Appetite suppressants

Options
Hi Everyone,

I admit it, I love food. I'm addicted to the food network and I love cooking.

Along with some life style changes (including dusting off the gym membership and eating better), I am considering using an appetite supressent.

Dr Oz (I know some of you dont like him) recommended one on his show called Glucomannan. The idea is that glucomannan basically draws water from your stomach and expands, making you feel full faster.

Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Dani xo

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or you could just drink lots of water to fill your stomach up.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would drink a lot of water - kinda sounds like the same concept.
    Eating more greens and veggies fills you up fast and keeps you full longer - I find this to be especially true when I add even a small amount of protein to my salad.
    There are a lot of healthy, easy ways to make more "honest" changes.
    Coffee - even one cup, suppresses my appetite as well.
    After you count calories for awhile, too - you tend to need smaller portions of food to feel full.
  • HighlyFavor
    HighlyFavor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it works out
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have it. It works like a charm. I actually gave it to a co-worker because I decided I need to eat because my body is telling me something instead of suppressing. Its really cheap on Amazon where I had been buying it for the last few months.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually chew some gum! :) Or have a spoonful of peanut butter.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My sister takes Konjac root (Glucomannan) capsules, it helps suppress her appetite . I tried them once just to see if she was fibbing. I took 2 capsules and a glass of water and in about 20 minutes I didn't feel hungry at all. She also takes them when she wants to cheat with some candy or other sweets, helps so you don't absorb all the sugar.
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments.

And the link was appreciated, it answered some of my questions.

Cheers,
    Dani
  • xomellyxo
    xomellyxo Posts: 32
    Options
    Often a large glass of water would stop you from feeling hungry after 20 mins anyway!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Increase your Chromium intake. It is found in a lot of foods. Chromium helps with insulin utilization and has been found to be a good nutrtional supplement to take as many are chromium deficient.

Food sources of chromium are broccoli, grape juice, whole grains, potatoes, beef, orange juice, turkey, red wine, apples, banana, and green beans. Chromium is found in a lot of healthy foods.

Research has shown that people who eat foods high in simple sugars (more than 35% of calories) are more likely to have a chromium deficiency due to increased loss of chromium in urine. This may be due to the fact that foods in a high sugar displace healthy foods high in chromium. Reducing the amount of simple sugar is always an improvement to a healthy eating plan.

Magnesium is involved with calcium and phosphorus in depositing these minerals in bones and teeth (50% of magnesium is in bone), the transmission of nerve impulses like keeping normal heart rhythm, keeping a healthy immune system, building of protein structures, enzymes and muscle contraction. Yes magnesium helps regulate blood glucose levels and is involved in energy metabolism.
  • skinnyvegan108
    Options
    Lol I hate dr oz
    Back on topic though
    2 cups water before your meal 2 cups while eating
    Coffee, tea hot liquids pretty much help
    You don't NEED suppressants when there's so many natural ways that are also 0 cals
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i'll have a quest bar and a glass of water.

BOOM. great protein, great fiber, about 170-200 calories (depending on the flavor), and keeps me full for hours.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The best appetite suppressant I've been able to find is the mirror. Doesn't always work but it helps tremendously.