How do you guys even meet your calorie minimum?

Options
I always end up around 900-1100 calories even when I think I've binged really badly. Are there any healthy 100 cal. foods that you recommend I snack on to at least meet 1300?

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    its quite easy to meet it- EAT! dont be afraid of eating healthy calories. avoid empty carbs like 100cal packs of chips, pretzels, and cookies- they will never fill u and wont do anything for your body. enjoy some fruit, lean meats and veggies, yogurt (a great 100-cal option if u truly want 100 cals) , a protein bar, etc- and enjoy it.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Try adding calorie dense foods like oils or nuts. A little goes a looooooong way to add calories. Try adding some olive oil when you cook, 1 tbs is 120 calories.
  • Ruvaak
    Ruvaak Posts: 3
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, I do make sure that it's healthy haha. Thanks for the information about the oil and nuts, I'll be sure to try that.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, healthy oils, meat, seafood and dairy. Peanut butter and milk are good and calorie-dense. Make sure you eat enough to ensure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yep, healthy fats are the way to add calores easily.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I always end up around 900-1100 calories even when I think I've binged really badly. Are there any healthy 100 cal. foods that you recommend I snack on to at least meet 1300?

If you are having trouble meeting your target, you should not be asking for 100 cal snacks - why limit it to 100 calories?. Plus, and I am not trying to be mean here, but if you think you have binged and have only eaten 900 - 1,100 calories, I would suggest that you re-assess your relationship with food.

What are your eating to only end up at that amount? You should look to more calorie dense foods such as nuts and seeds (and nut and seed butters), full fat dairy, avocados, add dressings/oils and butters to your foods. Make sure you get enough protein - if you eat meat, have some bacon and seafood. Throw a calorie dense protein bar in.
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Even a banana is 100 calories. At the end of the day snack on some fruit and some nuts or grab a spoonful of peanut butter. On my low cal days that's what I do and it seems to work for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, I do make sure that it's healthy haha. Thanks for the information about the oil and nuts, I'll be sure to try that.

Pre-log your food and try to get plan enough food to hit your macro and calorie targets. Eat to that plan. Your appetite can be out of whack due to hormone imbalances whereby you cannot 'trust' them to eat just when hungry.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat more, period. Avocados, full fat dairy, meat, eggs, fish, etc. Just eat more food, period. And try to find something calorie-dense and healthy. Find healthy fats and eat those. Coconut oil, olive oils, real butter, avocados, avocado oil, etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

If you're thinking you're binging and finding out you're not, then you're just using the food diary to record your food, rather than using it to PLAN your foods.

Big difference. Start planning.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I like to put food in my mouth and then swallow it. Chewing is optional but I recommend it for most things. I would use this as a good starting point.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Plan.

Buy groceries.

Eat.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic 0% Yogurt. 100 cals and a ton of protein. Fruit is always good. Rice cake and a tablespoon of peanut butter. I used to do the same thing and then I realized I was going to go into starvation mode and stall if I didn't start eating the calories I was supposed. Oh, and Fat Free Fig Newtons!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

900 calories? I'd seriously be starving on that! Don't be scared to eat foods that have more than 100 calories in them. Eat foods high in proteins with some good fats and carbs. Cheese is a good snack and over 100 calories/serving...sane with a serving of almonds. It's really not that hard to hit a 1300 calorie goal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1950 calories and I have no problem meeting it!

Nuts, nut butters, avocado, whole eggs, full fat dairy, olive and coconut oils....calorie dense foods that pack a lot of good cals into small portions.

My dairy is open, feel free to have a look.
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    I think that dairy is usually a pretty good option for calories (especially if you need fat/protein)--cheese sticks and greek yogurts are pretty good for snacks and have a lot of protein. Dried fruits or nuts are pretty calorie dense so that might be a good option.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy. labeling foods like that is disordered thinking and is often a sign of orthorexia nervosa, which is a mental illness (of sorts) that causes people to obsess about what foods they can or cannot eat while trying to adhere some artificial standard by which they can measure the "quality" of their dietary choices.

instead of thinking as food as "good" or "bad" or "unhealthy" or "healthy", try thinking of food as simply fuel for your body.

you can eat whatever you want. just try to control your portions and frequency for some foods, and make sure you meet your daily macronutrient goals for each day.

now, after saying all of that... i believe the likely reason you are having trouble meeting your calorie goal is because you have cut out a huge number of calorie dense foods from your diet. you can add those back to in the right portion sizes to meet your goals. breads, pastas, nuts, dairy, etc. all have a place in a healthy diet.

try a half of a bagel with a slice of melted cheese. that would give you 125 or so calories very easily. or eat a whole bagel and get the full 250 calories. the key to proper nutrition has always been to have a diverse and varied diet.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    If you think you have "binged badly" and have that small of a calorie amount, you may want to talk to someone about your feelings toward food...doesnt sound healthy to me.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Fruit is yummy, healthy and has a good number of calories...wish I had your problem...