Suggestions for non walking person's exercises

Options
Hi buddies......I needed some suggestions and tips for exercises I can do I can stand and transfer in and out of my wheelchair, but can't walk well. I am looking for strength exercises and losing weight exercises. I really love this site and I look forward to logging in with my food diary each day. I would enjoy hearing from all of you if you have any ideas for me to try. I have a long ways to go with my weight loss, but I am breaking it off a little at a time. I need support and encouragement just like yourself and I love giving back the same to people in need. Let me know if you have any ideas for me

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    dont have any suggestions and hope someone will, but I wanted to let you know that everyone here is really supportive and its great to have a ear when you need someone to listen.

Have you discussed with your doctor any exercises that they would recommend?
  • carolmertins
    Options
    Hello,

I have seen programs on TV that offer exercises while sitting in a chair/wheelchair. Go for it!!!
  • My600PdLife
    My600PdLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello, there are some chair exercise dvd's on amazon.com. I've tried chair exercises before and they are just as much of a work out as any other. Who would think that a paper plate could feel so heavy, lol. Have fun, good luck.. You can do it. :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Do some punches while in your chair. Jabs, hooks, upper cuts. Do 'em fast, but don't snap the elbows. Not only can you work up a sweat, but it feels good when you pretend that you're punching someone you're mad at!! heehee!
    Good luck to you!
    Steph
  • 123gonnareachit
    Options
    Seated Jumping Jacks
    If you are able, this one will get your heart rate going and move your legs and arms. Sit up tall, place your feet flat on the floor or on the footrest of the wheelchair or scooter. Stretch your arms out to the side, then clap them over your head. Pick your feet up, spread them as far as you can, then put them together again on the floor or footrest. See if you can do both arms and legs at the same time. If not, that is fine, do arms first, then legs.

Read more: How to Exercise Sitting Down | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4857697_exercise-sitting-down.html#ixzz0r4YVNQWk
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    I teach aerobics and there is a lot of things you can do with minimal walking. If you want to focus on strenngth training. You can do "chair squats" where you would stand and hover over your chair. You can do tricep dips by lifting your bottom off the chair and dipping your hips ad back up! You can also do leg lifts. Put some ankle weights on and try rasing your leg to hip level. You can bend you knees and lift both legs to work your abs...

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!
  • ecerutti
    ecerutti Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a physical therapist and am used to working with chair bound individuals. It sounds like people are giving you great ideas. Really any arm exercise that are quick and continuous are really going to get your heart rate up. If you can get a hand bike or arm bike this is great cardio that will really get your heart rate up. It would also be easy to get the resistance exercise bands and you can do the punches or rows or hamstring curls...etc. With those all it take is a little creativity. Hope this helps!
  • skysilver
    skysilver Posts: 73
    Options
    Hello Ruthie and welcome, I joined two days ago. Being in a wheelchair is difficult but guess what, there are exercises for you to do. I'm sure you probably have done physio, if so then continue the moves.
    ONE= You could put your hands on the wheelchair arms and push up slowly and hold for the count of ten, if this is too much then how ever long you can. Repeat this a few times a day.
    TWO= when your in bed lie as flat against the mattress as you can and lift one leg up however high you can and hold for ten and then the other leg- remember it need not be ten. repeat night and mornings.
    THREE= you say you can get in and out of your chair- one excellent one is to simply do that- for a few min at a time get in and out of your chair but each time touch your toe if not touch your knees.

If you enter " exercises for those in a wheelchair" you come across great websites.

You will lose weight because here you are joining everyone with the same journey ahead :smile:
    I WILL BE HEAR IF YOU WANT TO LET OFF STEAM!!!
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am an Occupational Therapy student and one of my professors was talking about Chair Dancing today as a therapy activity. I am sure it is a great workout and fun as well :smile: Here is a website with some videos you could do at home. Hope this helps! http://www.chairdancing.com/
  • ruthie482002
    Options
    I read the feedback from all of you and went on google and looked up chair exercises. I found a wealth of information and illustrations of some of the exercises and I found Chair Dancing!!!Before I ordered the 3 dvd set , I went and looked in EBay and found one of the newer ones chair dancing through the decades. I put a bid on it and WON . I got it for a song (so to speak) $1.25. (shipping was more than that!)So now I am on my way!!! I got up this morning and for 15 minute I did arm stretches, waist bends and picked up my feet (like marching)I started my breathing up and I felt good all day today. I will come back and tell you how I am doing in about 3 wkks into my chair dancing!! Thank you so much for all the suppoet and suggestions. You all are a big help to me!