My sugar is almost always over!!

Options
emalay
emalay Posts: 159 Member
Just curious if anyone else out there is always going over their daily recommended intake of sugar. For example I've just finished my breakfast and I've had an Astro Zero 0% yogurt, coffee with cream, and 20 green grapes, which added up to 21 grams of sugar. I now only have 3 grams of sugar left. YIKES!!!
I know that grapes contain naturally occuring sugar which isn't necessarily bad but yet how the heck am I supposed to eat the rest of the day if I have only 3 grams of sugar left?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I usually double my sugar just from fruit! 27g of sugar doesn't sound like that much when an apple supposedly has 16g.
  • Jendaya35
    Jendaya35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I do not have any words of wisdom, but am eagerly waiting to see what everyone has to say on the subject..
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I ignore it? When my sugar goes over because of fruit I usually just rationalize that it's good sugar so it's okay haha
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I've stopped tracking sugar on here because I'm always over! however it is all from natural sources such as fruit and milk (never knew milk had so much sugar in it). When I have something with more sugar in it like icecream, cake or cookies I look at the fat/carb/calories.
    I wouldn't worry if your sugar comes from fruit, but interetested to see if others disagree with this.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    Is it bad that I ignore it? When my sugar goes over because of fruit I usually just rationalize that it's good sugar so it's okay haha

ditto
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over when I eat a lot of fruit. I haven't worried about it so much since it's not stalling my weight loss (at least at this time). If and when it does, I'll probably focus on eating more veges than fruits. The one thing I can say that I actually don't eat all that often is yogurt. I find it very high in sugar. Maybe try oatmeal with berries one morning instead? Also, trying to get rid of the coffee with cream. Maybe gradually move to fat free milk. Do you use a sweetener? Try to use Splenda if you do.
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The frustrating thing is that there is less sugar in my yogurt (3g) compared to my 20 grapes (16g)!! I've weened myself off all sugar in my coffee and tea...have been sugar free that way for years. It's funny because now if someone buys me a coffee or tea with sugar I can hardly get it down!!
    I think I will definitely introduce oatmeal into my breakfast...I love steel cut oatmeal!
    I guess I just won't worry too much about the naturally occuring sugar in fruits too much!!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Unless you see it affecting your ability to lose weight, I wouldn't worry too much. Just try to stay in the recommended servings of fruits and veges instead of only eating fruit.
  • chronosfire
    Options
    Same here! I always just kind of sluff it off, thinking it's ok-ish.
  • lock0134
    lock0134 Posts: 19
    Options
    Okay natural sugar is different than processed sugar. Your body breaks it down differently and for diabetics it's best to look at which fruits(and veggies) have less sugar.

If you need to add sugar to anything natural you shouldn't eat it anymore. I know some add to tomato's or grapefruit, strawberries...naughty! Those of us that do not have diabetes should try to limit the high sugar processed foods(fruit juices, veggie jucie, cereal, so on) but fruit is okay for people with diabetes in moderation. If you do have fruit/veggies it should be spaced out throughout your day to get your recommended servings. So your body has time to process it.

If you are trying to control your sugar because of diabetes
    Best fruits: apple, Grapefruit, Lime, Peaches
    worst:watermelon, mangoes, banana, grapes, Strawberry

For veggies the more starchy they are the worse they are for you...although better than most processed foods for a diabetic this should be in moderation...beans, potato's, carrots, beets, peas
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's way too low and manually switched mine to 75g. that way i can have a piece of fruit (or 2) and dairy (milk, yogurt) and not have it go over. either that or you could keep it the same and mentally subtract out your fructose and lactose from whatever your number is.

obviously, if you're a diabetic, the sugar is a more important number and you need to be following your doctor's recommendation, but for me, 75g works and i've been losing on it. Most of the times, i'm under the 75, even including the dairy and fruit.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    The only sugar restrictions I've ever seen in dietary guidelines have been for added sugar. However, regulations don't require nutrition labels to distinguish between the two. I just read the ingredients to get an idea of how much added sugar is in an item. I don't really pay attention to the sugar in unprocessed foods though I do try to pair fruit with something with protein in it like cottage cheese.