strength training??

Hi

If you are doin or know about this.. Could you please help me as do not know where to start (i hear its great for muscles and drops fat) but not sure whether to do it now (have 60+ lbs to lose) or when I have lost some weight first.. Advice needed :)

Replies

• LetFatGo
    LetFatGo Posts: 7
    P.s

I do not know where to start either :-/ whats the best exercise to burn fat and tone at the same time?
  • Lbriggs82
    Lbriggs82 Posts: 58
    Hi, Google Stronglifts 5x5. Its a great place to start with strength training. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and can see the difference already. :smile:
  • LetFatGo
    LetFatGo Posts: 7
    Thanks will do :)
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    I literally didn't know where to start either, and I just googled 'Strength training for beginners'. Currently in the process of increasing my weights :flowerforyou:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I'm personally a fan of any bodyweight strength training, especially for beginning. My favorite is Nerd Fitness (just google Nerd Fitness beginner and it should come right up!)

In regards to 'dropping fat' don't worry too much about which exercises are best or will make you lose fastest, etc. Just try to keep a balanced routine that you'll keep up with and can gradually intensify. Most people lose patience before weight because they try to jump in and do everything at once and get frustrated when it doesn't "work" in two weeks. Just put in a bit of cardio, a bit of strength training and remember that losing is 80% diet, 20% workout.

Best of luck!
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    In my opinion get a good balance and variety in your workouts, start with 5x 5 and some cardio, some ploymetrics, change it up :)
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    I do 5x5 and love it, but make sure you practice your form a lot! I'm taking a week off now because I didn't do that and now my back hurts. And don't feel like you have to progress as fast as the program - it goes up pretty quickly and you don't want to sacrifice form for more weight.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Hi, Google Stronglifts 5x5. Its a great place to start with strength training. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and can see the difference already. :smile:

this
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member

Same here :happy:
  • rdrage73
    rdrage73 Posts: 17 Member
    I would recommend P90x, or that type of program. It really helps you work the entire body and it's already laid out for you. And it has built in modifications so anyone can do it.
    As far as burning fat, you simply have to intake less than you burn on a daily basis while still getting enough protein to keep the muscle you're building.