Trip to Mexico - What to do?

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
Hello, my wonderful boyfriend decided to buy me a trip to Mexico one day lol. We're leaving in less then a month and we're staying near Tulum at a resort for 5 days. Suggestions on what to do/what not to miss out on?

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    What part of Mexico?
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Do you mean TulUm?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Do you mean TulUm?
    Damn you got me before just as I was fixing the typo :tongue:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Drink enough Tequila this happens
    s043Ftl.gif
    and you can eat anything you want
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    The huge National Museum of Anthropology in Chapultepec (Grasshopper) Park in Mexico City is one of the most extensive of its kind in the world.

. Funny LandFun for all
    Attractions Lindavista - Vallejo Mexico City

Rent a BikeBikes for Rent
    Biking Condesa/Roma

View List On Map
    More Top 10 Lists
    Tours
    Cool Activities
    Family Friendly Attractions
    Historical Things to Do
    Museum Exhibits
    Outdoor Activities
    Things to Do Near Archeology Museum
    Unusual Things to Do
    Outdoor Attractions
    Active Things to Do
    Art Museums
    Attractions
    Cultural Activities
    Entertainment

Historic Sites
    Nature & Wildlife
    Offbeat Activities
    Outdoor Recreation
    Parks
    Religious Sites
    Romantic Things to Do
    Places to Shop
    Spas
    Sports Attractions
    Things to Do Around Mexico City
    Things to Do Near Benito Juarez Airport
    Things to Do Near Chapultepec Park
    Things to Do Near Dolores Olmedo Museum
    Things to Do Near Frida Kahlo Museum
    Things to Do Near Palacio de Bellas Artes
    Things to Do Near Statue of the Angel
    Things to Do Near Xochimilco Canals
    Things to Do Near Zocalo Square
    Aquariums

Floating Gardens of Xochimilco - Mexico City 1 1. Floating Gardens of XochimilcoIn the southern neighborhood

Picnics, Parks & Gardens
    Plaza San Jacinto - Mexico City 4 4. Plaza San JacintoThe Saturday Market is one of Mexico City's finest open-air art markets and takes place Saturdays in Plaza San Jacinto in San Angel.

Attractions San Angel / Altavista user rating save to list
    Funny Land - Mexico City 5 5. Funny LandFun for all

Ballet folklórico de Amalia Hernández - Mexico City

Museums Chapultepec /Polanco user rating save to list
    Rent a Bike - Mexico City

See all 570 Things to Do in Mexico City: 1 2 3
    The Best of NileGuide
    Having fun in Mexico City is pretty easy - if you know where to look for it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The Riviera Maya area is both incredibly beautiful and a tourist machine. Be prepared to be offered all sorts of deals, etc.. Avoid the time share offers. The Lonely Planet guide is a pretty good resource for the area.

Do you plan to spend time in Cancun?

What are you looking for?
  • motown13
    Options
    An awesomely fun eco park...

http://www.xcaret.com/

Even if you don't go, check out the website. I have been to Mexico two times and went both times, and would go again, most likely.
  • SaloMousa
    SaloMousa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You are lucky, im from Mexico, From Cancun :)
    Tulum is really near from here. I will tell u straight up things.
    People will make u pay more than other people like me. Why? They know u are tourists thats how mexicans are.
    You should come to cancun, and while u are in cancun you should DEFINETLY go to playa del carmen, mamitas beach club.
    Theres gloin go tb dj's live and the atmosphere its great. Ask for Xcaret, Xel-ha and tell the trip guy to take u on some CENOTES. You will have a great time here, im positive :)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I've been to Tulum...don't miss the Mayan ruins. Also rent a car and drive inland to see Chichen Itza - really amazing and one of the most memorable places I've ever been. We also drove a couple of hours to go to Coba (more ruins, much more ruined than Chichen Itza) and it was so fascinating to drive through the jungle, dotted with little towns made of stick houses. Lots of kids hanging out the speed bumps trying to sell you things, though. At one point a snake crossed the two-lane road ahead of us...it was so long that the head was already disappearing into the jungle on one side and the tail wasn't completely out of the jungle on the other side!

Other than that, just enjoy the food, the sun and the shopping. And be careful of the water. lol
  • SaloMousa
    SaloMousa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh and dont forget XPLOR! They are all like adventura parks, with snorkeling and fun stuff :)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    The Riviera Maya area is both incredibly beautiful and a tourist machine. Be prepared to be offered all sorts of deals, etc.. Avoid the time share offers. The Lonely Planet guide is a pretty good resource for the area.

I don't know what I'm looking for but I'm up for anything. I could probably use some relaxing but I'm a adrenalin junky so I'm up for anything. We'll probably spend some time in Cancun.
  • motown13
    Options

I don't know what I'm looking for but I'm up for anything. I could probably use some relaxing but I'm a adrenalin junky so I'm up for anything. We'll probably spend some time in Cancun.

Cancun is not really close to Tulum, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm guessing 3 - 4 hours away. Maybe that is not far for you, but for me, I call that much driving "wasted time"...... 6 - 8 hours round trip.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've not been to Tulum but have been to Cancun a bunch of times. I once had a trip scheduled to do a jungle tour with something called a sky cycle and snorkeling in the ceynotes... I wish we didn't have to miss it but my husband was supposed to dive the ceynotes but couldn't due to an ear infection so we called off the whole day.

You are also close enough to go to Cozumel for a day trip I think... snorkeling/diving there is supposed to be amazing. If I were going to that area again without my kids that's what I'd do.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Even if you don't go, check out the website. I have been to Mexico two times and went both times, and would go again, most likely.
    That place looks pretty fun. The underground swim looks pretty interesting. What was your favorite part?
  • delor44
    delor44 Posts: 71
    Options
    Went to tulum in 2011 and cannot wait to go back! It is about 2 hours from Cancun. Othwr posters have said this, but I will as well - go see the rruins. They are AMAZING!!! Also Xelha was a blast. Have fun!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's that far away. if i remember it was a 2-2.5 hr bus ride from the airport?

you have gotten a lot of good suggestions, what resort are you staying at? i have been to the mayan 6 times now and are going back this christmas /new years.
  • motown13
    Options

That place looks pretty fun. The underground swim looks pretty interesting. What was your favorite part?

Well, my favorite was the SCUBA walk, I think they call it.... basically you wear a helmet that feeds you oxygen while you walk on the ocean floor, and feed the fish. I swim, but my wife did it and loved it, and she can't swim at all... Her favorite was swimming with the dolphins. And one thing I enjoyed was finding shade and enjoying an icy cold beverage under a palapa, I think they call it? If you go, plan to be there ALL DAY,and I mean ALL DAY if you want to get the best bang for your buck.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    You are lucky, im from Mexico, From Cancun :)
    Tulum is really near from here. I will tell u straight up things.
    People will make u pay more than other people like me. Why? They know u are tourists thats how mexicans are.
    You should come to cancun, and while u are in cancun you should DEFINETLY go to playa del carmen, mamitas beach club.
    Theres gloin go tb dj's live and the atmosphere its great. Ask for Xcaret, Xel-ha and tell the trip guy to take u on some CENOTES. You will have a great time here, im positive :)
    I am lucky. I'm use to tourist traps, but thanks for the heads up. We arrive in Cancun and my mother will be staying there so I'll be sure to visit :)
  • motown13
    Options
    i don't think it's that far away. if i remember it was a 2-2.5 hr bus ride from the airport?

you have gotten a lot of good suggestions, what resort are you staying at? i have been to the mayan 6 times now and are going back this christmas /new years.

Well, you may be right, but last year it took 2+ hours ti get to the Iberostar, that is south of Playa Del Carmen. In any case, still a lot of time on the road when you only have 5 days, IMO.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I've been to Tulum...don't miss the Mayan ruins. Also rent a car and drive inland to see Chichen Itza - really amazing and one of the most memorable places I've ever been. We also drove a couple of hours to go to Coba (more ruins, much more ruined than Chichen Itza) and it was so fascinating to drive through the jungle, dotted with little towns made of stick houses. Lots of kids hanging out the speed bumps trying to sell you things, though. At one point a snake crossed the two-lane road ahead of us...it was so long that the head was already disappearing into the jungle on one side and the tail wasn't completely out of the jungle on the other side!

Other than that, just enjoy the food, the sun and the shopping. And be careful of the water. lol
    I love snakes! <3