Taking a break

Options
I know I am not to stop logging my food. I was doing a really good job of it.............but I find that I am not doing enough to lose weight so this past week I took a much needed break. I am not exercising. I am not walking yet because SPRING IS NOT HERE...yet in PA. I just feel this weight loss is not going to happen for me....until I stop working a full time time. Getting dinner in the evening and resting from a busy day at work..
Lunch is my downfall for sure.
Just needed a break. I hope to ease back into this this week. I just feel like a snack from time to time.
Disappointing for sure. :cry:

Replies

• Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was having some of the same issues but found that if I took the time on Sunday (or whatever day you have off) to plan out my entire weeks food log-I can then print the days-use the list to shop and each day I know exactly what I am going to eat-how I will make it, ect. You can forward the days in your food log to help you plan. This works SO much better for me.

As for the time issue..let me tell you what help me about 6 weeks ago to get REALLY serious. On the Biggest Loser (NO I don't want to start a war on the quality ect of the show-that's an over-discussed topic-find another thread!) BUT..on the Biggest Loser one of the contestants was telling the doc that they were too tired, had kids, work 60 hours, ect ect ect as to why they couldn't "Make" time to lose weight/get in shape. The doc said, "If I told you you have cancer and the ONLY way you can live is if you get in 2 hours of chemo a day, would you figure out how to do that to save your life?" Of course the contestant said yes. Doc goes, "Ok. Well being obese and unfit is killing you perhaps faster than any cancer will. You have or will have high blood pressure, diabetes, bad joints..you are killing yourself fast with bad food choices and no exercise."

That REALLY hit home for me. WE make time for our jobs, our kids, our spouse and put our health and well being last. Well guess what? All those important people are going to have to learn to live without you cause your killing yourself by NOT taking care of yourself. Make yourself AS important as anything else you give time to.

So..breaks over..this isn't a diet-it's your new lifestyle. Get back to tracking, planning, measuring, start getting some movement and IT WILL come off for you. Be IMPORTANT to YOU!!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    There are so many people that have incredably busy and stressful lives and they still find a way to make it work. If you really want to change something bad enough you will find a way, otherwise its just excuses. Anything that you do is better than doing nothing. I work a Fulltime and a part time job and take care of my home. I also spend a good 8-10 hours a week on fitness and another 2-3 logging and planning. So , you need to plan your meals out in advance and rest when its bed time lol.

A snack that you enjoy every couple of days or even every day if its not too high in sugar etc wont hurt you. But, making all the excuses will defanatly hurt you. It is disappointing because you arent putting into it what you want out of it.

Good luck to you and i hope you realize what you need to do for your health and make it a priority!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    We all feel disappointed in ourselves at times. And we all need a break sometimes. So feel it and take it, but know that once you're done with it, you can make the weight loss happen. I'm with you in this. Make sure you're not being too calorie restrictive and expecting too much of yourself. There's nothing wrong with snacks:) My calorie goal is 1600 and I go over a lot. But I never quit logging because even though I'm not there yet, the good eating/calorie days are beginning to outweigh the bad. I'm not losing even 1 pound a week, but the number on the scale is going down...slow but steady wins the race. It's good to hear you're going to continue to log. I hope you can come back from your break feeling more motivated than ever to get healthy. We can do this together!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of the responders. I am struggling to lose weight as many are. I have been doing this since January and have only lost 6 lbs. I am not going to give up. I workout like crazy (what I consider crazy) and I am sure it is because I don't eat enough. I have two kids, work full time at a very stressful job, have a home and husband. It's not easy for sure but, I believe that I want this bad enough to devote 6 days a week to working out, every night I am here logging on at one point or another to track my food. Today I have planned out ahead some of meals for week. I have logged some of tomorrow but, not completely yet. Usually, I log the previous day the night before and I always put my workouts in after and try to eat some of my calories back, if not all. I know I don't eat 100% healthy foods 100% of the time but, I am in this for the long haul so no matter how long it takes and even through maintenance, I will be here. Looking to lose 60 lbs. I have previously lost 72 lbs. with Weight Watchers. Their calorie count is way lower than what I am eating...however, I didn't keep it off when I was eating that low, either...we shall see. Keep your chin up and don't give up. Everyone has their days, hell sometimes weeks. Just keep logging.
  • pattycakes10117
    pattycakes10117 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am listening! I will try harder. Not really sure how to plan the week. I must be missing that on MFP. I do have some dinneres made for this week.
    Motivation is difficult.........but I certainly hear what you are saying. Sort of feel like my get up and go has got up and went.........but I will make a complete effort this week. I AM NOT THAT BUSY....THAT I CAN'T TRY HARDER. I WILL ALSO FIND THE TIME FOR ME!!.

THANKS FOR THE PEP TALK AND BOOST.

I NEED IT.

HAVE A GOOD WEEK.
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know you already got a lot of responses, but I wanted to share an analogy from Jillian Michaels' new book - it was in the chapter on Staying Motivated. Here goes - If we get a flat tire while driving, we don't pull over, get out of the car, and flatten the other 3. We fix it and move on.
    Sounds like you hit a low point - - - or had a flat tire.
    I agree with an earlier post - You have to make time for yourself and make it a priority. Easier said than done, I know.
    Also from Jillian Michaels - set small goals. Sometimes the big goal to get to a certain weight seems overwhelming. Try setting one small goal for each week. I have been doing this since January and it's amazing what a difference it has made when you add them all up. And I mean really small goals - one week my goal was to give up sugar in my coffee. My very first goal was to log onto MFP every day - - - as you are finding out, it can be very inspirational.
    Good luck.
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am listening! I will try harder. Not really sure how to plan the week. I must be missing that on MFP. I do have some dinneres made for this week.
    Motivation is difficult.........but I certainly hear what you are saying. Sort of feel like my get up and go has got up and went.........but I will make a complete effort this week. I AM NOT THAT BUSY....THAT I CAN'T TRY HARDER. I WILL ALSO FIND THE TIME FOR ME!!.

THANKS FOR THE PEP TALK AND BOOST.

I NEED IT.

HAVE A GOOD WEEK.

To plan your meals/days ahead..when you go to your food log-at the top it says "Monday and the date" (or whatever day it is)..use the arrows to scroll the days forward or backward. I scroll forward to preplan and print off the days so I can see them. If I have a blueprint to follow with snacks ect planned I do much better.

You can do this..have a great day!
  • pattycakes10117
    Options
    So today after evening news.......even though I have a cold........I put my coat on and walked around my yard. I sit way too much at work so I think when it is Spring, I may just walk the parking lot or go out and walk for a tiny break.
    I think I dislike going down stairs to ride my recumbant bike. It is a beautiful piece of equipment.........top of the line..........put just hate going down and suffering thru. Outside is better....Bring on Spring.
    Thanks for your support.:heart::wink:
  • crops2dawn
    crops2dawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is spring....and its gonna be a beautiful day.....Enjoy it!!
  • pattycakes10117
    Options
    Hi. You have lost 26 lbs since Jan? How are you doing this? What do you eat for lunches. That is my downfall?
    Great going!
  • pattycakes10117
    Options
    This evening I realized something important that is very much in the line of motivation.
    I saw a friend write about being in a 5K soon. He doesn't like to exercise. He is just starting to walk/run and he is trying to do what he can to improve his health. He has three daughters and a great wife.
    My response back to him was "Great, I am so glad you are doing this.......I just can not even get started to walk". Then a third and most important response came. It was from a person I know from my church that is wheel chair bound. He was very possitive for the man wanting to walk/run the 5K.
    I, through all this conversation realized that I need to be thankful that I CAN WALK/RUN. Because I can. SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT SO FORTUNATE AS I and many many who can walk/run...exercise.
    Appreciate what we have and use it is pretty much what I have decided to do.
    God blesses us with many things in life.......guess these legs moving. The legs that get me places I want to go everyday.
    :flowerforyou:
  • crops2dawn
    crops2dawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry...just seeing this.... Yes, I have! I am so determined this time! For lunch I usually have a turkey sandwich...maybe a salad... and sometimes just toast....all depends how hungry I am....I like to go light during the day, cause my dinners are a bit more calories.

Good Luck with your journey! I know you can do this!!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this mentality. The body needs to be worked, how can you not exercise? Are you going to eat fried foods and cakes and think it's going to give you a boost? Come on.

Read good fitness magazines, find like-minded friends, and get a support system. Fitness is for life, not to lose 5 lbs for a party.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I also live in Northern PA and, yes, winter is hanging on here with a vengeance. I have a long lunch hour so I walk first on my break and then have my lunch. Either way you can make time for a break. If you get 2 15 minutes breaks during the day, go for a walk around the block or several turns around the parking lot. You will feel so much better after you have done it. I have been walking outside on my lunch break since Jan, 2. Yes, it has been cold but I bundle up and walk faster. I have to say that I now look forward to it most days.
    You can find a way if you are motivated. Just imagine you are walking for the man in the wheelchair that can not!
    I tend to eat Lean Cuisine meals for lunch. I know they are processed foods and have sodium but they fit into my busy day. A salad is good and low in calories too (if you don't put cheese in it) and can save you calories for dinner if you are having a big meal then.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Also if you have a private work area, you could walk with Leslie Sansone videos on youtube on your lunchbreak. There is a 1 mile video as well as a 2 mile video that can fit into a lunch break. I have done that when it was below zero. I even did level 1 of the 30 day shred on my lunch break for a while.
    You can find a way if you want it bad enough. If you start now your body will be in better shape before warm weather!
    Good luck on your journey.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    I was having some of the same issues but found that if I took the time on Sunday (or whatever day you have off) to plan out my entire weeks food log-I can then print the days-use the list to shop and each day I know exactly what I am going to eat-how I will make it, ect. You can forward the days in your food log to help you plan. This works SO much better for me.

As for the time issue..let me tell you what help me about 6 weeks ago to get REALLY serious. On the Biggest Loser (NO I don't want to start a war on the quality ect of the show-that's an over-discussed topic-find another thread!) BUT..on the Biggest Loser one of the contestants was telling the doc that they were too tired, had kids, work 60 hours, ect ect ect as to why they couldn't "Make" time to lose weight/get in shape. The doc said, "If I told you you have cancer and the ONLY way you can live is if you get in 2 hours of chemo a day, would you figure out how to do that to save your life?" Of course the contestant said yes. Doc goes, "Ok. Well being obese and unfit is killing you perhaps faster than any cancer will. You have or will have high blood pressure, diabetes, bad joints..you are killing yourself fast with bad food choices and no exercise."

That REALLY hit home for me. WE make time for our jobs, our kids, our spouse and put our health and well being last. Well guess what? All those important people are going to have to learn to live without you cause your killing yourself by NOT taking care of yourself. Make yourself AS important as anything else you give time to.

So..breaks over..this isn't a diet-it's your new lifestyle. Get back to tracking, planning, measuring, start getting some movement and IT WILL come off for you. Be IMPORTANT to YOU!!

So far, this post has been the most insightful of them all. It's true that we make time for everything that's "important" but won't make time for the 2nd most important relationship that any of us can have .... the relationship with ourselves! (God being #1 in my book.) Yesterday, I ran 5 miles and was pretty pleased with myself. Today, I ate like someone was trying to take the food away from me. Pride before a fall, ya know! Anyhow, my point is to be selfish. Say no to that important *kitten* b/c work is never more important than you. Your family -and I would die for mines- is never more important than you. You can't care for your family if you're in bad health, shape, whatever you wanna call it. Tomorrow, I'm gonna get up at 4 a.m., hit the gym by 4:30 and be back home by 6 to get ready for 8 a.m. because my health is important to me. Some are gonna argue that by getting up at 4, I'm not getting enough rest (I RARELY go to bed before 11 p.m.), but until I see a negative effect, I'm gonna continue to "sacrifice" 2 or 3 hours a night so that I can work my body and feel that I'm making a positive impact on my health. I'm gonna continue to be the 2nd most important thing in my life, ahead of family, work and that other earthly crap because I ain't ever gonna see myself at 358 lbs again, thereby running the risk of NOT being here to enjoy family, work and the other earthly crap. :)
  • pattycakes10117
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Awesome encouragement! I just need to get up and get moving. The eating is not bad........just the not moving is what is my downfall. I so appreciate the responses. My girlfriend and I started MFP together. She has lost 15 lbs..........because SHE MADE UP HER MIND to do it!!!!!!!!!!
    I apparently have not. I need to pray about this more. I need to "JUST DO IT"!.

Thanks
    I needed all of these and will read them over and over till I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart:
  • pattycakes10117
    Options
    Walking.........walking.

Know what makes a person walk far from a Wal-Mart entrance.
    Buy a new car......and keep way out in the lot so no one parks next to you........that is walking far.
    I walk fast in and out to the car. I walk fast in the store.
    On these chilly days in PA....it is a brisk walk outside.

I am trying. Bought a new Leslie Sandone Walk Slim DVD too.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this mentality. The body needs to be worked, how can you not exercise? Are you going to eat fried foods and cakes and think it's going to give you a boost? Come on.

Read good fitness magazines, find like-minded friends, and get a support system. Fitness is for life, not to lose 5 lbs for a party.

Dude. This is neither motivating or supportive.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hi :)
    just wanted to let you know, i've been at this for about 2 and half months and i'm really busy. i work from 9-5 then have school from 6:30-9:30 at night but i find ways to make it work.
    i walked to stores instead of driving. and trust me, it is NOT spring here yet either. plus i don't deprive myself. if i want a burger, i'll have it :)
    i hope you continue on and if you want, feel free to add me!