6lbs of water retention? Really?

I know it happens sometimes, especially around that time of the month but 6lbs of water weight seems crazy. On Friday morning I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 145.4. This morning I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 151.2. What the hell...

Admittedly, I indulged in St.Patty's celebrating (couple glasses of wine, couple desserts) but was under my calorie counts. I also did a 5 mile run and a strength training workout.

Sigh.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I know it happens sometimes, especially around that time of the month but 6lbs of water weight seems crazy. On Friday morning I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 145.4. This morning I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 151.2. What the hell...

Admittedly, I indulged in St.Patty's celebrating (couple glasses of wine, couple desserts) but was under my calorie counts. I also did a 5 mile run and a strength training workout.

Sigh.

Yes, and I would stop weighing so often if it's going to eat at you
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    ::patting hand::::ohwell:

I feel your pain. Dreading and anticipating TOM even now.
    You couldn't pay me to get on my scale :noway:
  • fishinfoo
    fishinfoo Posts: 13 Member
    I hear you. I didnt exactly go off my diet this weekend, but had a couple good meals (a steak one day and a baon cheeseburger the other day). I also ran 5 miles on Saturday and lifted weights yesterday. I got on the scale this morning and was up 5lbs. I know I didnt go that crazy this weekend. I know I'm not holding 5lbs worth of water weight.....I could scream!!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member

Sigh.

Yes, it is possible. Boxing Day last year, I found I'd put on 6lb overnight. Don't stress about it, stick to what you are doing and it will come off as quickly as it went on.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Aw man. Well, at least now I know it's really possible. The number itself doesn't bother me that much - my clothes feel the same and I know it's just my muscle tissue retaining water, getting stronger, doing it's thing.

I know it happens, and I only started weighing myself regulariy recently so I guess I'm just surprised it's so much.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I hear you. I didnt exactly go off my diet this weekend, but had a couple good meals (a steak one day and a baon cheeseburger the other day). I also ran 5 miles on Saturday and lifted weights yesterday. I got on the scale this morning and was up 5lbs. I know I didnt go that crazy this weekend. I know I'm not holding 5lbs worth of water weight.....I could scream!!!

All the sodium in the bacon, cheese, burger? Not to mention whatever the steak might've been seasoned with or your sides with it...you probably ARE holding 5lb of water weight. I wouldn't doubt it in the slightest.
  • donnacervelli11
    ::patting hand::::ohwell:

I feel your pain. Dreading and anticipating TOM even now.
    You couldn't pay me to get on my scale :noway:

Sometimes, I want to punch TOM in the face.
  • I put on 4-6 lbs of water every time. Don't weigh yourself if you feel bloated that week.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    I've retained up to 10 lbs, then it takes me a whole week to get rid of it. It's horrible. Trust me, I feel your pain.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    I'm up 6 pounds myself. I know I did not go 21,000 calories over since Wednesday when I last weighed myself. Scales are definitely evil. I'm on my 4th bottle of water today so far.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    how do your clothes fit..that's really when I know how I'm doing
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    water retention is crazy. I changed my eating these last two weeks and cut as much sodium as I could, no canned things items and lost 6lbs, (assuming much if that was water due to sodium) now how to maintain that and still make homemade soup.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Heck yeah. I used to easily have 5 pounds of water weight around that time of the month. In fact, I have lymphedema and could easily have, no lie, 15 pounds or more of water retention in my lower legs. When I was on Weight Watchers, water retention really played with my numbers. One week I dropped 19 pounds. The leader asked me what the heck I had done to lose so much.

Thank goodness for physical therapy as the lymphedema is under control so long as I wear my velcro compression leggings ($120 each, not per pair) at night and my super duper compression stockings during the day. It's worth it - I have ankles again. And I got to wear shorts without the compression stockings while on vacation in Puerto Rico. Totally awesome to not be embarrassed by my legs.

<I apologize for getting a little off-topic. Still water retention but a veered off a bit.>
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I've retained up to 10 lbs, then it takes me a whole week to get rid of it. It's horrible. Trust me, I feel your pain.

gosh, me too :sick: I'm lucky to get 10-14 good days out of the month. The week before, the week during and up to a full week after I'm dealing with symptoms. The first of which is water retention, blech.
  • donnacervelli11
    Heck yeah. I used to easily have 5 pounds of water weight around that time of the month. In fact, I have lymphedema and could easily have, no lie, 15 pounds or more of water retention in my lower legs. When I was on Weight Watchers, water retention really played with my numbers. One week I dropped 19 pounds. The leader asked me what the heck I had done to lose so much.

Thank goodness for physical therapy as the lymphedema is under control so long as I wear my velcro compression leggings ($120 each, not per pair) at night and my super duper compression stockings during the day. It's worth it - I have ankles again. And I got to wear shorts without the compression stockings while on vacation in Puerto Rico. Totally awesome to not be embarrassed by my legs.

<I apologize for getting a little off-topic. Still water retention but a veered off a bit.>

Aw man, that sounds rough. 19lbs? That's crazy. On the other hand, congrats on the 111lbs of non-water weight you've lost. Amazing!
  • donnacervelli11
    Other than drinking lots of water does anyone have any tips on getting rid of water weight?
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    i can easily gain anywhere from 3-8 pounds overnight from drinking and/or eating things i don't usually eat a lot of (sugar, simple carbs, etc). it goes away within a few days. it's difficult to deal with emotionally, but living without ever indulging is even more difficult. don't beat yourself up, you'll be back on track in no time once you get back to your regular eating/exercising, i always do... :)
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    i drink a lot of ginger tea, i either have it hot or i'll make a large batch and put in a bunch of fresh mint and the juice of a lemon, and keep it in the fridge, it's supposed to be good for digestion and flushing out your system, i saw it on dr. oz and i really like it!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Happens to me quite a bit. As much as 8 lbs. I can be down 10 lbs in one week because of water weight and up again the next. My solution is now to only weigh once every two weeks or so and only weigh when I am feeling "light" - when I know I am not retaining water, etc.

It will go away. I am sure you didn't eat 21,000 calories since Friday. :)
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Dandelion tea is epic for water retention ladies!!!! I used to retain anywhere between 6-8lb per month due to my monthly visitor, but since I've been drinking this tea twice a day I retain none to very little water weight :smile: