calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    I'm mixed.. i'm about 1/16 southeast Asian, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 polish, and then a very tiny bit Portuguese, Japanese, Cherokee native American, French, German, English, Austrian, Egyptian, and some of my family in Ireland is black.. but i look English. So.. i'm not really racist.
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm half white, half black

Raised equally by each parent, fully immersed in both aussie and african culture

consider myself neither one or the other, rather just ME.
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm half white, half Mexican. Every one assumes I'm white, because I look white. When I fill out papers and I'm asked for my ethnicity, my mom (who is Mexican) always makes me put 'cacasian'. I JUST WANT TO BE HISPANIC!!! :sad:

In all seriousness, if you are 'part' black. You are black... PLUS whatever else you are.

I'm attracted to everyone... :laugh:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm human. My skin pigmentation is light in color. I'm attracted to female humans. Some other humans are attracted me. If I drop it more than once it's usually broken. I hate when I have the dropsies.
  • drkimmyv
    drkimmyv Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm Native american and caucasian. the One drop rule and other % rules (applied to NA people) have been ways for government to track and classify people. I believe one's identity is bigger than that and may relate to spiritual, socioeconomic, and other cultural practices. Same with who you are attracted to.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    The one drop rule was a tool of oppression. I think you should identify as you choose. I consider myself black although through DNA test discovered I'm 30 percent Scandinavian and 5 percent Native American. I often wonder what my son will consider himself as his dad is Scottish and English.

Based on my DNA test, I am 50% Flirt, 50% Pervert
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I came in here to say I hope this thread dies and then I read these two and grinned a little.
    I'm Irish, German, Spanish, and Aztec.

Theoretically, you shouldn't make me mad or I could cut out your heart and feed it to Caribbean prisoners in my work camp who survive on the remnants of my whiskey and potatoes.
    I'm human. My skin pigmentation is light in color. I'm attracted to female humans. Some other humans are attracted me. If I drop it more than once it's usually broken. I hate when I have the dropsies.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is half Ecuadorian and half white. When people ask me where he's from, I say "Ohio." Problem solved.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My parents are African, born in Africa, they are white, not that it matters. I am born in Canada, so I am Canadian. My family is pretty diverse, but I identify with the place I was born. Oh, and I am awesome too (100%).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am one drop cyborg and one drop beast
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    im part awesome, so i consider myself fully awesome.

For the win!! :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    As a white man, I find this thread offensive, and I didn't even read it.
    With love,
    Burt
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

and half drop kitten.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed.. i'm about 1/16 southeast Asian, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 polish, and then a very tiny bit Portuguese, Japanese, Cherokee native American, French, German, English, Austrian, Egyptian, and some of my family in Ireland is black.. but i look English. So.. i'm not really racist.

O_o you're more mixed than I am.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish, German, Spanish, and Aztec.

Theoretically, you shouldn't make me mad or I could cut out your heart and feed it to Caribbean prisoners in my work camp who survive on the remnants of my whiskey and potatoes.

:laugh: Pretty sure most of my Irish/Scots/Welsh/English ancestry is just a bunch of savages. My Cherokee ancestors seem to have been pretty mellow, though. Too mellow.

As for who I identify with? No one except maybe the geek tribe. I hate mainstream American culture and was never raised as part of another one. And it's the culture we're raised in and how we relate to it (or don't) that makes us what we are.

But just in case, I'll try not to piss you off. I didn't work this hard to get skinny just to end up with a gaping hole in my chest and I would have been better as food supply when I was fattened up!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

and half drop kitten.

meow
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    after watching a few documentaries I thought I'd post a thread.

How do mixed people feel about the one drop rule? and by mixed I mostly mean with some sort of African decent
    Do you consider yourself black, white mixed?

Being mixed what are you more attracted too? and what/who is attracted to you?

this thread isn't meant to stir anyone up... I myself am of a diverse background.

The "One Drop Rule" was used during slavery, meaning a person that who's blood was "tainted" with even "one drop" of "black blood" would be considered black, therefore making him slave-worthy. This is obviously irrelevant today.

I consider myself mixed. I am half white and half black. IF (in the few instances) that I have to check a box and "More than one race" isn't an option, I will identify as black.

Ever since the first boy I liked in kindergarden, I have only found myself attracted to black guys. This is not to say men of other races aren't attractive or aren't worthy...Its just a personal preference that I have NO control over. I'd also like to point out that I've never in my life even been approached by anyone but black guys so maybe subconsciously that has something to do with it...Who knows! lol

My dad is black and my mom is white. I'm attracted to black guys and my four older brothers all married white girls. Coincidence?
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm half and it pisses me off - why is one half more defining than the other? Half = half, I'm no more black than I am white and vice-versa!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Born and raised 9th generation South African. Now an American citizen. Do I identify as African-American? I could, I definitely could. But I would also catch a lot of *kitten* for it.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Yeah I have never liked the "one-drop" rule. It is kinda silly if you ask me. For instance, how the heck is Barack Obama considered "black", when he is half-white, was raised by his white folks, and only met his black father once in his life? In a larger context though, I just don't know why we have to "classify" people like that anyway. Hopefully those classifications fade with time. It has for some (ie: Italians), but not others (ie: blacks). Time will tell.
    that rule started with racism back in the old south, if you had one drop of black blood in you, you were considered dirty, and you were automatically black because they couldn't have you messing up the pure white race. that mentality stuck.