How bad is excess sugar for me long term?

Options
I've noticed lately that I'm almost always over on my sugar intake. Granted most of the sugar comes from fruit, i'm still consistently over by a good amount.

My mom is diabetic and my dad is borderline. I already feel pretty limited with calorie intake and having to take special efforts for protein (I'm also vegetarian) and don't want to feel so constricted that i give up but also don't want to end up diabetic myself.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    even diabetics are allowed small amounts of fruit
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    right but I'm wondering how serious it is that I'm going over on my sugar. I've become a little bit of a fruit (and fruit juice and smoothie) junkie recently.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Depends on your caloric intake also. But if you have been tested for diabetics, I would reconsider my food options. But if you don't have diabetes, and your just eating too much sugar, I'd look at my daily percentage and do the math.
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned and have a family history, your best bet is to talk to your Dr about it. Good luck!
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Don't wonder -- if you have a strong family history of diabetes (which it sounds like you do), then get your doctor to test your fasting blood sugar, and your A1C. If those come back normal, you're fine for now, but it's best to keep an eye on it, perhaps at your annual physical.

Even if you do turn out to have diabetes, the goal is to eat healthy, and that *does* include fruit.

Fruit juice and smoothies -- probably not so much. Think about it this way -- how many oranges would you have to eat to get the glass of orange juice you're enjoying? You'd NEVER be able to eat that many. And you shouldn't have that much sugar either. It sounds like you have a pre-disposition to diabetes, and fruit juices are as bad as soft drinks in that regard. I'd strongly advise you to cut back -- you could easily develop insulin resistance.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    get off the sugar
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Define: excess with some context.

Otherwise, we don't know.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it depends a lot on the rest of your diet. If it's mostly from fruit, and you are getting plenty of fiber and meeting your macronutrient goals, then you are likely fine. Since you have a family history of diabetes you may want to discuss it with your doctor, though.

The biggest problem with sugar seems to be the sudden rise and fall of blood glucose (sugar rush). If you feel that "sugar rush" when eating fruit, then you might want to cut back, or always eat something with extra fiber or protein at the same time to slow down digestion and reduce the glucose spike.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    Fruit juice and smoothies -- probably not so much. Think about it this way -- how many oranges would you have to eat to get the glass of orange juice you're enjoying? You'd NEVER be able to eat that many. And you shouldn't have that much sugar either. It sounds like you have a pre-disposition to diabetes, and fruit juices are as bad as soft drinks in that regard. I'd strongly advise you to cut back -- you could easily develop insulin resistance.

Argh! you're definitely right. Guess I'll go back to fresh juices with more veggies than fruits. Not what I want to hear but you have a strong point. thanks guys!
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    Always eat something with extra fiber or protein at the same time to slow down digestion and reduce the glucose spike.

Hmm hadn't thought of this but that's a great idea. thanks.
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not a health expert by any means, but I did a little research when my mom was diagnosed last year, and it seems that just "too much sugar" is not necessarily the cause of type 2 diabetes. It seems to have far more to do with your overall health and diet, so I wouldn't be too concerned with fruits if you're eating an otherwise healthy diet and--very important here--exercising. One of the body shape books I was reading talked quite a bit about abdominal fat being a culprit... Can't remember the title of the book right now, but here's an article that seems to sum up what I'm saying and might help you out:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diabetes/type2/understanding/what-causes-type-2-diabetes.aspx
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The "limits" are arbitrary - you can customise your ratios to anything you like, or even simply switch off sugar tracking!
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options

i made my food diary public just for this reason :)
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would also think that processed sugars would be bad for you, natural sugars that are found in fruit shouldn't be too bad. As long as you stay active and exercise, it'll help to prevent it. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/#causes

I would definitely talk to a doctor about it though.

I love you :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are fine - if you track your carbs you'll make sure you don't eat too much.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say that sugar is not really a problem for an active individual who is not obese, because assuming that they are tracking their macros and attempting to eat nutrient-dense whole foods, it doesn't take long for them to cut sugar to approximately what the mainstream health authorities consider safe levels anyway, because foods high in sugar simply aren't filling. This is beside the debate of whether or not sugar is directly harmful to your health, and if so for whom and why.

However in your case, when you've explicitly stated that you have a family history of diabetes, I strongly recommend you consult a doctor about this since you follow an unusual diet. Not because you're a vegetarian, but because you seem to consume so much fruit and fruit juices.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

i made my food diary public just for this reason :)

Not trying to be pedantic here, but unless you're testing your blood and you're having trouble with blood sugar, It's a non issue. That is true especially if you're very active and exercise.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Always eat something with extra fiber or protein at the same time to slow down digestion and reduce the glucose spike.

Hmm hadn't thought of this but that's a great idea. thanks.

Easy way to get lots of fibre with your fruit juice? Eat the whole fruit! It'll have LOTS of fibre. That's why a whole fruit is fine, but the juice -- not so much. :wink:
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Diabetes and insulin resistance aren't about "sugar", it's about carbs period. I have a limit as to how many I can eat in a day, no matter the source. Of course, the lower glycemic ones will set of less of a response than the higher ones, think apples vs apple juice.

Your best defense is knowing your baseline. Get a fasting blood test. You may have lucked out and be fine. Getting to, and maintaining a healthy weight is also key (hence why most of us are here). That being said, given your genetic history, it will never hurt you to keep things like glycemic index and carb limits in mind.