Rewards...

Options
So tell me - do you reward yourself for your weight loss (or gain if that is what you are after)??

I set my weight loss in blocks of 5kg (11lb) and I give myself a reward when I hit that goal. Of course it's a non food reward because other wise that is just silly.

I reached 5kg in 7 weeks a little while back and yesterday was my reward - an hour long massage..

What rewards do you give yourself?

I'd love to hear what they are!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mira2602
    mira2602 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went for facial few days ago, as reached my 80kg -what is less than my pre-pregnancy weight.
    Once, I reach 75kg I plan to go shopping:)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Tattoos. I reward myself in ink for bigger goals. my final goal will see a completed shoulder plus quarter or half sleeve, i'm not completely decided. My mini reward for sticking to my calories weekly is a piece of workout gear. Last week I got a Barbell, this week a pair of shorts and tank top for working out in. Next week a new sports bra as my band size has shrunk.
  • leastar128
    Options
    I wasn't thinking about doing the reward thing, but a friend of mine brought it up to me and said that I should try it. It actually helps me reach my goals easier/faster I think and it's always so nice when you get there- we work SO hard, why not reward ourselves for a job well done?! As long as it's non-food like you said. Also, many of my rewards tie into my fitness/health needs. Here are some examples of mine, so far I have hit the first and second. There are in no particular order: HRM, new running shoes, new work out clothes/gym bag etc, massage, new bra (want to wait until I go down more and hopefully by then I can shop at Victoria's Secret ;), bread maker...ENJOY your rewards! I don't think there is anything wrong with it :smile:
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow.. great rewards so far!!

I'm going to have to put a new tattoo (or two or more!) on my list too!!

And yes I find I have been treating myself to work out gear too - I have found working out in a nice dry fit t-shirt makes me feel better than doing it in a ratty T..

You guys are just awesome!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've been rewarding myself with new running gear.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an ipad when I hit goal weight.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I didn't set out to reward myself but then started to buy things... I digital scale, workout videos I now have a good collection, a HRM, workout shirts, and now new sneakers (amassing those also have at least 4 or 5 pairs). Just hit my 1 year on MFP and hubs gave Me his yearly bonus to go buy myself something contemplating a Ninja blender and getting rid of my magic bullet. :happy:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    For me, workout gear isn't reward--it's necessary. It would be like being an accountant, and getting rewarded for a good job by being given a new calculator. I mean, you might like the calculator and all, and it might have big shiny buttons, but after all, it's still just a functional item you need to get the job done.

My first reward was Popeye's chicken, which fit fine within my day's calories so wasn't a "cheat,"just a nice tasty treat. My upcoming reward will be a book I've wanted for a while. After that, I haven't decided--possibly a DVD.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    For me, workout gear isn't reward--it's necessary. It would be like being an accountant, and getting rewarded for a good job by being given a new calculator. I mean, you might like the calculator and all, and it might have big shiny buttons, but after all, it's still just a functional item you need to get the job done.

I should have qualified my comment, then.

I bought PRETTY running gear, that I DIDN"T NEED, because I already had sufficient gear. The Pretty stuff made me happy.

PS - I'm an accountant, and I get damn excited about fancy calculators, FWIW
  • 0hhCarolina
    Options
    I love this post, as I've been oohing and ahhing lately about how to stay motivated, and rewards are always a fun way. The first time I lost 60 post-pregnancy pounds, I bought a pound of non-perishable food for each pound I lost (weekly), and then donated the 60 lbs to my local food bank when I reached goal. It was a great feeling!

I've been trying to think now of what would I like to splurge on that I don't normally buy, and something that I don't want tied to weight loss success. Like clothes I like to treat myself now and then, and don't like the feeling of being denied that when I'm struggling with my weight loss.

I think that I'm going to buy an art book (I'm taking art classes these days) for each 5 lbs and then one for each year of maintenance. I figure I can still get the books from the library, and a new one from time to time will feel like a treat.
  • 0hhCarolina
    Options
    Actually I was just thinking of what was said about food rewards. I've always considered them counterproductive, but this thread made me think a bit more about it.

I am thinking that a special food reward might in fact be good, like on something that I love but that is quite luxurious like sushi at a good restaurant or something high quality but not necessarily off plan. Even something like fresh figs which I love but feel like such an indulgence price-wise, but they're actually healthy.

So, why not avoid junk foods that I am tempted with, and fast food, and wait to reward myself with really great and memorable things, like expensive wine and a good dinner.
  • jennyjee18
    Options
    I have a reward set up for my 12 week mark - a luxurious body scrub/wrap/facial treatment at the spa. This is definitely a treat for me, because I normally don't want to spend over $100 on anything that isn't tangible. Plunking down that kind of cash for just an "experience" (even one that will leave my skin feeling amazing and my mood boosted) is something that makes my wallet shrink in fear. :laugh:

I have about 3 weeks or so left and I've told myself that I must keep on task in order to get this spa treatment. It's working, as I'm working out 2x/day 6d/week. :happy:
  • butterflykoffee
    butterflykoffee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love fresh flowers so years ago when I was losing weight with WW, I would go buy myself a rose or carnation. It would remind me all week long that I did a good job but also a reminder to stay on track. Bigger weight loss could be rewarded with a plant, new book or even a new pair of earrings. I know one time I even got a pedicure as I love them! Rewards are good :flowerforyou:
  • danceaway100
    danceaway100 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Reading about all the rewards was so much fun and gave me some really great ideas. I haven't yet made a short term weight goal so maybe the idea of a reward will help me do that. My husband suggested 5lbs by the end of the month and I told him that 5 pounds was a tiny drop of water in an oversized bucket when compared to what I need to lose and that it seemed ridiculus to even set a goal for only 5lbs. He told me to go pick up a 5lb bag of sugar and see if I still felt that way. It was an eyeopening event. I think that everyone who is just starting a diet should go pick up the 5lb bag of sugar as soon as they have lost their 1st 5lbs so they can feel exactly what they just got rid of!
  • Skeleton_Keys
    Skeleton_Keys Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As someone already said things like workout gear is kind of essential, but shiny new things you don't necessarily need are more of a treat. Personally I just bought some new running shoes and socks. I also just got some earrings. I know I've planned that when I hit 200 lbs I'd like to get a piercing. Ultimately at my goal weight I'd like a tattoo. :)
  • pjammer10
    pjammer10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've decided to "pay" myself $5 a week for not eating fast food. Not sure yet what i will get or how long I will save up for before I decide to cash in though.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Okay -- here's the reward for hitting the goal weight -- it's sitting in a box hidden somewhere in my daughter's room -- I can't wait to add this little one to my collection but I have to hit my goal weight which is about 5 pounds away:

566804581_tp.jpg

I've collected these cute little mice for about 30 years (since I was a kid). I even had mice on my wedding cake! (They are made by a very sweet family that has a mouse factory outside of Boston -- Wee Forest Folk is the name of the collection.)
  • catmanor
    Options
    Actually I was just thinking of what was said about food rewards. I've always considered them counterproductive, but this thread made me think a bit more about it.

I am thinking that a special food reward might in fact be good, like on something that I love but that is quite luxurious like sushi at a good restaurant or something high quality but not necessarily off plan. Even something like fresh figs which I love but feel like such an indulgence price-wise, but they're actually healthy.

So, why not avoid junk foods that I am tempted with, and fast food, and wait to reward myself with really great and memorable things, like expensive wine and a good dinner.

I Like your way of thinking!!
  • catmanor
    Options
    Okay -- here's the reward for hitting the goal weight -- it's sitting in a box hidden somewhere in my daughter's room -- I can't wait to add this little one to my collection but I have to hit my goal weight which is about 5 pounds away:

566804581_tp.jpg

I've collected these cute little mice for about 30 years (since I was a kid). I even had mice on my wedding cake! (They are made by a very sweet family that has a mouse factory outside of Boston -- Wee Forest Folk is the name of the collection.)

Omigosh that is sooo cute!! an awesome reward!
  • oh_you_sassy
    Options
    Well, I have never rewarded myself for weight loss. I started using MFP for keeping myself in line with not using my disordered eating, to keep track of what I'm doing and to keep my numbers healthy. Any loss is just a benefit, I just never want to binge and purge again. It is two and a half years today since my last binge and purge! But I don't actually do any sort of reward anymore. I did at 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, but stopped after that. Now this is more like a habit to keep me in line!
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I've got a current goal of getting to my first goal before the 28th of March - if I do that I can go to a movie before the 28th, and if I'm still at my first goal by the 28th I can go to another movie. If I reach it after the 28th I can only go to one movie. Currently thinking I can just squeeze in my first goal before the 28th, but I'll wait and see.