What to make with (mashed) canned pumpkin?

Options

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I make homemade Pumpkin-Tortelloni (or Ravioli) with a Maple-Apple Bechamel... Nasoya puts out a wheat flour won-ton wrapper that are PERFECT for making pasta...
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    smoothie, tastes just like drinking pumpkin pie....put the pumpkin, greek yogurt, skim milk (cinnamin or other spice you like) with ice---you can also add protein powder if you like--place it in a ninja or blender.....REALLY YUMMY!!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Pumpkin muffins
    Pumpkin bread
    Pumpkin icing
    Pumpkin cookies
    Pumpkin cake

Thats all the ideas I have....
  • Lorelei19
    Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you boil it with some low fat milk (whichever you prefer) and some pumpkin pie spice, then put it in a container in the fridge, you have a nice creamer for your coffee.
  • Greycat1
    Greycat1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for Creamy Instant Pumpkin Mousse. It is in the cookbook Eat What You Love. I have tried it and it is very good.

1 (15) ounce can Pumpkin
    1 (4 ounce) sugar free instant vanilla pudding, dry
    3/4 cup low fat milk
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ginger
    1/8 tsp cloves
    1 (8 ounce) container fat free whipped topping

Mix all together and refrigerate.

This is listed in the MFP food data base.

Enjoy!!!!

Kristy
  • GBethPowers
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! It looks yummy!
  • GBethPowers
    Options
    Kristy (Greycat1),

Does the sugar free instant pudding have splenda in it? If so I cannot have it. Splenda tears my system up. If it is slenda I wonder what I can use instead. I will have to research and let you know. Thanks!
  • jmikels67
    jmikels67 Posts: 116
    Options
    Bump!
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Kristy (Greycat1),

Does the sugar free instant pudding have splenda in it? If so I cannot have it. Splenda tears my system up. If it is slenda I wonder what I can use instead. I will have to research and let you know. Thanks!

Can you eat Truvia? It comes from stevia and is natural, no artifical stuff. Its 0 calories, too.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I will Definitely try most/all of these soon :P the oatmeal and soup sound particularly delicious (: I made some pumpkin spice cream cheese today, here's where I got the recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/343589-if-you-re-a-pumpkin-lover
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    pumpkin cookies!!

a spice cake mix, 1 can pumpkin, 1 bag mini semi sweet chocolate chips mix all together...scoop small rounds on cookie sheet and bake 350 for 9-10 mins sooo yummy!!
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    Pumpkin rice sounds delicious.
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2377

I've made pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin waffles before, too.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to make with mashed pumpkin is a delicious recipe for a curry soup: Recipe from Dr. Oz website:

Cancer-Fighting Spicy Pumpkin Soup

The secret ingredient in this soup is antioxidant-rich pumpkin. The beta-carotene it contains can block the growth of cancerous cells. Easy to make, this curried soup will keep you warm through the winter months.
    Added to Recipes on Wed 01/04/2012
    Ingredients
    2 cans of pumpkin (15 oz can)
    4 shallots
    2 tsp unsalted butter
    2 garlic cloves
    1 tsp ginger
    2 tbsp curry spice mix
    2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp chili sauce
    3 1/2 cups water
    2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 can unsweetened coconut milk ( not lowfat)
    Directions: Sauté shallots in butter until they are softened. Add garlic cloves, ginger and curry spice. Stir in the kosher salt, water, pumpkin, broth and coconut milk. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes. Puree, until smooth.

I have another recipe for a pumpkin bread that is a yeast bread....Makes beautiful sandwiches......send me a message if you are interested in that one.
  • brigitte101
    Options
    It seems like I buy pure pumpkin almost every week to make muffins (there really cupcakes but I dont put icing on them, they are that good. just get 1 box dark chacolate cake mix. add 1 cup pure pumpkin and 1 cup water and bake acccording to directions on the box. I also add 2 Tbs of chia seeds for added nutrion.
  • shariguymon
    Options
    bump
  • SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My Favorite thing to do with pumpkin is make brownies, Trust me you cannot even taste the pumpkin, but incredible moist and delicious brownies.
    Take 1 15oz can of 100% real pumpkin and add 1 regular chocolate cake mix. I actually prefer to use devils food my self. The mixture will be thick DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS. This will make 24 regular size brownies. I use muffin pans for easier separation and a ice cream scoop to fill. Bake at 350 for about 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Nutrition for these are:
    Calories per serving: 73
    Carbs: 15
    Fat 2
    Protein 1
    Sodium 138
  • TheWalkingWahine
    Options
    So many of these sound great, thanks! (bump) :-)
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I made pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes this morning.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    pumpkin soup

1 can mashed pumpkin, or 1 large cooked sugar pumpkin, mashed
    1 small onion sliced thin
    2 carrots, grated
    2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cup half and half
    1/2 tsp each nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon
    cooked crumbled bacon for garnish

Cook onion in a little butter until tender. Add carrots, broth, water,and spices. Simmer until carrots are softened. Puree pumpkin with carrot/onion mixture in batches. Add half and half, coarse-ground black pepper and salt to taste. Heat through. Serve with a sprinkle of cooked bacon on top.
  • shariguymon
    Options
    This is a basic yeast bread that uses pumpkin:

Pumpkin Bread
    Makes 3 loaves

2 packages active dry yeast
    1/4 C water*
    1/4 C sugar
    1 3/4 C milk, scalded
    1 Tbs. salt
    About 8 C. all-purpose flour
    2 Cups cooked pumpkin (canned or fresh)
    1/4 C melted butter or cooking oil

Sprinkle yeast into water *Use very warm water (105-115 degrees F)

Let stand for a few minutes, then stir until dissolved.

Add 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Combine scalded milk, salt, and remaining sugar. Stir and cool until lukewarm (80-90 degrees F)

Combine yeast mixture and cooled-milk mixture and stir to blend.

Add 2 and 1/2 C. flour and beat until batter is very smooth.

Add pumpkin, cooled melted butter or oil. Mix well

Add enough of remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Turn dough out on lightly floured board.

Cover with bowl, let rise for 10 minutes.

Round up and place in a greased bowl; turn once to bring greased side up. Cover and let stand in a warm place (85 degrees F) let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough, turn over in bowl, and let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Turn out on board and divide into 3 equal portions. Quickly round up, cover with bowls and let rest for 10 minutes

Shape into loaves. Place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.

Bake in preheated hot oven (400 degrees F) for 15 minutes; reduce heat to moderate (375 degrees F) and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until well browned.

Turn out on racks to cool, uncovered and away from drafts.

This is an old recipe from Women’s Day Encyclopedia of Cookery- Volume 9.

If you want ideas for more variations search for: Pumpkin Yeast Bread on Pinterest.