Success? Pics of progress....

Options
Back story: I am a full-time working mother of 3 kids (ages 5, 3, and 18 months). Last fall, I joined the Y and initially made it there 2-3 times a week. In mid-January, I joined this site and kicked up my workouts to 6-7 days a week and started watching my diet a lot more.

Note, my weight really didn't change much. I am 5'7" and range between 124-128 lbs consistently. I really was looking to firm up more than lose weight.

I do 31 minutes on the elliptical (varying my intensity during my workout) and strength training twice a week on the Cybex machines. About 10 days ago, I added pushups to my routine and am now focusing on my core. Still looking to firm up my abs some, but I'm hoping that will continue. I don't want to be super muscular, but be firm yet have some of my softness, if that makes sense (keep some curves).

It's crazy to me that my weight didn't change!

Not sure how these will show up, but the fine print says "10-20-2012" for the first pic and "03-17-2013"

Compare_front_new_zpsea1798a5.jpg

compare_side_new_zps053afee8.jpg

compare_rear_new_zps83fc1af5.jpg

Thanks for looking. I see so many inspiring people on here and this is definitely my new lifestyle! :smile:

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great, your mid section has definitely changed and so has your back. Just to change it up why not try completely reversing your routine and do 3-4 days of weight training and 2-3 of elliptical madness.

Don't be afraid to lift, you will not get huge unless you are supplementing with hormones and eating at a surplus. Also; since you've joined the Y you should consider trying out some free weights, maybe have the trainer walk you through some. Overall free weights force you to not only lift but control and balance the weight as you move it therefore giving a much better overall workout.

Worst that could happen is you don't like the direction you're headed after a couple of months and you go back to what you're doing now.

By way of example, my wife has been lifting heavy with me for a few months and has not gotten appreciably larger on any part of her body but she has gotten much tighter in her core, shoulders, back, and thighs.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    wow looking great, i wish i could get my tummy looking like that!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I would love to do free weights, but have no idea where to start. I know a basic arm curl, and that's about it. I don't want to look like an idiot!! I hate trying to figure things out in front of people.
  • lin7604
    Options
    the only weight stuff i do is in my dvd's i do at home. That way i have someone to follow and know what to do :) i do 30ds, rin30, slim in 6 and 6 week 6 pack.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    the only weight stuff i do is in my dvd's i do at home. That way i have someone to follow and know what to do :) i do 30ds, rin30, slim in 6 and 6 week 6 pack.

Yeah, I prefer the gym simply because at home, my kids would never let me complete even 5 minutes of a DVD. LOL, I've tried! I have to wait until they're in bed which can be as late as 10:30.
  • lin7604
    Options
    omg... lol... ya that is the only time i can do it but my son is in bed at 8 so 8:30 it is for exercise time..
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    I would like to inch their bedtime back to a normal time but it never works out. LOL!!
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    I also did one of all the progress, as I can see a difference in my back from 2 months ago, when I joined MFP and increased my workout intensity. :smile:

all4comparerear_zps7dd1bdb1.jpg
  • mhwiggins
    mhwiggins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    um.......if I may say........your butt looks alot firmer!! Just sayin'!!
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    um.......if I may say........your butt looks alot firmer!! Just sayin'!!

Thank you!!! DH agreed, he felt me up a little the other day and he doesn't throw around compliments lightly. :) Thanks again!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I would love to do free weights, but have no idea where to start. I know a basic arm curl, and that's about it. I don't want to look like an idiot!! I hate trying to figure things out in front of people.

You have nothing to fear there, just look at the complaint threads on here, most gyms have people who have NO idea what they're doing in the weight room and we all have to start somewhere.

I would say start with a basic routine that emphasizes compounds like squats, dead lifts, overhead presses, bench presses etc. All of these exercises and most others you could ever think of are WELL detailed and documented on youtube. I have a few good guys at the Y I talk to that are always there at the same time I go who are powerlifters. They, and youtube (more youtube than them at first) have helped me get things in line.

Your man thinks your butt has gotten firmer now, wait till you're squatting heavy *kitten*'s gonna get real! You're doing great now and there's all kinds of jealous females watching you already I'm sure. it's always good to push for progress.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    Thank you!

You have nothing to fear there, just look at the complaint threads on here, most gyms have people who have NO idea what they're doing in the weight room and we all have to start somewhere.

I would say start with a basic routine that emphasizes compounds like squats, dead lifts, overhead presses, bench presses etc. All of these exercises and most others you could ever think of are WELL detailed and documented on youtube. I have a few good guys at the Y I talk to that are always there at the same time I go who are powerlifters. They, and youtube (more youtube than them at first) have helped me get things in line.

Your man thinks your butt has gotten firmer now, wait till you're squatting heavy *kitten*'s gonna get real! You're doing great now and there's all kinds of jealous females watching you already I'm sure. it's always good to push for progress.

Thank you so much! I have seen the term "dead lifts" and have no idea what it is, but Youtube is a great resource. I'll look up some vids, take some notes, and go to the gym with a new confidence.

And thank you so much!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Great job! You do NOT have the body of a woman who has birthed 3 babies! I'd suggest looking at the bodybuilding.com site to get some guidance for lifting. They have a huge section of different exercises with videos that show proper form. Keep up the great work! :smile:
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    Great job! You do NOT have the body of a woman who has birthed 3 babies! I'd suggest looking at the bodybuilding.com site to get some guidance for lifting. They have a huge section of different exercises with videos that show proper form. Keep up the great work! :smile:

Thank you!! I'll take all the advice I can get. And yes, I don't want to start lifting unless I am sure I have proper form. I get confused easily about that kind of stuff. Thank you!!!