with I would be lost.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Planning really helped me. I put all the meals I am expecting to eat in a week into my diary at the start. There's always room for flexibility but it just helps me make sure, for the most part, that I stay within my calorie limit.

Exercise-wise, I have found running has really helped me. I hated running until very recently but I decided that I really needed to start putting the effort in. I now love running and this morning completed my first ten miler ever. I found it helped me lose the little bit of weight I had left to lose, as well as helped majorly tone in a way I never thought it would.

Ax
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    myfitnesspal.com

...and running
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I fixed my food intake first. In the past, I've worked out and assumed I could eat whatever I wanted and would magically be healthy.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    MFP and being more active.
  • troystweets
    Options
    I'm halfway down to my goal and it's only been 3 1/2 months. What I've contributed to my success:
    Body by vi shakes.
    Being consistent about logging my meals & exercises and staying well below my daily calorie goal (after exercise).
    Running AND strength training. I found running was great but the strength training is what has helped to widdle away the inches.
  • woahitsangie
    woahitsangie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    logging EVERYTHING.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    1. Small deficit (2000 calories), and eating anything I want if it fits in my macros
    2. Lifting weights, moderately heavy in the 8-15 rep range
    3. Cardio, so I feel good and can eat more...
    4. Not beating myself up when I F^&K it all up sometimes

...repeat and repeat and repeat...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1. Small deficit (2000 calories), and eating anything I want if it fits in my macros
    2. Lifting weights, moderately heavy in the 8-15 rep range
    3. Cardio, so I feel good and can eat more...
    4. Not beating myself up when I F^&K it all up sometimes

...repeat and repeat and repeat...

This. Except my calories we'e higher and rep ranges lower.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Eating Primal foods which then reduced all processed foods and grains and lowered carbs naturally. Ate real foods, learned how to cook more and went out to eat less often.

Eating enough calories really helped, there is a lot to be said about that....not starving myself thin but eating myself healthy and fit.

Staying with cardio and adding resistance work (no lifting for me though).

Eating at TDEE minus 10%. took longer but so worth it!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Running AND strength training. I found running was great but the strength training is what has helped to widdle away the inches.

oh yes, forgot weights, though dont overdo it, ive found its better to focus on weights when eating a full calorie diet, and use weights to suppliment cardio when cutting fat. also cycling is good for fasted cardio, because it keeps the heart rate lower so less chance of burning muscle.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Switching from using MFP calories to TDEE -20%.

MFP worked for a month or so but I've plateaued and haven't lost anything in weeks!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    1) Hitting rock bottom and deciding that I HAD to do something or I would die. I am only 5ft 3 and I had ballooned up to 179lbs by doing absolutely nothing but sitting on the couch with my laptop, watching tv and eating high calorie, sodium and fat filled junk.
    2) Deciding what to do about it, I chose walking at a pace I'd ENJOY for just ten minutes per day, slow enough and easy enough that I would do it again the next day.
    3) I did that for 2 weeks, gradually walking 30 minutes per day and noticed that the top of my thighs didn't look so flabby. That was a big motivator!
    4) I joined MFP and started logging food. I didn't diet, I just logged.
    5) I saw how horrible I was eating so I started adding fresh, real food instead of boxed, canned & frozen food.
    6) I started to lose weight. Yay! I also searched the forums on here to get healthy weight loss tips.
    7) I started to have more energy. It was kind of like I had ADD. What a change! I moved more, as in cleaning house and walking my dog in addition to my regular walking and lost more weight.
    8) I learned to look up restaurant menus online and preplan what I was going to eat, picking healthier choices.
    9) I started taking healthier foods to family potlucks and encouraged others to join me in physical activities, games, etc. instead of just sitting around eating cheese potatoes and desserts all afternoon.
    10) I discovered clothing that made exercising a LOT more comfortable.
    11) Bought a HRM and started biking over summer, then C25K after losing 40lbs in just 4 months.
    12) Completed C25K and then finished the C25K bridge to 10K.
    13) Started weight lifting 3 x's per week and occasional water aerobics.
    14) Now I'm working on eating more protein, fewer carbs, becoming even stronger and healthier.
  • angbak60
    angbak60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

MFP worked for a month or so but I've plateaued and haven't lost anything in weeks!

What is TDEE - 20%?? thanks!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ridiculously consistent logging. Even though it's ultimately still an estimate, a consistent estimate is incredibly invaluable. Otherwise, it's impossible to make educated tweaks to your programs when appropriate (and tweaks are an essential part of continued progress).
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options

What is TDEE - 20%?? thanks!

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure...in other words, how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period from alllll your activities...

Get more info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+3
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Planning meals and pre-logging has been one of the foundations of my success thus far. Insanity and running are my workouts of choice - but you have to find which ones you love to stick to them.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Workouts: Juilian Michaels 30DS Ripped In 30, Killer Buns and Thighs
    Kettlebells
    Pilates
    Medicine Ball
    Running Daily

Daily Meditation: Prayer

Believing In Myself
    My Daughter Cheering Me on and looking at me with Admiration
    My Co-workers Support
    I want too settle Down and Get married, and to have this, I needed too take Care of Me first, mission complete, now if only I could find Prince Charming...I know he's around here somewhere. lol
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Cutting my calories worked most for me. I also don't eat most of them back because if I do I just stay the same and don't lose. But that varies person to person, some people have lots of luck eating them all back, some eat a few back, some none.
  • fitandstrongg
    Options
    Running, not eating processed foods, workout apps (there are so many of them now!) and of course myfitnesspal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!