What counts as "water?"

Options

Replies

• Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That counts as CLEVER is what it counts as. Heck Im told even eatting "wet" foods like soup, yougurt even cucumber counts toward your fluid intake if you find it really challanging. I can't have artificle stuff due to allergies, and honestly I often find I lose more weight quicker if I can avoid it...but that could be a personal side affect. At the end of the day you are like 80% water! If this helps you stay hydrated then power to you :)
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I always use a flavor package of some kind, as I have one of those bizzarre water issues... if I drink plain water it gives me heartburn, especially if it is cold (I also break out in a rash after my shower every day)! I have to drink it room temperature with either a flavor package, slice of lemon/lime, or even a package of splenda/sweet-n-low. I have lost 52 pounds and this has worked for me so far.

Most dieticians will tell you to be careful about counting any kind of low or no calorie drink as your water if it has caffiene in it (coffee, sodas, etc), caffiene can actually dehydrate you if you drink it in large amounts.. I have been doing weight watchers, and they tell you any low calories/no calorie clear liquid can be counted towards your water, just make sure to count the calories that may be in the flavor (crystal light has 5-15 calories per pouch).
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I count water and decaffeinated iced tea (I do not sweeten my tea) as water.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I agree with everyone else--unsweetened tea, plain coffee, and water all count as water! Just make sure you also log the additives like crystal light, sweeteners, cream in your coffee. Fluid is fluid--its when you get to things like the sugars and preservatives in juice and soda that the benefits of the water included start to be outweighed by the calories and uneccessary additions.

And if you have to get up an extra 3-4 times during the day to pee--its extra exercise :D
  • bitsyland
    bitsyland Posts: 49
    Options
    I can't stand plain water....but all I need is just the slightest hint of flavor to be able to drink it...so I slice up a fresh lemon, put it in a pitcher and fill it with water....let it steep in the fridge over night and you have great lemony water for the day. I also use an insulated cup with a straw...fill it with ice and suck it down.....it works for me. It's much better if it's icy cold. I also use sugar free flavoring...but again just enough to get a hint of flavor....not so much as to make it a lemonade or berry flavored drink. Even that gets too sweet. I have gotten much better at getting enough water in me this way.
  • Cytrix
    Cytrix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I count my daily water as normal water and green tea (both hot and cold).
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Any fluid counts for hydration. The 8 glasses of water claim is a myth. The actual medical recommendation was about 2.5 liters of fluid, and the text specifically mentioned coffee, tea, soda, juice, milk, and water all as viable sources.

It was the bottled water industry that changed the word "fluid" to "water" in a marketing scheme to increase sales.

^^^This. Oprah did a big disservice to her audience by reinforcing this belief as well. I clearly remember her showing bottles of water and associating it with health. She holds sway over a lot of the populace and it disseminated out to the rest of the country that it was about bottles of water and not ounces of fluid. (She also brought on the pox of Drs Oz and Phil, for which she shouldn't be forgotten or forgiven).
  • djudib
    djudib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am optimistic as well that the warmer weather will help the weight loss journey! :-)
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As a side note to those that love their crystal light - Lipton makes similar packets now (you get the flavanoids). Right now I'm drinking Iced Green Tea with Blackberry Pomegranate. In my grocery store, they are with the tea bags, not the drink mixes. I too need to have something in my water, but with the packets I drink over 100oz a day.
  • djudib
    djudib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ha, I never thought of that!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think you could probably count it, but I log the crystal light packet as well. I always make sure to keep water next to me, and that gives me more of an incentive to drink it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Obviously soda/beer are not something you would give a person if they were dehydrated. Water, tea, crystal light seem to be ok.
    Why not? Both are 90%+ water, and both hydrate perfectly fine. Due to poor sanitation conditions, people in the 1700's did not drink water, as it was too contaminated. They drank ale almost exclusively. They didn't all die of dehydration.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers counts pretty much any 0-calorie fluid as water. Or it did when I was a member more than a year ago.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time trying to get my 8 - 8 ounce glasses of water down each day. Not successful most days. When I get close it's usually because I mix some of the crystal light flavors in a bottle of water, but then I feel like this is cheat. Does that still count as water? HELP!

With the exception of coffee and cocoa if I make it in a cup with water and drink it, I count it as "water". Flavor packets, tea, herbal tea and water with a splash of juice or squeeze of citrus is all "water" to me. I just make sure to log whatever I added. All of this is really helpful when you're like me and stuck with well water that's not the greatest.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Wait, does adding the flavored powder turn it into non-water? Heavens, what the minerals it picks up on the way to your glass must do to it! Now you have to distill every drop of water before you drink it, just to make sure it counts. And you'd better not put it into a bottle because the structure of the water molecule will automatically pick up trace amounts of the glass, plastic, or whatever else you put it in. Heck, you'd better filter the air you distill it from too, otherwise Lord knows what could end up in it.

Sorry, on a more serious note, water, tea, coffee (you might only count 6 out of 8 ounces because the caffeine will dehydrate you for an ounce or two), soda (true, they're full of sugar or artifical sweeteners and everyone knows they're bad for you but your body still counts the water content as water), milk (only count 5 out of 8 ounces because the other contents take up the other 3), ...you get the point. If your body processes it as water, go ahead and count it as water.

Things NOT to count as water: Alcohol (not only should this not count as water, but you should prehydrate to counteract the dehydration it causes), energy drinks (the caffiene content is high enough that it will dehydrate you more than it hydrates you), crisco.
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Things NOT to count as water: Alcohol (not only should this not count as water, but you should prehydrate to counteract the dehydration it causes), energy drinks (the caffiene content is high enough that it will dehydrate you more than it hydrates you), crisco.

this^
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Question... so why is it... the more water I drink, the more thirsty I am? I drink a lot of plain water in a day... more than 15 cups.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not this one again!

<goes to put the kettle on ...>
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    LOL, evidently a frequent question? I say to each his own - if you drink water with Crystal light in it and you feel well hydrated then so be it. For me I count my "plain water" as my water intake for the day. I drink several cups of coffee in the cold weather but I don't consider them as part of my intake, and I don't count any other drinks or fruits (watermelon, etc) as part either. This is just something I do for myself to try to up my water. And I try not to drink more than 8 oz at a time because the more I drink the quicker I go to the bathroom and then I've just flushed away what I drank. That is why I have a bottle of water fon my desk, in my car, on my nightstand etc. If it's there I'll drink it - just like some people will drink a soda, coffee, tea or beer - if it's in reach. That's why I don't have it in reach. The way I look at it - "why eat clean if I'm not going to drink clean?"
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use Crystal Light sometimes, it still counts as water. Also, I do a mind trick. Instead of telling myself I need to drink 8 glasses of water. I tell myself I need to drink 4 bottles of water, because each bottle is technically 2 glasses. I carry the same bottle that I refill from the refrigerator filter all day, and just count the bottles as I finish them. It makes it easy for me to get 6-8 per day and I don't feel pressured to have to drink more.

ETA: I forgot to mention that if I occasionally have a soda or something else, I do not count it as water. But I rarely have those now.