How to avoid boredom when running on a treadmill

Options
I have been running on my treadmill out in my garage for the past month. (at least 3 times a week) I bring my phone or my iPad out so that i can turn on Pandora and listen to music but i still seem to get bored very easily. After about 8-10 minutes my heart rate levels out and i feel like i could run forever, but at about 15 minutes i get bored and end up only running 2.08miles/22minutes! Please someone give me some ideas so i can try to work closer to my 5k goal!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    go outside
  • squelette
    Options
    but baby it's cold outside
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I find changing the incline or speed a little every 30 or 60 seconds helps to break up the monotony.
  • stepplax
    stepplax Posts: 26
    Options
    You need better music!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Do you have a TV that you could bring out there? The only way I avoid boredom is by watching a TV show I really like. Also, watching sports is good, something about the action on screen really pumps me up.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Can you set up a tv in your garage? That may help?
  • Joely91
    Joely91 Posts: 1
    Options
    i put on a new music album i havent heard and listen to the lyrics, it takes my mind off the running-

i also hide the time on the treadmill otherwise i time watch.

listen to an audio book.

xxx
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Change up your music playlist to vary the intensity of the songs or the genre - alternate with some slower, mild rock with some more intense hard rock (or whatever genres you prefer). I find that if the music is constantly changing, I don't get bored as quickly.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Gotta give yourself a view. If you are looking at a garage wall or garage door the whole time, yes you are gonna get board.

Put a TV somewhere you can watch it and play a movie or just watch whatever is on.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I agree with outside, but what keeps me entertained when I'm inside are game shows, trashy talk show (You ARE NOT the father!), or stupid reality shows. My brain shuts off when watching and it makes me forget how bored I am. So, maybe a tv so you can watch some shows or movies you enjoy.
  • smzackery
    Options
    try looking at a movie or a television show to pass the time via your iPad; although I have not downloaded any there maybe some iTune apps that may help.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do intervals mixed with some weight training. Sprint for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds for 5 minutes, then jump off & do some jumping jacks, squats with shldr presses, etc... then repeat... time goes by a lot faster doing this & your still keeping your heart rate up.
  • jneill69
    jneill69 Posts: 22
    Options
    I listen to audio books.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i change my speed to stop me getting bored every couple of mins
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I hung a TV on the wall in front of my treadmill, then I put in a really action heavy movie, or anything I can really get sucked into. Transporter, Salt, Expendables, etc something where people fight and shoot and stuff. If I watch something slow I find myself slowing down, or walking during quiet parts, so it's just shoot em up flicks for me.
  • pooogey
    pooogey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually watch something on Netflix on my tablet. It always helps pass the time!
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been running on my treadmill out in my garage for the past month. (at least 3 times a week) I bring my phone or my iPad out so that i can turn on Pandora and listen to music but i still seem to get bored very easily. After about 8-10 minutes my heart rate levels out and i feel like i could run forever, but at about 15 minutes i get bored and end up only running 2.08miles/22minutes! Please someone give me some ideas so i can try to work closer to my 5k goal!

Stop after 15 - hit the weights.
  • htiafyenaffit
    htiafyenaffit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    download one of those apps on your phone that play sounds like you're getting chased lol athough if i did that id prob pass out I hate feeling like something/someone is following me but it could keep ya going
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    follow this user on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/virtualexercise

It'll help you to switch up when you should change the incline an what not also
  • pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't like running outside when it's dark so I've been running on the treadmill too. When I got bored with my music, I downloaded (free) apps for the CW, ABC and NBC and I stream tv shows - one episode of Vampire Diaries can get you through 6-7 miles :)