Disc Golfing and burning calories

Options
Is there anyone who may know how many calories u burn playing disc golf or frisbee golf It is not on this site and am trying to figure out how to figure it out thanks to everyone for your help

Replies

• jesse14472
    Options
    check out www.caloriesperhour.com....they have a activity calculator that will show calories burned. The activities are listed alphabetically (disc golf is under frisbee, ultimate). Just type in your weight and the amount of time played.
  • djnelson1024
    Options
    Awesome thanks ultimate frisbee is a bit more active than frisbee golf but I think general frisbee worked out great for a calculator I really appreciate it jesse thanks for ur help
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Well...i have worn a HRM for a variety of different activities and feel like i have a pretty good "feel" for this sort of thing (estimating calorie burns). I'd personally burn around 100-150 calories playing frisbee golf. The light walking doesn't get your heart rate up enough to do much. I suppose if your "golf course" was really hilly, it could be a little more...not much.
  • junebug1010
    junebug1010 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Frisbee golf is the best! Hardly notice it's actually "exercise". We have a couple of courses here locally.

Here's what I found...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_do_you_burn_playing_disc_golf
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love disc golf - I haven't played in a while so I'd probably be burning lots of calories digging in the woods for my disc! :laugh: I have friends who snowshoe in the winter to play - I bet that burns a ton of calories :)
  • djnelson1024
    Options
    Thanks June yeah we have about 5 locally here so have had lots of chances to check out all of them and plus the weather has been amazing here in Minnesota for the last few weeks hasnt got too cold so we check out all of them usually go once a week or so. It is a blast even the kids play great game thanks for the info yall appreciate it
  • onehalfspin
    Options
    I know this thread is a bit old, but I was just trying to figure out the same thing and have finally come to what I think is a reasonable answer.

I have an Android phone with Google My Tracks that I use for figuring out distance, speed, etc to figure out many calories I burn for running, walking, hiking, biking, etc. It gives total time and moving time.

What I have done in the past is just assume disc golfing is the same as walking unless I am on a fairly hilly course; for example, today I disc golfed for 1:33, with 58 minutes of walking time with an average moving speed of 3.35 mph. So I logged it as walking at 3.5 mph for 58 minutes. I just log the moving time and moving speed as my disc golf workout.

Thing is, I do a lot of walking, and I ALWAYS get sweatier, hotter, more tired after playing disc golf than the same amount of walking, so I feel I'm not being fair to myself just counting it as walking.

Now, a bunch of websites are saying that disc golf burns 920 calories in 2 hours for a 200 lb man, which is RIDICULOUS. I think what they are doing is counting the full time for both walking and Frisbee. That's gotta be way off.

Now I know people who don't play much disc golf think it's the same as just light walking, but throwing the disc definitely takes some effort, if you're a regular player and really throw for distance. Much more energy put into each throw than regular Frisbee playing with some friends (less than ultimate Frisbee though...)

SO, the point of my long story is, it seems quite reasonable to estimate some Frisbee with some walking; today I had 58 minutes of walking at about 3.5 mph, and my non-moving time was 35 minutes. So I'm logging the walking plus 35 minutes of "Frisbee, general."

That might be a BIT of an overestimate, so maybe half of the non-moving time is playing Frisbee. Hard to say. I didn't do much standing around time, so...

This is my best estimate. The end.
  • rvens79
    rvens79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Disc golf is fantastic! I was glad to see a discussion on here! This is my first post on MFP, and just my own opinion as an advanced amatuer disc golfer, so here goes:

I think you'd be surprised how many calories are actually burned if you are playing disc golf at a competetive level. If you are casually playing 9 holes it is a LOT different than playing a league or tournament. The pace is faster, the mental game is stronger, you're carrying a bag of discs (sometimes 20-25 or more), water, etc. and you are pushing your body to get everything you can out of every shot to save strokes. A smart player does what he/she can to keep their heart rate elevated to a comfortable rate to stay focused and keep muscles warm and loose.

With all that said, one should keep in mind that while recreational disc golf may burn as many calories as simply walking, competetive disc golf can burn as much as hiking (big jump in energy consumption!) especially given the terrain.

I think anyone that enjoys disc golf and plays regularly (casual or competetive) knows that it feels much better than trying to burn off your lunch or dinner by watching TV (haha:wink: ), but use common sense when trying to calculate burned calories. When in doubt: aim low.

Just my two cents.
  • cenewgent
    cenewgent Posts: 1
    Options
    Chiming in, almost 2 years after the OP.

Disc Golf Station has a really fantastic estimator based on the Metabolic Task Equivalent standard here: http://www.discgolfstation.com/Disc-Golf-Calories-Calculator_ep_40-1.html
  • monkeynumber100
    monkeynumber100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Chiming in, almost 2 years after the OP.

Disc Golf Station has a really fantastic estimator based on the Metabolic Task Equivalent standard here: http://www.discgolfstation.com/Disc-Golf-Calories-Calculator_ep_40-1.html

Got this from doing a "disc golf" search. Thanks for posting it!!!
  • wilbiggins
    Options
    I love the My Fitness Pal app on my phone. I play a course in Sedro Wooley, WA. It's big and has tons of walking. I usually use leisuraly pace of 2.5 walking on my app to account for my round. This is probably a lot lower, but if you have gone as far to get to this thread to figure it out, my guess is you keep a close watch on your calorie intake and burn. Do your best to estimate. Don't take the easy numbers! Get off your couch and grip it and rip it!!!!! Disc golf is great excercise.....especially if you trully try to play the sport (I'm talking trying to throw it over 450 ft.....that take's a lot out of you..not that I would know cause my max is 350...but that takes a lot out of me :)
  • mamasage
    mamasage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a calculator for this other than on discgolfstattion? It's not working after days of trying, and there doesn't seem to be a way to contact anyone there. And that seems to be the only answer I can find anywhere, other than the 920 calorie one, which I'm not buying. Until then, I'll just put in regular frisbee, I'm guessing..? Still get 577...plus extra mental points for my go at playing with a leashed puppy while landing my discs in almost every swamp & thicket as a result. :)
  • averylarry
    Options
    MET equivalent:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent

discgolfstation used 4.0. You can adjust depending on how strenuous your disc golf session is.

Then take your weight divide by 2.2 and multiple by the MET you chose to get calories burned per hour.
  • JayTeeEs
    JayTeeEs Posts: 36
    Options
    For anyone wondering, discgolfstation is now properly working. I just checked it out and it seems to be functioning right.

Being an avid disc golfer and one who is on a mission to lose 50 pounds, I can't begin to tell you how happy this makes me.

Throw on playa!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    the calculator said 190. Which seems high as i've done a lot of disc golfing. It's mostly just walking. Any walking calculator was about 2cal/min tops after BMR is subtracted.
  • JayTeeEs
    JayTeeEs Posts: 36
    Options
    Ok so here are exact numbers. I just played 18 holes at 73 minutes total. Putting in my info(age, height, weight) on discgolfstation.com it gave me 433 calories burned.

Comparing that to 3.0 mph "walking dog" pace from this websites calculator I got 409 burned, and at 3.5 mph "brisk walk" pace also using this websites calculator I would have burned 471 calories.

My conclusion is discgolfstation.com's calculator is pretty dang close. Might not be perfect, but close.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    check out www.caloriesperhour.com....they have a activity calculator that will show calories burned. The activities are listed alphabetically (disc golf is under frisbee, ultimate). Just type in your weight and the amount of time played.

no way that's accurate. ultimate frisbee you RUN YOUR BUTT OFF!! it's about the same amount of running as playing full speed soccer. disc golf is more walking in the park (similar to regular golf)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

no way that's accurate. ultimate frisbee you RUN YOUR BUTT OFF!! it's about the same amount of running as playing full speed soccer. disc golf is more walking in the park (similar to regular golf)
    disc golf and ulti are two totally different things.

in regards to the calculator even ulti can be two totally different things. I play elite ulti. I also play rec 1 day a week for fun. they aren't even in the same universe for intensity...