The friend who NEVER follows through..........

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
So today I got an email from a friend who always starts with me for a couple of weeks with the best intentions, stays on course for 2 weeks, then bam....................gone. This has been several occasions and it always ends up the same. Now she has another event to attend and wants my help again. I used to get really frustrated with people like this, but there comes a point where I have to treat it like a business and just get paid for doing a job. I've tried being more stern with her, but to no avail. I'll still train her because she's paying for it, but sometimes it gets demotivating because I know it will be in vain. Just had to get that off my chest.

Don't be a "gonna doer" or "wanna doer". Be the DOER.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Yes
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have two female relatives who are the same way. One has about 100 lbs to lose, and she's constantly doing these three-day diets or whatever. The other just has 15 or 20 post-baby pounds, and I think she understands the calories in < calories out concept because I've gotten her to use MFP to log her food. But she's just not willing to stick with it long enough to see progress. It "depresses" her to see how many calories she eats in a normal day and how much she'd have to cut back to lose the weight, so she just ignores it.

I've basically spelled out in crayon for them exactly what I did to lose 100+ lbs, and I've done it on multiple occasions, but their response is always "That's too much work." My response is "Then you don't want it badly enough," and they get all pissy and don't talk to me for a month. At least you're getting paid.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options

^^^EXACTLY
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I've got a few friends like that, but I don't have the luxury of getting paid for it :(

So I just end up telling them to either quit complaining, or start doing it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If she wasn't paying you for it, I'd tell her to come back after a couple of months of regular gym attendance, to show she was serious.
    As she is paying for it, I might mention to her that she'd be getting a lot more for her money if she stayed on track, but if she doesn't want to do that, you'll still be happy to take her money. But, she shouldn't be upset with you for lack of progress.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    So today I got an email from a friend who always starts with me for a couple of weeks with the best intentions, stays on course for 2 weeks, then bam....................gone. This has been several occasions and it always ends up the same. Now she has another event to attend and wants my help again. I used to get really frustrated with people like this, but there comes a point where I have to treat it like a business and just get paid for doing a job. I've tried being more stern with her, but to no avail. I'll still train her because she's paying for it, but sometimes it gets demotivating because I know it will be in vain. Just had to get that off my chest.

IDEA Fitness member

so as a PT you don't recommend people join MFP I take it?

I just think as a paying client I wouldn't want you to recommend me to a good site that you use, only to see you ***** about me...that's all.

that's all....no offense.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have a friend/coworker like that. I offered to help her with working out & picking healthier food but she never did anything about it except complain.
    I finally told her to either get off her *kitten* & do something about it or stop complaining about being fat around me since I was sick of it.
    At least you get paid.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    I started this site with my sister, my brother and my brother in law, after two weeks I was the only one logging in.... I'm grateful for them getting me on here, because I think being of the habit of accounting for my eating will be very very helpful when I'm trying to maintain my weight, but it would have been nice for them to keep up with it too.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like that who started with me and then just gave me a long laundry list of things she wont do to lose weight; like giving up super sized portions of ice cream.

I am okay with people getting in the weight loss mode in their own good time. But then dont be jealous of me for sticking with the plan and losing weight.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,977 Member
    Options
    Or as yoda says, "DO OR DO NOT. There is no trying."
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's disappointing to see friends like this, family, and even people on MFP. Unfortunately, they have to make up their own minds to change for good. The "Oh, I'm starting today! 2nd day of such and such"....then nothing for a month or horrible food choices. I feel like it's a lot of the boy who cried wolf and attention wanting for doing well for a day or two. It is even hard to encourage people who have this habit. Again, we can't make up their minds for them to change their life. Wish I could, I'm afraid for the health of a lot of people at this point. :(
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I don't work out with friends or family anymore for this exact reason.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a few of those. A few have emailed me or fb messaged me and said they are ready, and willing to commit. About 2 weeks later I hear nothing from them. They say they want to lose weight but are always checking in to all these restaurants and bars every other day. I no longer answer to thier emails.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I just think as a paying client I wouldn't want you to recommend me to a good site that you use, only to see you ***** about me...that's all.

Lol, I doubt she would use it even if I mentioned it to her! I actually do mention it to clients for calorie counting.I rarely speak of clients on here. And there are no names mentioned to keep anomnymity. Lol, maybe I should have her read it cause that will make it sink in. Not that I haven't tried to do it verbally.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Or as yoda says, "DO OR DO NOT. There is no trying."
    Mother****er does all his **** with a cane too!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends like this... I just stopped asking people to go with me because once they told me they were going to be at the gym at a certain time they showed up an hour late, I'm doing this for me, not them. They won't do it until they have hit rock bottom and there is no reason to let them drag you down with them.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, I doubt she would use it even if I mentioned it to her! I actually do mention it to clients for calorie counting.I rarely speak of clients on here. And there are no names mentioned to keep anomnymity. Lol, maybe I should have her read it cause that will make it sink in. Not that I haven't tried to do it verbally.

IDEA Fitness member

Everyone's gotta right to kvetch...i'm not saying you don't have a right,

I'm just saying IF *I* was a paying customer who you recommended to me that I join this site...and then saw you kvetching about a customer that sounded like me....then I'd be pissed

that's all....be careful...that's all....clients pay...you don't throw them away.
  • carid2
    carid2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I stopped counting on friends and family...they always quit. I am not new to MFP but new to posting on threads and would really like a place I can check in and have someone hold me accountable or keep me motivated. I can stay pretty motivated on my own, but it's nice to be able to compare workout stories and brag on goals met and talk about your "opps" days. Hope I can find a thread like that!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's disappointing to see friends like this, family, and even people on MFP. Unfortunately, they have to make up their own minds to change for good. The "Oh, I'm starting today! 2nd day of such and such"....then nothing for a month or horrible food choices. I feel like it's a lot of the boy who cried wolf and attention wanting for doing well for a day or two. It is even hard to encourage people who have this habit. Again, we can't make up their minds for them to change their life. Wish I could, I'm afraid for the health of a lot of people at this point. :(
    Yeah, I hear ya! I friend anyone that asks me, but every couple of weeks or so, I go through my friends list and delete the ones that are a month of non activity. Lots of good intentions, but no follow through. But that's life.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Everyone's gotta right to kvetch...i'm not saying you don't have a right,

I'm just saying IF *I* was a paying customer who you recommended to me that I join this site...and then saw you kvetching about a customer that sounded like me....then I'd be pissed

that's all....be careful...that's all....clients pay...you don't throw them away.
    Hopefully this is one that will get pissed.:laugh:
    I get what you're saying. As I mentioned, it's RARE that I speak of any clients at all and usually it's when they are doing something good and I want to mention it to inspire others.

IDEA Fitness member