calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options
    TRUTH IS you cant go around pretending that white privilege doesn't exist. Its here, even without being the majority race, period.

My 8 year old has struggled with her identity already and i am happy to give her examples of how important and un-important it is all at the same time. She will know REAL HISTORY and she will know REAL AMERICA. I cannot lie to her and say skin color doesn't matter because she has already seen and felt the reality of it (unfortunately).

I love living in a multi-racial home. My husband is Nez Perce (Native American) I am white. My children have black aunties, a white auntie, Mexican uncles, Native American uncles, and incredibly mixed cousins :)

MAN DO WE HAVE SOME KILLER BBQ's

What is this white privilege you speak of???? They forgot to tell me about this!!!!!! I have been missing out on all my privileges!
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i think you will be alright ;)
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    Are we all not MIXED people anyway?!?!? Yes!!! I was born in America, that makes me American. However, I am a whole lot of other races mixed up into me. If I see, you out in the street I see YOU!!! I don't see your race!!
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Does the one drop rule apply to other races as well? If so, you are looking a a Native American...a memeber of the Lac Courte Orielles Band of Chippewa. And I am by tribal membership. When I was in college, I fully identified as such. And they identified me as a wannabe. Why...because I was raised in a completely whitebread town in Wisconsin, nowhere near the rez. Yeah. I finally came to terms with the fact that I am a white girl. That's just the way it is for me.

Can 'white' be counted as a culture? Even in Wisconsin? :tongue: Anyway, this made me sad for you. The disaffected geek tribe is always recruiting, though. Join us and we shall rule the world! It isn't our DNA that will determine the course of humanity, it is those who can alter the DNA of humanity that will determine our course.

Come to think of it, that is a very scary thought and has been giving me nightmares for some time now, yet the possibilities for making our species happier, healthier, and possibly even immortal is also there. I should have gone into genetics.

Anyone still hunting around for a field of study who reads this, don't make the mistakes I did. The future is the sciences, for better or worse. Don't bother with politics and history except insofar as it's useful to understand our past idiocies (such as the many -isms) so as not to repeat them.

Aww...don't be sad for me! I'm really saying the same thing you are. The whole blood thing is silly beyond silly. In college they made it seem so important. They also made it seem like being white was a bad thing. I'm very proud of my whitebread cheesy Wisconsin heritage...because it's who I am! We should all just be happy to be who we are!:smile:
  • jgbkab
    jgbkab Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm half red, half white and hald blue.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm Bahamian, I got many drops of something in me.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Does the one drop rule apply to other races as well? If so, you are looking a a Native American...a memeber of the Lac Courte Orielles Band of Chippewa. And I am by tribal membership. When I was in college, I fully identified as such. And they identified me as a wannabe. Why...because I was raised in a completely whitebread town in Wisconsin, nowhere near the rez. Yeah. I finally came to terms with the fact that I am a white girl. That's just the way it is for me.

Can 'white' be counted as a culture? Even in Wisconsin? :tongue: Anyway, this made me sad for you. The disaffected geek tribe is always recruiting, though. Join us and we shall rule the world! It isn't our DNA that will determine the course of humanity, it is those who can alter the DNA of humanity that will determine our course.

Come to think of it, that is a very scary thought and has been giving me nightmares for some time now, yet the possibilities for making our species happier, healthier, and possibly even immortal is also there. I should have gone into genetics.

Anyone still hunting around for a field of study who reads this, don't make the mistakes I did. The future is the sciences, for better or worse. Don't bother with politics and history except insofar as it's useful to understand our past idiocies (such as the many -isms) so as not to repeat them.

Aww...don't be sad for me! I'm really saying the same thing you are. The whole blood thing is silly beyond silly. In college they made it seem so important. They also made it seem like being white was a bad thing. I'm very proud of my whitebread cheesy Wisconsin heritage...because it's who I am! We should all just be happy to be who we are!:smile:

I guess I'm not very happy with the default American culture no matter what color it is, I see it as incredibly materialistic, hypocritical, and shallow. Then again, as a happy misanthrope, I don't have the best view of humanity in general.

But in the end, you're right, we really should try to be happy with who we are, since we're stuck with us anyway. I do wish I could tan instead of burn, peel, and freckle, though. I picked the wrong ancestors for a day at the beach! :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have a drop of giant sea cucumber DNA. Should I be concerned?
    Those things feel super neat. :tongue:

From the naked scientist web site.

RTEmagicC_Sea_Cucumber_small.jpg.jpg

I'm glad to be related to such a sexy beast.
    Awesome, one squirted water at me, I giggled, my bf shook his head. I think he was jealous.

Mostly mouth and gonads. Your bf should be jealous of such animals. But no cucumber is taking you abroad, I think he'll do ok with the competition.

Thankfully I don't share any blood with platypus. I think they spontaneously generated.

Edit: platypi? Platypuses?
    Platapusua?
    Drawntogethers01e02_05.png

That's so twisted I want to keep children away from TVs.
    That would be tentapusua. Not sure any one has a drop of their blood. No. Just no.
    I love Drawn Together. That's the episode they found out Clara (the racist Disney princess) found out she had a cursed 'octapusua'.

I only count six.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Locally, when working for a company that has more than 10 employees, the employees must be categorised by race. Basically, black, white and other. The concept is that the businesses must have the appropriate racial make up. Appropriate being to match the percentages within the population.

When I was asked to categorise myself, I chose Other. Either my grandmother or great grandmother was Black. I find that I like being Other.

I'm not tied to my heritage in the slightest. Not the White bits, not the Black bits, not the I don't know what the heck they are bits. And I have to admit that I don't quite understand people who are. I don't mind that they are, I just don't get it.

I'm me. I'm not my ancestors, I'm not the colour of my skin.

Did read something on white privilege not that long ago that I found interesting. Certainly it did exist historically, and continues to exist in many areas, but there is also the issue where the belief of white privilege is handed down within a family or area even though factually it does not exist. It's this latter issue when was thought to be the hardest thing to address.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to come in hear and keep my big mouth shut is what I'm going to do.

Thats a smart white boy
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options

What is this white privilege you speak of???? They forgot to tell me about this!!!!!! I have been missing out on all my privileges!

One of the best perks of White Privelege is not being aware of its existence.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So long as you are human, who cares what your background or heritage is? just be nice and good to one another.... stop labeling everyone.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i got LOTS of drops of coffee in me. Thas why I'm brown
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have mixed cousins they are offended by the one drop rule. they want to be focused for who they are inside. not for being half white and half african American.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have never liked the "one-drop" rule. It is kinda silly if you ask me. For instance, how the heck is Barack Obama considered "black", when he is half-white, was raised by his white folks, and only met his black father once in his life? In a larger context though, I just don't know why we have to "classify" people like that anyway. Hopefully those classifications fade with time. It has for some (ie: Italians), but not others (ie: blacks). Time will tell.

THIS!!!

I was a huge fan of Halle Berry until I watched one of her Oscar speeches. "This moment is so much bigger than me. This is for every nameless, faceless woman of colour who now has a chance tonight because this door has been opened."

As she spoke, the camera kept flashing back to her mother. Sure didn't seem like Halle was identifying with her mother at all during that speech.

I think Halle Berry and Barrack Obama are black because they look black. Their skin might not be very dark, but they still look black. I can understand Halle's speech though, she does not look white and therefore doesn't benefit from white privilege. She, like any other POC, will be treated differently based on the fact that they look black whether you define them as black or not.

List of white privileges, if youre curious: http://crc-global.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/white-privilege.pdf
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

One of the best perks of White Privelege is not being aware of its existence.

exactly :)<3
  • pepperdove
    pepperdove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As much as we would like to deny it, America still believes in the old "one drop rule". That's why Obama, though culturally pretty darned mixed, is 100% black as far as his political career is concerned.

I am half Norwegian, quarter African American, and quarter Creek. But as far as my fellow students growing up in Evanston, IL were concerned, I was half black. My community really wasn't interested in distinguishing farther than White, Black, or Latino. I sure as heck wasn't considered white, though, even though I have tan skin and Caucasian hair and green eyes. It was the one drop rule at work - my dad looked black, so I wasn't able to be white anymore.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    As much as we would like to deny it, America still believes in the old "one drop rule". That's why Obama, though culturally pretty darned mixed, is 100% black as far as his political career is concerned.

I am half Norwegian, quarter African American, and quarter Creek. But as far as my fellow students growing up in Evanston, IL were concerned, I was half black. My community really wasn't interested in distinguishing farther than White, Black, or Latino. I sure as heck wasn't considered white, though, even though I have tan skin and Caucasian hair and green eyes. It was the one drop rule at work - my dad looked black, so I wasn't able to be white anymore.

That mixed genetics created a very lovely woman.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Barrack Obama was raised by white people and allegedly only met his Black father once. However, when other people saw him. They saw a black boy. Society has treated him as such. He didn't get discriminated against less because his mother & grandparents are white. I have zero problem with Barrack Obama or any other mixed person identifying as black for this reason. I think it's idiotic for anyone to judge the POTUS for embracing his blackness. In all honesty. Most of my friends that are mixed, do identify as black for this very same reason.

This! You said it much better than I could. This is what I was getting at in my last post.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This thread has been enlightening. I'd honestly never heard of this 'one drop rule' thing before now. Maybe that's cos I'm from the UK and we don't have that over here or something. Hmm. We just have idiot skinheads and extremist Muslims fighting each other in marches in Luton.

Also, I learnt when I was 12 that my friend's very white, very fair mother was a full-blooded Jamaican. My mind was blown for weeks.

I don't know if British/UK slave trade...white-black race relations were ever as outlandish as the U.S. I do know that the slave trade ended decades if not a full century or two before the U.S. stopped.

Was her mother Caucasian? I know there are Caucasian Jamaicans and they have the accent and everything! or is she just a really fair skinned afro-carribean. The Islands have such diverse ethnicity as there is PLENTY of mixing going on. Beautiful people.

Caucasian, definitely. My friend's mum would suddenly just lapse into her natural accent and it was like some pasty white woman had swallowed Bob Marley.