calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    the one drop rule is absurd. that is like denying one whole side of my race, in my case, my mother is full filipino, and my dad is black hispanic. i WILL never allow society to put me in a box the way they did in slave times, and the one drop rule was meant to keep people in slavery, because apparently, if the mother is a non black, then the slave could be free. so that would mean loss of money, and the one drop rule was made. So when ignorant people try to tell me what I am, I look at my mixed family and feel good knowing I am what I am. I don't care what other people think I am because I correct them if need be.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am one drop cyborg and one drop beast

and half drop kitten.

meow

tumblr_lfp54aVa0I1qzb7jso1_1280.jpg

w7zq12.jpg

816941.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

and half drop kitten.

meow

w7zq12.jpg

816941.gif

Make sure you log those schnozzberries!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have a drop of giant sea cucumber DNA. Should I be concerned?
    Those things feel super neat. :tongue:

From the naked scientist web site.

RTEmagicC_Sea_Cucumber_small.jpg.jpg

I'm glad to be related to such a sexy beast.
    Awesome, one squirted water at me, I giggled, my bf shook his head. I think he was jealous.

Mostly mouth and gonads. Your bf should be jealous of such animals. But no cucumber is taking you abroad, I think he'll do ok with the competition.

Thankfully I don't share any blood with platypus. I think they spontaneously generated.

Edit: platypi? Platypuses?
    Platapusua?
    Drawntogethers01e02_05.png
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Since we're talking about what we check on those dratted "choose your ethnicity" forms...

Why is it always "White / Caucasian (not Latino or Hispanic)" OR "Hispanic / Latino"? I am both and always have been... *kicks rocks*

I applied to a community college that I really didn't want to go to, and I said that I was purple. Also, in the section that said "Why are you interested in this college?" I wrote "There was a hot guy in the brochure. Can you give me his number?" I wasn't accepted, and I don't know why. I had a 3.86 GPA. Probably because I'm purple.

Hahahaha! That is awesome. I should apply to jobs off Craigslist like that.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mixed people....not all mixed people look mixed. I myself have dark brown skin, but have a lot of European ancestry due to my Jamaican background. I identify myself as black. I married a beautiful white man and when we have children...they are free to identify themselves however they want. When they ask me what they are...I plan on telling them they are human and children of the most High God (Jesus)!
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options

My cousin had to deal with something similar.
    Her boyfriend in high school found out that her great grandmother was black, and he dumped her. He saw a picture and she said that was her great grandma. She loves her family and was pissed at him for being so shallow as to dump her because of the skin color of her great grandma. Apparently he was "really broken up about it".... Good riddance.

I'm sure he was SO broken-up. SMH. Clown. People are jerks.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

and half drop kitten.

meow

w7zq12.jpg

816941.gif

3r2lp1.jpg
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This thread has been enlightening. I'd honestly never heard of this 'one drop rule' thing before now. Maybe that's cos I'm from the UK and we don't have that over here or something. Hmm. We just have idiot skinheads and extremist Muslims fighting each other in marches in Luton.

Also, I learnt when I was 12 that my friend's very white, very fair mother was a full-blooded Jamaican. My mind was blown for weeks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Awesome, one squirted water at me, I giggled, my bf shook his head. I think he was jealous.

Mostly mouth and gonads. Your bf should be jealous of such animals. But no cucumber is taking you abroad, I think he'll do ok with the competition.

Thankfully I don't share any blood with platypus. I think they spontaneously generated.

Platapusua?

That's so twisted I want to keep children away from TVs.
    That would be tentapusua. Not sure any one has a drop of their blood. No. Just no.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    TRUTH IS you cant go around pretending that white privilege doesn't exist. Its here, even without being the majority race, period.

My 8 year old has struggled with her identity already and i am happy to give her examples of how important and un-important it is all at the same time. She will know REAL HISTORY and she will know REAL AMERICA. I cannot lie to her and say skin color doesn't matter because she has already seen and felt the reality of it (unfortunately).

I love living in a multi-racial home. My husband is Nez Perce (Native American) I am white. My children have black aunties, a white auntie, Mexican uncles, Native American uncles, and incredibly mixed cousins :)

MAN DO WE HAVE SOME KILLER BBQ's
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed, half Sephardic Jew / Half Ashenazic Jew. Half of my family are a few generations from Spain, speak Spanish fluently. My nickname when I was a kid was Juan Epstein.

I have NO idea what to put on those forms. I just write in 'Imperial Race Klingon'.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I am half Tiger Blood, half awesome. So all awesome. With a drop of hotness.
  • TheRightWeigh
    Options
    This thread has been enlightening. I'd honestly never heard of this 'one drop rule' thing before now. Maybe that's cos I'm from the UK and we don't have that over here or something. Hmm. We just have idiot skinheads and extremist Muslims fighting each other in marches in Luton.

Also, I learnt when I was 12 that my friend's very white, very fair mother was a full-blooded Jamaican. My mind was blown for weeks.

I don't know if British/UK slave trade...white-black race relations were ever as outlandish as the U.S. I do know that the slave trade ended decades if not a full century or two before the U.S. stopped.

Was her mother Caucasian? I know there are Caucasian Jamaicans and they have the accent and everything! or is she just a really fair skinned afro-carribean. The Islands have such diverse ethnicity as there is PLENTY of mixing going on. Beautiful people.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Does the one drop rule apply to other races as well? If so, you are looking a a Native American...a memeber of the Lac Courte Orielles Band of Chippewa. And I am by tribal membership. When I was in college, I fully identified as such. And they identified me as a wannabe. Why...because I was raised in a completely whitebread town in Wisconsin, nowhere near the rez. Yeah. I finally came to terms with the fact that I am a white girl. That's just the way it is for me.

Can 'white' be counted as a culture? Even in Wisconsin? :tongue: Anyway, this made me sad for you. The disaffected geek tribe is always recruiting, though. Join us and we shall rule the world! It isn't our DNA that will determine the course of humanity, it is those who can alter the DNA of humanity that will determine our course.

Come to think of it, that is a very scary thought and has been giving me nightmares for some time now, yet the possibilities for making our species happier, healthier, and possibly even immortal is also there. I should have gone into genetics.

Anyone still hunting around for a field of study who reads this, don't make the mistakes I did. The future is the sciences, for better or worse. Don't bother with politics and history except insofar as it's useful to understand our past idiocies (such as the many -isms) so as not to repeat them.
  • TheRightWeigh
    Options
    I'm mixed, half Sephardic Jew / Half Ashenazic Jew. Half of my family are a few generations from Spain, speak Spanish fluently. My nickname when I was a kid was Juan Epstein.

I have NO idea what to put on those forms. I just write in 'Imperial Race Klingon'.

Imperial Race Klingon! LOL!!! BEST EVER!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Since we're talking about what we check on those dratted "choose your ethnicity" forms...

Why is it always "White / Caucasian (not Latino or Hispanic)" OR "Hispanic / Latino"? I am both and always have been... *kicks rocks*

In the UK the weird one is Asian, because it only refers to the Indian subcontinent, not the whole of Asia.

My son will get to tick something like 'mixed other', because he's half Japanese. I'm 1/16 French, 1/8 somewhere in Scandinavia (probably, as we don't know who my Nan's dad was), and my brother inherited all the blond and tan genes while I didn't. I know about those bits because the stories are interesting, and I know members of my great grandparents generation married German and Indian women, but otherwise, no clue. I like knowing that my ancestors didn't limit themselves too much when choosing a mate, but I don't think it has had any impact on my life.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Platapusua?

That's so twisted I want to keep children away from TVs.
    That would be tentapusua. Not sure any one has a drop of their blood. No. Just no.
    I love Drawn Together. That's the episode they found out Clara (the racist Disney princess) found out she had a cursed 'octapusua'.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Only people with African descent count as mixed? I'm of mixed descent. That doesn't mean that I've lived through the things that members of my family lived through. There's descent, and there is life experience, when it comes to identity.