Sorry for the stupid question but...

Options
After I add an exercise, my calorie goal raises. Which calorie goal do I use? Do I stay within my "Net" calorie goal or the amount that says "Remaining" Thanks I know this is probably something I shoud know but want to make sure I am doing this right.

Replies

• kwol18
    kwol18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MFP calorie goals allow for you to eat back some or all of the calories you burned off while working out, as long as your net calorie intake for the day is below your goal. So a daily goal of 1500 calories + 500 calories burned with exercise allows you to eat 2000 calories a day and still hit your net calories for the day. Hope that helps.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Both.

Net Calories = Total Consumed - Exercise Burned

Remaining = Calorie Goal - (Total Consumed - Exercise Burned)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Net = Food - Exercise. Remaining = (Goal + Exercise) - Food. Ideally you want to get Remaining reasonably close to 0, by eating Goal + Exercise.
  • jorto4
    jorto4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have asked if I stay at my "Food" calorie goal or the "Remaining" not the net. Thanks
  • hgrizzle
    hgrizzle Posts: 11
    Options
    Some people eat back exercise calories and some do not. Really it's up to you, but the reason your calorie remaining changes is because the goal is to maintain a consistent calorie deficit for controlled weight loss. For instance MFP has calculated my Calories Burned from normal daily activity as 2840 cal/ day (based on my specific measurements and a lightly active lifestyle). To loose 2 lbs per week it subtracts 1000 calories to give me a daily calorie goal of 1840. But if I go for a run and burn 260 calories beyond my normal daily activity MFP adds that to my total meaning that I burned 3100 cal (2840 from normal activity + 260 from the run). To maintain the constant 1000 calorie deficit I should eat 260 extra calories.

Normal Day
    2840 cal burned with no additional exercise
    1840 cal consumption allowed
    -1000 cal = 2 lbs/ week lost

With exercise
    2840 burned with no additional exercise
    +260 for the run
    3100 calories burned
    -1000 to maintain 2 lb/ week loss
    2100 cal consumption allowed because of exercise
  • jorto4
    jorto4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    After I add an exercise, my calorie goal raises. Which calorie goal do I use? Do I stay within my "Net" calorie goal or the amount that says "Remaining" Thanks I know this is probably something I shoud know but want to make sure I am doing this right.

Your remaining should be as close to zero as possible, providing your exercise calories are accurate.

This will help - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf