Alternative to Carbs

Options
Hi,
I've decided to cut carbs out after 5pm. I did this before and eat the majority of my carbs for lunch and it really helped me lose weight and get fit.
Does anyone have any good ideas for what to replace that part of an evening meal with? Salad and califlower boiled is getting a tad boring?
Thanks

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I quite like mashed broccoli. If you are still having colourful/root veg then make some mash from swede too i like it with some mashed carrot mixed in. If I do a stif fry I add extra bean sprouts instead of noodles or rice. I make chips out of parsnips too and roast them with olive oil spray.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    any veg. and a small serving of meat is usually what I have for supper.
  • meadowsmummy
    Options
    Speghetti Squash...i prepare mine the same way i would regular speghetti but use squash instead of noodles- it has become my new fav meal
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs after a certain time is one of the biggest myths in the diet industry.

Eat you carbs anytime of day you feel like it.

And just to be clear broccoli is a carb and so is any other vegetable.

Protein and fat are the only alternative to carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, you say you're cutting out carbs, yet you're eating salad (carbs) and cauliflower (also carbs.) :huh:
  • boarderstu
    Options
    As Cr01502 said, it's one of the biggest myths in the industry - as with "Low-Fat"!

Carbs aren't bad for you! Infact the majority of your diet should be carbs... it's getting the right carbs that matters...

Fruits and vegetables both contain carbs... its the kind of carbs that you want to cut out that is what matters!

I'd suggest reading up on Simple and Complex carbohydrates...

Quite simply, simply carbs are single strains of sugar molecules and break down very quickly and release quicky, complex carbs break down slower and thus release energy slower.

Complex carbs are generally better for you, as they normally come from natural source (wheat, rice etc..).. simple carbs are usually found in things like pop, candy, sweets etc..

(http://diabetes.about.com/od/carbohydratefaq/f/typesofcarbs.htm)

The backwards thing is, that fruit and veg actually contain simple carbs (single sugar molecules), but they also contain a lot of nutrients you're body needs! So if you want a sugar hit, you're actually better with veg!

Also, on a side-note, the body needs carbs to burn fats (I know! I didn't believe it either!), take a read of the below too - about needing carbs..

http://ezinearticles.com/?Carbs---Why-You-Need-Them-to-Burn-Fat&id=957607.

Generally a good diet, a bit of patience,some exercise and the weight will fall off! If you go to gym, try a class that will get your heart rate going, the higher the heart rate, the more you burn!

But just to re-iterate, fruit/veg still has the carbs (but you need carbs!)

Cheers and good luck!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad no matter if you have them at lunch or dinner.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I roast baking sheets full of veggies. Yum!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Olive oil shots
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Celery root is a great alternative to mashed potatoes. A little more flavorful and same consistency.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs after a certain time is one of the biggest myths in the diet industry.

Eat you carbs anytime of day you feel like it.

Protein and fat are the only alternative to carbs.

not going to cram this down your throat, even tho its true.

if you think it helps you... then in reallity it does, to some degree... even if its just to help you stay on track to your goals.

But its awfully funny that you say you want an alternative to carbs and then you list a bunch of carbs lol.

Has to be protein or fat (such as meet or protein suppliment) if its not carbs. What your listing is low carb... but basically 100% carb meals.

Thats perfectly acceptable of course... just against your stated goal.

My only 2 cents would be the following: most of the carb foods listed here are low GI carbs, but eat pretty much anything (fat, protein, fiber) along with the carbs and it will lower the GI of whatever carb your eating.
  • SamBristol24
    Options
    When i say carbs I mean high carb foods like potatoes, pasta, rice and bread.

It works for me so I think that all that really matters.....Its always about whats right for the indiviuals body right?

I know I need some carbs to actually lose weight so the idea of eating lower carb food (vegetables and salad) is good for me in the evening after doing some exercise.

Plus higher carb stuff make me feel all bloated and fat after about 5pm making me not want to do any exercise.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Maybe try something with some fibre in? Fibre is naturally good for the digestive system, and will make you feel fuller!

Is this your evening meal? Salad for an evening meal!?!

When do you do your exercise? Surely you'll need some fuel for that?

P.s if you're eating this after exercise, you'll need to replenish your carb stores to help your body repair muscle and keep your immune system up..
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    proteins and veggies--i LOVE hummus and carrotts
  • SamBristol24
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Boarderstu. I do have protien with the salad. I tend to have protien, salad and some form of vegetable for each evening meal. I do eat a larger lunch of carbs etc as eaten a larger meal in the day works better for me. Sometime jacket potatoes and tuna etc.

I exercise at 6pm before dinner. Usually having a mid afternoon snack of fruit or crackers or cerel biscuits (Belvita) for the energy.

I am aware I need carbs hence the carbs through vegetables and I do try to eat meals with some carbs in such as breaded fish. I'm more cutting those carbs out for the feeling bloated etc. This feeling surely cant be a good thing and I do feel better for not eating high carbs in the evening.
  • meadowsmummy
    Options
    I also do the no "starchy" carbs after lunch and am having great results.
  • SamBristol24
    Options
    I also do the no "starchy" carbs after lunch and am having great results.

Thats great :) What do you tend to eat for dinner?
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I think it's a little extreme to simply state all vegetables are carbs. While broccoli and other non-starchy veggies contain a low amount of carbs they are not typically included in the carbs list by the American Diabetes Association. STARCHY vegetables are considerd major carbs by the ADA. The amount of carbs in non-starchy veggies is so low it's not worth worrying about.

From the ADA website http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/carb-counting/ :

"What Foods Have Carbohydrate?
    Foods that contain carbohydrate are:
    •starchy foods like bread, cereal, rice, and crackers
    •fruit and juice
    •milk and yogurt
    •dried beans like pinto beans and soy products like veggie burgers
    •starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn
    •sweets and snack foods like sodas, juice drinks, cake, cookies, candy, and chips
    Non-starchy vegetables have a little bit of carbohydrate but in general are very low."

Also, I understand where the original question comes from. I have a starchy/carb problem in the evenings. I just crave starchy stuff. It's sometimes easier just to avoid them altogether. As someone else commented, the ADA recommends that you consume your starches with protein. I find that to be very helpful. Apple with peanut butter, carrots and hummus, etc. It's more satisfying and stays with you longer that way.

Good luck on your quest!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it's a little extreme to simply state all vegetables are carbs.

Serious question: Can you name a vegetable that is not a carbohydrate?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You might want to explore the reasons why it has worked for you, and what "worked" actually means. Was it due to reducing your overall calories, or was it due to some magical force that science has not yet discovered?