Woosh!

Options
So I just learned tonight about "woosh". I have experienced it in the past, but didn't understand what it was until now. Still trying to understand it. It is where you do everything correctly diet and exercise wise and go in a calorie deficit yet don't notice any changes on the scale or in measurements for a few weeks. You even notice that your fat suddenly feels extra squishy (I have always noticed the squish before a big loss). And then suddenly weeks later, overnight you drop about 3 - 4 lbs.

The way I understand it is, your fat cells are losing fat and then will fill up with water temporarily as a protection mode and then will release the water? Is this correct? So the water in the fat cells while at a deficit is temporary? Or will your body continue to hold onto water as long as you're eating at a deficit? Someone told me not to eat at too low a deficit because I will hold onto water. Can it SERIOUSLY be this complicated? No wonder everyone struggles.

Also a friend who was a former boxer told me the at-home body wraps will take this water out of the cells while you're trying to lose. He had huge success with it, but he said you have to do it consistently.

What do you all think?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think body wraps are ridiculous and expensive. I wouldn't personally use them as a weight loss tool, as I prefer to eat and exercise to lose weight (water or otherwise) in a sane manner.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this fat cells filling with water thing. I've certainly had those woosh moments where weight drops off suddenly after sticking around for weeks on end, though. I always figured it was cyclic or exercise water weight related, though.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had two people tell me this week about the fat in the cells so I Googled it and sure enough it's there.
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you are a bit confused. The squishiness is basically bloating/water weight which can be from too much sodium in your diet or hormonal changes. What happens is water is pulled from your cells and muscles and concentrated directly beneath the skin taking away definition and giving you the "squishy" look as well as dehydrating you. This is a bad thing.

Generally you cannot lose body fat that drastically because it's not how the human body is designed. Fat cells are essentially stored fuel reserves. When you are eating at a deficit, your body must tap into its reserves for energy, but when you are eating at a caloric surplus it will just continue to fill up the gas tank so to speak. This is a survival mechanism and is non-negotiable. The thing about eating at a deficit is that the body will eventually adapt over time to running on a lower caloric input. This is why weight loss eventually plateaus after an extended period of progress. At this point its best to change other variables like increase energy output (exercise), or dietary changes (lower carbs).

Anyone who drops 3 - 20+ lbs in a relatively short period of time is only cutting water weight. There are many negative side effects to extreme dehydration, the most common being loss of consciousness, hypothermia, and organ damage.
    Athletes often cut weight for the purpose of competition. The most important thing to them after making their "weigh in/weight class" is rehydrating. The same goes for bodybuilding and fitness athletes who dehydrate themselves for the stage. The moment they step off, hydration is first thing they are concerned about. It is very common for people to pass out back stage or in mid cut because of the physical and mental toll it takes on the body. I want you to be very clear about this concept because it can be very dangerous.

Stay hydrated and consume less salt to keep water weight/bloating to a minimum. Hope that helps!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I think you are a bit confused. The squishiness is basically bloating/water weight which can be from too much sodium in your diet or hormonal changes. What happens is water is pulled from your cells and muscles and concentrated directly beneath the skin taking away definition and giving you the "squishy" look as well as dehydrating you. This is a bad thing.

Generally you cannot lose body fat that drastically because it's not how the human body is designed. Fat cells are essentially stored fuel reserves. When you are eating at a deficit, your body must tap into its reserves for energy, but when you are eating at a caloric surplus it will just continue to fill up the gas tank so to speak. This is a survival mechanism and is non-negotiable. The thing about eating at a deficit is that the body will eventually adapt over time to running on a lower caloric input. This is why weight loss eventually plateaus after an extended period of progress. At this point its best to change other variables like increase energy output (exercise), or dietary changes (lower carbs).

Anyone who drops 3 - 20+ lbs in a relatively short period of time is only cutting water weight. There are many negative side effects to extreme dehydration, the most common being loss of consciousness, hypothermia, and organ damage.
    Athletes often cut weight for the purpose of competition. The most important thing to them after making their "weigh in/weight class" is rehydrating. The same goes for bodybuilding and fitness athletes who dehydrate themselves for the stage. The moment they step off, hydration is first thing they are concerned about. It is very common for people to pass out back stage or in mid cut because of the physical and mental toll it takes on the body. I want you to be very clear about this concept because it can be very dangerous.

Stay hydrated and consume less salt to keep water weight/bloating to a minimum. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this post. I know I am confused, I was almost too confused to ask the question (lol). I learned a lot from this. So should I be sitting in a sauna daily then to avoid that junk that is trapped under the skin or am I still confused?
  • LOLATS38
    LOLATS38 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No. Saunas are dehydrating. It's the equivalent of going for a long walk in a desert. You need water for your organs to function. If you're holding water in your body (the 'woosh' you describe, and that my fellow poster explains in detail as being a bad thing), then cut back on sodium (follow a daily recommended sodium intake). That's what causes water retention.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So I just learned tonight about "woosh". I have experienced it in the past, but didn't understand what it was until now. Still trying to understand it. It is where you do everything correctly diet and exercise wise and go in a calorie deficit yet don't notice any changes on the scale or in measurements for a few weeks. You even notice that your fat suddenly feels extra squishy (I have always noticed the squish before a big loss). And then suddenly weeks later, overnight you drop about 3 - 4 lbs.

The way I understand it is, your fat cells are losing fat and then will fill up with water temporarily as a protection mode and then will release the water? Is this correct? So the water in the fat cells while at a deficit is temporary? Or will your body continue to hold onto water as long as you're eating at a deficit? Someone told me not to eat at too low a deficit because I will hold onto water. Can it SERIOUSLY be this complicated? No wonder everyone struggles.

Also a friend who was a former boxer told me the at-home body wraps will take this water out of the cells while you're trying to lose. He had huge success with it, but he said you have to do it consistently.

What do you all think?

This is what you are referring to

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

- ignore the wraps, they are for a temporary water reduction, which is ok for a boxer trying to make weight for a fight, but not lasting when it come to a normal person losing weight. If it were that easy everyone would just wrap themselves every day.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ^ yes, this. I've feel the balls under the skin he talks about and woosh every month just around the time my period starts. I don't eat a lot of sodium normally, it seems related to hormones more than anything.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for this post. I know I am confused, I was almost too confused to ask the question (lol). I learned a lot from this. So should I be sitting in a sauna daily then to avoid that junk that is trapped under the skin or am I still confused?
    You are still very confused. Sometimes that extra water is trying to help you repair muscles etc. That water could be preventing you from future injuries. You shouldn't be trying to get rid of the water in the body...since a significant portion of us are made of water. We are suppose to fluctuate in weight. You are not suppose to notice a constant decline in weight if your body is working right.

In the future I would refrain from explaining something when you do not know what it is, it could hinder someone who doesn't know where to get the right information so they may run off and try to dehydrate themselves to hell.

Please don't go around flushing everything out of your body. I've seen several posts by you now recommending people do this. It can be quite dangerous.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes I've read of the whoosh on Lyle McDonalds site and have experienced it. Your body will let go of the water a long as you keep up your water intake and you'll suddenly lose a couple of pounds.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    The sauna thing though is legit. I worked at a gym for years and learned one should sweat every day. It releases that crap that is trapped under your skin.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The sauna thing though is legit. I worked at a gym for years and learned one should sweat every day. It releases that crap that is trapped under your skin.

Generally when doctors say sweat is good for you they mean exercise. Not sit around dehydrated and overheated.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

Generally when doctors say sweat is good for you they mean exercise. Not sit around dehydrated and overheated.

LMAO! Damn! That sucks, lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

What do you all think?

This is what you are referring to

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

- ignore the wraps, they are for a temporary water reduction, which is ok for a boxer trying to make weight for a fight, but not lasting when it come to a normal person losing weight. If it were that easy everyone would just wrap themselves every day.

Word!