How Do I Avoid Plateaus?

Options
I keep on having plateaus, this time I want to avoid them because I desperately want to lose 2 stones by july ending. How can I avoid plateaus?

Replies

• GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't set your initial caloric deficit too low, you will see results even eating 100 or 200 cal below your BMR and it won't be any better than an extreme deficit of 500+ cal under. Once your weight loss plateaus, you'll have the option to continue your progress by decreasing your deficit another 1 or 200 cal. You can also change other variables like increasing exercise/expenditure by duration, intensity, volume or frequency. The point is to not go too extreme when starting out so you don't burn out and can have continued linear progression.

If you are utilizing carbohydrate moderation, be sure to include a refeed/higher carb day once a week so the parameters in your body have a chance to reset. Plateauing is just your body adapting to the changes you are putting it under, it's inevitable but if you give yourself more options you can delay it.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You can't guarantee avoidance of plateaus, it can happen to anyone. But you could certainly minimize the chance by doing it the healthy way; eating at 20% below your TDEE and not giving yourself a time limit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Not sure about avoiding them but you can do a lot of things to overcome them.

Quite simply, I'd advise changing things up a bit - your exercise routine (duration, type, intensity etc...), the types of food you're eating and changing your calorie goals. I just reduced mine for a week and overcame a 3 month plateau.
    Change things every few weeks (giving the last change time to see if it's working) - it'll also make things more interesting for yourself as well :smile:
  • Jademadeley
    Options
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is to log accurately (weigh food, measure liquids, create your own recipes, double check database entries), set a reasonable calorie goal (TDEE-20% works well for most people), and get some exercise.

You say you "keep" having them, but you've only been here a maximum of 18 days. What are you considering a plateau?
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    what i dont understand is the people on survivor. theyre hardly eating ANYTHING, yet they all become skeletal as the weeks go by. how do you explain that? why do we plateau when they clearly dont.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    what i dont understand is the people on survivor. theyre hardly eating ANYTHING, yet they all become skeletal as the weeks go by. how do you explain that? why do we plateau when they clearly dont.
    they're exercising, competing in physical challenges etc. they probably don't get much carbs either
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

@posterpens.....that's just a TV Show... don't think they don't eat when not being filmed! :laugh: