Cardio vs. weight training at the gym

Options
I started going to the gym last week but since my time is pressed I have been doing 30-45 mins of cardio and haven't done any weight training, can anyone let me know if is it ok that I continue only cardio? My goal is to lose 25lbs by June 1st.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You'll miss out on some great health benefits. But you can still lose weight just fine by sticking to only cardio.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be one or the other? Do cardio one day and weights the next - you need both.....
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You can just do cardio and lose weight, but it won't offer the same results as strength work. You don't want to end up skinny-fat!

The majority of my exercise is fast paced bodyweight exercises mixed with some running, and I love the results I'm getting. You can keep your heart rate up while maintaining some muscle by doing bodyweight exercises like lunges, pushups, squats, etc. It's way more fun in my opinion than just cardio.
  • sandiebell
    sandiebell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What is fast pace body weight exercises please?
  • Moosiklaydy
    Options
    You will lose weight, but it will be a mixture of muscle and fat. Muscle helps burn calories. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Since you're pressed for time, I would consider doing circuit training that involves intervals of cardio along with intervals of weights. In 1/2 an hour, if you're pushing yourself hard enough, you'll burn anywhere from 250 to 400 calories! It works for me :)
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    I do weights 3 days and cardio 3 days....I think u will get better results if u do both....
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I love to work out at the park. I try to use the stuff around me and keep moving.

For example, I will do 30 walking lunges, then 30 mountain climbers, then 30 squats, then 30 jumping jacks, then a minute of plank. I will run around the park, then repeat the sequence. I use a heart rate monitor.

You can buy books or iphone apps with tons of bodyweight exercises, but a quick google search will give you a huge list.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be one or the other? Do cardio one day and weights the next - you need both.....

^ This.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I do both while at the gym. 5km run at least (depending on how I feel I may do double that) and then at least 40 mins of lifting heavy. Nothing wrong with doing it that way at all either despite what anyone says.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Cardio only is fine for losing weight but you won't shape your body with it. Try circuit training...kills two birds with one stone and you are in and out quick!
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You should do both to build lean muscle. There are plenty of jiggly skinny people out there and if are taking the time to lose weight you don't want to end up one of them! The guy at my gym said you should do a 5 minute cardio warm up then weights. I would take the others advice and do every other day, cardio then weights the next day. You will still burn calories doing weights and the muscle you tone will continue to burn them throughout the day. Good luck!
  • Mayra_121
    Mayra_121 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thanks!!!!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. however, cardio + strength training gives the best results in the fastest time. do it it interval-style and you'll burn even more cals = significant weight loss.