I Am Officially A Runner -C25K success

Options
BldHny2002
BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
I hit my first NSV goal today.

I ran a 5k.

I started running on the c25k program on December 5th. I blasted through the program with flying colours - till mid January, when I got a terrible cold and plateaud and got stuck on Week 5 of c25k. I had to repeat the week, go back to week 4, try to push through... I just couldn't run for 10mins, walk for 5, then run another 10, but I could run 20mins straight.
I stuck with the program with no success following the planned regiment of walk and run after week 5. I lost my stamina and endurance trying to follow the walk/run. February 28th my gym started a four week challenge, and my goal was to run 20mins straight. That day, I could only run for 12mins straight.
My plan was to, every time I attended the gym to run, I would increase my run by one minute.

Today, just past two weeks later, I ran a full 30mins.

After I hit minute 16, something clicked. My stride got more comfortable. My breathing was definitely more regulated and I feel like I could probably hold a conversation while running (if I really had to). When I hit 17 minutes, I decided to push myself a bit more. Could I go for an extra two minutes this time?
Yes, I could.
The next day, I took it easy, only doing the 19mins I had done before. Then rest day, then I decided to run for as long as I could before I felt I was going to throw up.
I ran an extra 6 minutes, bringing me to 25 mins total straight run. I had beat my gym's 4wk challenge exactly two weeks ahead of schedule. During this time, I also cut down on my warm up walk, going from 5 mins to 3 mins.

I took another rest day and carbed up - my goal back on Dec 5th was to run a 5k (no matter the time length) on St Patty's Day. The goal was to run the Running Room 5k race but that didn't happen... So at an incline of 1.5, I ran for 30mins STRAIGHT, ABSOLUTELY NO WALK BREAKS, and had a final run time of 36:39 (including my three min warm up, and a two min walk break after my thirty min run. I continued to run after that two mins for another 90sec-2mins so I could end my "race" running).

I even have proof:

image_zps07418644.jpg

After that, I went and did some stretching. I happened to notice this...

image_zpsaef52d3c.jpg

My one toenail was a bit too long that it cut into its neighbour and filled my shoe with blood.
My first running injury.
AND I WAS TOO BUSY ENJOYING MY RUN TO NOTICE IT.

Replies

• marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!!!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    WTG!! That's so inspiring to me, because I'm starting C25K as soon as the snow melts here! Are you planning to go for 10K now? :)
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    way to go!!!!!
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    wtg !
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Loved c25k.
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I think I want to try C25k soon.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Great job! I want to try the program at some point, but too many things are bouncing too much at the moment. I've heard great stories by people who tried it, so it's encouraging
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant well done
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'd say you became a runner on December 5th :wink:

Congrats on the 5K! That's on my radar, but a tiny blip just now. Kudos on the sporting injury but being to happy about running to notice! :drinker:
  • ernestandtawan
    ernestandtawan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in week 4 of c25k. I needed to hear this story. This will help me push through.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Very inspiring. I'm so glad I read your story--lots of good ideas in here.
  • Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I just started C25K last week (again) to prepare for my first official 5K in May. Thank you so much for posting this, it makes me feel like I have a chance!

PS... I just bought those same running shoes yesterday! Are they comfy?
  • BrandNewAmy
    BrandNewAmy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! That is fabulous!! I just restarted my C25K program today. I keep falling off the bandwagon but am determined to stay on this time!

{Yikes on the toenail injury!!!}
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yay, blood!

Your initiation is complete! LOL

Very motivating story as I'm a serial quitter when I lose my buzz.
  • BldHny2002
    Options
    That is so awesome! I just started C25K last week (again) to prepare for my first official 5K in May. Thank you so much for posting this, it makes me feel like I have a chance!

PS... I just bought those same running shoes yesterday! Are they comfy?
    Yeah!! Really helped me feel stable on my ankles! Never knew they were weak lol Since I've bloodied up mine up I'm looking at more colourful shoes, and using those ones to run outside in the mud in. I'm thinking the Lunarglide.

And yes, I'm planning my 10k in May for the Run for MS (to support my dad and show him I'm as strong as him! He's one of the reasons I started to run - because he can't now!)
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! I am stuck on week 5 right now myself. Thanks for the inspiration to push through it.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What a great inspiration - I did my W1D1 today - and this is just the boost I need to encourage me that I have started on something that works! I am planning to do a 5k Race for Life this summer - so thank you for such a good post. Hope your toes recover soon.
  • BldHny2002
    Options
    The takeaway I hope you c25k people take from this is that I didn't quite follow the program... I mean, I did, I tried, but essentially I gave up and tried something new, and accomplished the same goal. But seriously I'm not trying to bag on the program, I loved it! It was a great intro to running for me! I just couldn't pause while running for a walk break. :) My body just got used to the running, then it adjusted for the walking and said "Screw this, I already ran today like three minutes ago for like 10 minutes! Aren't you far enough?" :laugh:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you became a runner when you took your first steps on c25k! congratulations on a huge accomplishment!
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. C25K is a great beginner programme. I was buzzing when I finished it :). Good luck with your bridge to 10K journey :). Running is great when you get into it :).

I also have the same blood stain on my running shoes from the same thing...

Ax
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!