Looking for advice to fight cravings and control portions

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal and I would like to know what people do to fight cravings and control portions. I exercise regularly and have been able to maintain a reasonable weight but I want to start eating better in order to trim down. I have a sweet tooth and like to snack when I get bored during the long Wisconsin winters, so I am defeating the gains I make during my workouts. I look forward to your tips.

Replies

• jenlatham
    jenlatham Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water or tea. Dill pickles cut sweet cravings and are almost no cal.
  • mverburgt
    mverburgt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been trying to drink more water now versus diet soda.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My big craving is chocolate and so I have a little chocolate - like a hershey kiss (30 cal) a day to curb this. It works pretty much - there are some days that I might need two, but just knowing that I get that one is enough.
  • mindyt23
    mindyt23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    To fight cravings you almost need to withdrawl from them for a couple days, it's tough but I find if I start the morning out with sugar, I want it the rest of the day, same with chips! Get your sugars from fruit for a couple days, then I give myself a "Me Day" like friday or saturday to eat what i want (within reason and moderation). But just knowing I get 'a day, helps me stay focused until then. A big bowl of crunchy veggies prepared for instant snacking helps too!! Good Luck!
  • drugrug
    drugrug Posts: 50
    Options
    Eat fruit for that sweet tooth!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I feel the best way to prevent snacking is to stop buying any foods you feel you might crave. For instance, I don't keep any chips, chocolate, or cheese in the house because I know I will end up eating it if it's there. As far as portions go, I stick to the recommended serving sizes listed on the product, and just try to make sure I stay within my recommended intake for the day. Also, I find that it works best for me to drink something instead of snacking on food late at night. I LOVE Nestle's fat free 20 calorie hot cocoa mix!!:love:
  • anicapauline
    Options
    I think planning your meals in advance (and planning snacks) helps you manage what you eat. Using smaller plates is commonly given as portion control advice. Also if you do snacks on chips or something its best to put them in a bowl and sit down at a table.

Good luck!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    For some people cutting down on artificial sweeteners, added sugars, and excessive carbohydrates has been helpful with reducing cravings and over-consumption. You can choose lower sugar fruits such as berries, melons, peaches, or nectarines. It can take a while to get used to reduced sugar, but it doesn't take long.
  • lvmygsp
    lvmygsp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the best way to prevent snacking is to stop buying any foods you feel you might crave. For instance, I don't keep any chips, chocolate, or cheese in the house because I know I will end up eating it if it's there. As far as portions go, I stick to the recommended serving sizes listed on the product, and just try to make sure I stay within my recommended intake for the day. Also, I find that it works best for me to drink something instead of snacking on food late at night. I LOVE Nestle's fat free 20 calorie hot cocoa mix!!:love:

^^^^This is it in a nutshell. I just cannot keep marshmallows or oreos in my house. Period. If I do, I will eat ALL of them. If I don't buy them, I don't eat them.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Portion control is easy, measure everything!

As for cravings, I do as a previous poster suggested and completely avoid sugars and grains for a week or so. I don't even eat fruit for that week, just veggies and protein. After that, I can indulge in occasional treats without bingeing.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am new to myfitnesspal and I would like to know what people do to fight cravings and control portions. I exercise regularly and have been able to maintain a reasonable weight but I want to start eating better in order to trim down. I have a sweet tooth and like to snack when I get bored during the long Wisconsin winters, so I am defeating the gains I make during my workouts. I look forward to your tips.

First I am eating more protein and fiber (salads, fresh fruits, pb, whole grains) meaning I stay full longer and don't need all the snacks I used to have. Second I am drinking more water and less dt soda. Third I am then able to plan my sweets. For instance I had Girl Scout cookies today and yesterday I had a Milky Way. Now I normally would not have had the candy bar but it was a rotten day so I gave myself the treat. Good Luck I just started in January and the past 2 weeks I have stalled but hope this week to make some forward movement.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Hobbies that keep me moving and/or keep my hands busy, and most importantly keep my brain otherwise engaged and not thinking about food, work best for me. In my case, that means dancing and drawing, but before I started doing those things again, I would go shopping just to get away from my fridge.

Also, if I am actually hungry, I will eat. The trick for me was to find out what foods make me crave more (carbs in my case) and what foods seem to satisfy me until it's time for another meal (protein and a moderate amount of fat, in my case). I eat vegetables, but not by themselves.