What has YOGA done for you?

Options
Good evening! I am very interested in beginning yoga. I am hoping some of you can share your stories with me on how Yoga has helped you and how often you do yoga, I have a bad back and hoping this can help with some of my issues.

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Years ago I started exercising mainly with cardio, then decided to add strength training. I noticed I was tightening up some so a friend was getting certified in yoga and needed "students". She was amazed when testing me for flexibility before and after, about 6 week later, I think, by how much I'd improved. The class was twice a week. I loved it even though some moves needed to be modified. Some of the moves I learned certainly help when my back bothers me. And another woman was referred to the class because of back issues that included surgery. Well worth looking into.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I do it once or twice a week as a compliment to weight training and running. I think it's helped me prevent injuries in general and has greatly improved my balance and flexibility. It's the only workout I do that leaves me feeling like I've just had a massage-- especially when there are more balance postures. I've been told that it makes you use a lot of little stabilizer muscles that would likely go neglected otherwise.
  • mhwiggins
    mhwiggins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    considering the same thing! I've lost the weight and started weight training/cardio but need to work on flexibility. I'd be interested in any feed back anybody give.......
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yoga strengthens and realigns the body parts. I am a runner and if I don't do yoga I have more pain and I cannot run as well.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Where do I begin?

It keeps me sane. Seriously. The physical changes are nothing in comparison to what it has done for my mood, my breathing, my sleep, my ability to face stressful situations, etc. Then for the physical aspects, my posture, my flexibility, my strength. It is honestly the best workout that I do, and I swim, bike, do circuits, etc. It is the only completely holistic exercise, in my opinion.

Oops - I will add that I do Vinyasa Flow about 4 times a week.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yoga is WONDERFUL!! I have noticed better strength in my arms and core, more flexibility, and better peace of mind. Find a good studio that does a nice 10 minutes of meditation at the end of class. That's the best part!!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yoga is amazing.. especially for runners. Love how it works my core and helps me stretch out very tight muscle groups. I've noticed that my breathing is different now... I try to do it a couple times a week.
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Where do I begin?

It keeps me sane. Seriously. The physical changes are nothing in comparison to what it has done for my mood, my breathing, my sleep, my ability to face stressful situations, etc. Then for the physical aspects, my posture, my flexibility, my strength. It is honestly the best workout that I do, and I swim, bike, do circuits, etc. It is the only completely holistic exercise, in my opinion.

This. Do hatha yoga about twice a week, then do an abbreviated version after my walks/runs about 4 times a week. it helps me deal with stress, which is huge in my life.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yoga makes stretching more fun and interesting, improves flexibility, helps with certain types of body weight strength, helps me with my past injuries, relaxing, reduces stress, makes me feel good, I do flow yoga and I enjoy the graceful movement quality.
  • wilki089
    wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this post. I have done really basic Yoga twice and it was fabulous!! I tried the P90X Yoga and did not enjoy it.

I teach Zumba and have been doing Insanity over the past 2 weeks. I'm getting really stiiff. UGH!! I will be taking my first "non basic" Yoga class tomorrow night after my Zumba class. Hopefully it will not be as difficult as the P90X version. Wish me luck!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I take an hour yoga class twice a week. It has improved my balance, flexibility, and feeling of well-being. I've had problems with bad knees, and combining yoga and weight loss has been very helpful. I also walk and ride a recumbent bike. I like the variety of cardio activities. Each keeps the others from turning into a dreaded routine.:wink:
  • KariKaz
    KariKaz Posts: 8
    Options
    I just started yoga recently and I absolutely love it! It is stress relieving, yet you are toning your body at the same time. I look forward to do doing my yoga. It helps so much with loosing up muscles. Just take your time and don't push yourself farther than your body can go, that is when you will hurt something.
  • Pammy820
    Pammy820 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight into yoga. I am excited and wait to find a class as soon as possible!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight into yoga. I am excited and wait to find a class as soon as possible!

There are really good yoga videos on YouTube.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Just curious if you go to classes or do this at home? I'm getting ready to start Ashtanga yoga and am excited about it.
    Where do I begin?

• MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started taking a yoga class three weeks ago at my local gym. It's a good end to my week long strength training workout. I sleep so much better and my flexibility is improving. Unfortunately my gym only offers the class once per week, otherwise I would attend more often. I've noticed my stress level has decreased significantly. Good luck and enjoy!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you go to classes or do this at home? I'm getting ready to start Ashtanga yoga and am excited about it.

I go to a yoga and spin studio. I recommend this route when you begin to ensure proper form and to get a little help with the alignment . It's a bit expensive in comparison to your basic gym but there is an astronomical difference in the instruction there versus my regular gym.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Good to know - thanks for the response!

I go to a yoga and spin studio. I recommend this route when you begin to ensure proper form and to get a little help with the alignment . It's a bit expensive in comparison to your basic gym but there is an astronomical difference in the instruction there versus my regular gym.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I started bikram yoga on 3/2/13 and currently doing a 30 day challenge. My core, balance and flexibility is much better after 15 days. I have a knee injury due to mild arthiritis and a baker's cyst on R knee. To date, weight is steady but hoping to lose my last 7 lbs but focusing on diet mainly!