Need to eat more, but how?

Options
I'm having a hard time eating back my calories I burn. My stomach has shrunk so it doesn't take much to make me feel full anymore. If they were bad calories it wouldn't be a problem at all;) Does anyone have any suggestions?? Will my body really go into starvation mode right away even if I don't feel hungry or would it take awhile before that happens?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Just stop tracking then.

You've reached the holy grail.
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just stop tracking then.

You've reached the holy grail.
    [/quote

What do you mean?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eating back my calories I burn. My stomach has shrunk so it doesn't take much to make me feel full anymore. If they were bad calories it wouldn't be a problem at all;) Does anyone have any suggestions?? Will my body really go into starvation mode right away even if I don't feel hungry or would it take awhile before that happens?

Eat calorie dense foods... full fat dairies, higher fat meats, cook with oil, etc etc. You don't have to eat more food (volume), you just have to eat more calories.

As for starvation mode... how many cals are you netting each day? How long have you been doing it? Are you still trying to lose? If so, how much more do you want to lose?
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    What do you mean?

I mean you don't seem to have an issue with food or will power so eat instinctively and watch your weight fall off.

If you genuinely don't have an issue with over indulging then there's no need to over complicate things.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    Essentially (in my British sense of humour) I'm calling BS on people who claim not to be able to eat enough food to meet their targets.

How did you get fat in the first place?
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with Emma. Unless you're seeking athletic goals; then you should still track your macros.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    You don't have to "literally" eat back your exercise calories i.e. go to the gym, burn off 500 calories, come home and eat something worth 500 calories on top of your planned meals for the day.

Simply factor the extra 500 across the day and enjoy bigger portions!
  • mar_aar
    mar_aar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use to wonder the same thing with tracking. I am not "fat," but slightly over my desired weight. I just aim to eat 1650 or less a day and if I burn 1000 calories then I have a glass of wine at night or eat a bigger portion at a meal. I don't aim to eat back the 1000(I sure could) and I don't believe I'll go into starvation mode if I do this once a week.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. I'm not saying that what has worked for me will work for you, but you can see that I end up eating a decent amount of calorie-dense food to meet my calorie goal. My favorites are homemade almond butter and full fat yogurt.

I workout 6 days a week and always try to come within 100 calories of my goal (either + or - 100). There have been days when I had over 300 calories left to consume that I did not eat and I definitely noticed it the next day. So, now I make sure to properly fuel my body every day (and sometimes go over my calorie goal). I always eat back my workout calories. On the days that I haven't, I've noticed significantly increased hunger which makes me want to binge as well as kinda just being out of it. I don't do that anymore.

As you'll see in my diary - I'm not perfect. I still have a couple days a week where I'm over my calorie goal, but I try to make sure it averages out close to my goal for the week. So far, it's worked for me. The funny thing is to, you definitely can tell when you've had the proper amount of nutrition for your body. That extra almond butter or yogurt at the end of the day gives me the feeling of being content - I don't feel full - but I can tell my body isn't hungry anymore and doesn't require more fuel. Your body knows what it needs (for me it's usually more calories and fat) and will be content when it gets it.

Good Luck!
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    Essentially (in my British sense of humour) I'm calling BS on people who claim not to be able to eat enough food to meet their targets.

[/quote

You can call it BS all you want. I'm not posting a topic on here to lie, I simply asked a question.
    I got fat from over eating and not working out. Since I have been counting my calories and decreasing my portion sizes and eating healthier foods I'm not as hungry.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

This.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    Bear in mind that exercise calories can be overestimated and food calories can be underestimated. If you aren't hungry don't force yourself to eat. Pay attention to your body, if you are still losing your two pounds per week and feeling alright, don't cram food down your mouth.
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    Thank you, I'm going to add you if you don't mind so I can see how you do it:)
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    Bear in mind that exercise calories can be overestimated and food calories can be underestimated. If you aren't hungry don't force yourself to eat. Pay attention to your body, if you are still losing your two pounds per week and feeling alright, don't cram food down your mouth.

Thank you!! This is what I wanted to know...but even if I net only 700-1000 calories by the end of the day it will be okay?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Thank you!! This is what I wanted to know...but even if I net only 700-1000 calories by the end of the day it will be okay?

Depends what is ok for you. Generally speaking you'll be fine in the short term, but more than likely you'll see some negative side effects in the long run (body comp issues, hormones, energy levels, nutrition deficiencies, etc).

As I said before... eat foods that are more calorie dense. You can easily increase your cals without increasing the volume of food you eat.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would enjoy a nice full fat 1/2 cup of my favorite ice cream at night. Enjoy the extra calories. You will not gain weight if you are truly below your TDEE. So, enjoy the extra calories with something you love....Ice cream and brownies for me. As long as your exercising and eating TDEE or below....you will not gain. I'm never to full for some Ice cream.
  • Alexfit12
    Alexfit12 Posts: 54
    Options

Why must you assume that everyone who is here got fat? And fat is such an ugly word as well...

There are people here who do not have a problem with stuffing their bodies with junk food. There are people here who want to decrease their fat percentage a bit, build a little muscle, run a little faster, eat clean. There are people here who have never been fat as you think of it.

Moreover, for those of us who treat our bodies with respect, how to eat more calories (without eating unhealthy food, without eating added sugar, etc.) is a legitimate question that deserves more consideration than "How did you get fat in the first place?"
  • amber_michelle30
    Options

Depends what is ok for you. Generally speaking you'll be fine in the short term, but more than likely you'll see some negative side effects in the long run (body comp issues, hormones, energy levels, nutrition deficiencies, etc).

As I said before... eat foods that are more calorie dense. You can easily increase your cals without increasing the volume of food you eat.

I'm going to start doing some protein shakes, maybe adding some peanut butter to them. Thank you all for your help!!
  • amber_michelle30
    Options

Why must you assume that everyone who is here got fat? And fat is such an ugly word as well...

There are people here who do not have a problem with stuffing their bodies with junk food. There are people here who want to decrease their fat percentage a bit, build a little muscle, run a little faster, eat clean. There are people here who have never been fat as you think of it.

Moreover, for those of us who treat our bodies with respect, how to eat more calories (without eating unhealthy food, without eating added sugar, etc.) is a legitimate question that deserves more consideration than "How did you get fat in the first place?"

Thank you!!! I kind of expected a reply such as that because there is one in every crowd;) That's the reason I rarely post anything on here, but I was very curious to see how others do it. And people can call me fat as much as they like...it just pushes me harder!!