Half Marathon

Options
Hi all,

I currently run an organised 5k every week. However, there is a half marathon in my local town in October. I can't start properly training as I don't want to risk injury due to my upcoming wedding in New York at the end of June.

My question is, what is the chance of getting up to 21.1km within 3 months?
And where are the best places to get a training plan?

IS there anyone out there who has done it who isn't experienced like me but achieved it?

Thanks guys x

Replies

• missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Look up the Hal Higdon half marathon training plan (Novice 1) - it is 12 weeks, and the first long run is 4 miles. So it is doable. The main thing is to do your normal runs and make one of them longer and longer each week, until you get to at least 10 miles. I ran 12 miles before my first half, but a lot of plans just call for 10. Just remember to really slow down on those long runs - speed is not going to help you - just work on building your endurance.
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has great 12 week training plans for half marathon. If you are currently running 5ks you will be in perfect shape to start the program and finish a half marathon in 12 weeks time. Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would say it's pretty doable. Once I was able to hit 6 miles, it was relatively easy to add mileage. Of course, I haven't actually run my half yet, and my training has really suffered the last 2 months because of weather. I've got 4 weeks left and need to get back up to around 11 miles to feel somewhat confident for my half.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I concur with the Hal Higdon recommendations, and will be following an 18 week Marathon plan in May. Until then I'm just running (very) slowly and building up my base miles - base building would work for you as it's all easy miles so shouldn't injure you before your wedding (and congratulations btw).
  • chiuaxmum
    Options
    I have run half couple of times, planning to London Marathon next year if i can get entry. You can train for half in 3 months.The trick is to increase mileage slowly every week,wear right gear for every weather so that you can keep to the scheduled runs.Avoid injury by listening to your body.Endurance and race recovery both need practice.
  • secretamore
    Options
    I recently started training for a half marathon which I'll run in June. If you have the RunKeeper app they have some great beginner half-marathon training plans.
  • MST13
    MST13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The Hal Higdon half marathon training program is great! I agree with the other posters, build up your long runs slowly. I got married right in the middle of my training and did a 7.5 mile run the morning of my wedding! Have fun and congrats on the wedding!!!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This is NOT how to do it, but it demonstrates that it is indeed doable:

I started running last January and spent 4 months just doing 5kms 3 times a week as fast as I could (it wasn't very fast at all).
    One day I decided to see if I could run 10kms and so I slowed down a bit and managed it.
    Two weeks later I thought I would try 10miles (16kms). I did it, but it was not pretty and I felt quite ill.
    I decided to enter a half marathon that was scheduled for 6 weeks after that and I completed it in 2hrs 7m

Following that I started to learn about training and I really wish I had done that research before. Yesterday I completed my third race in 1:49 and it had 141 metres of elevation (compared to just 32 in race one), rain and snow and freezing temps.

So YES it's totally doable, but you'll have a much better time and reduce injury risk if you do it properly.

On that topic, there's no reason for you to wait until after your wedding to get started. You aren't going to be doing crazy stuff like doubling your distance in a single workout or trail running on scree so it's unlikely you're going to break your leg or anything :-)

I'd say start now with the research and easing up the mileage in your long runs and swapping a few of your 5k runs for intervals. That way after your wedding you'll already be knocking on the door of race distance and just working on your pace.
  • missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I think I'm going to aim to build up to 10km before the wedding, then increase from 10 - 20 after the wedding.

Knew you'd all make me feel better, thank you!!