HRM and calories

Options
Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice and an opinion poll.

If you go to the gym or do a work out, do you count the total time, and the cals burnt within that time. i.e if you go to the gym for 90 mins and for that 90 mins only 70 mins is spent working out, the other 10 is moving in between equipment etc, do you count it as 90 mins or 70?

thanks, dont want to over estimate my 700 cals I just burt off!

Shel

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I start my HRM when I begin exercising and stop it when my heart rate is back down to almost normal. I give myself a little cooling down time.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I could it all - the warmup, stretching, cool down, etc. My HR will slow when not actually working so I still think it is logical to use it since my HR is still elevated.

Hope that helps!
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I count everything within that time

a) its too much trouble to stop/start every time I move around and b) it will calculate your HR and calories according to your activity, so its not like its counting 90 mins of heartpumping activity and youre cheating it. Its counting 70 minutes of heartpumping activity and 20 mins of lower-rate activity so I would count it. All 90 minutes is at the gym.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I would count the whole time. Like diamonangel said, your heart rate is likely to still be up if you are just moving between machines. You burned those calories, take them!
  • dtraylor
    dtraylor Posts: 32
    Options
    I start counting every heartbeat as soon as I start warming up, till my heart rate gets close to normal. My watch stops counting calories after I drop below a certain level anyway. Many of my exercises I've defined with "recovery" tacked on like, running & recovery, running & circuits, dodgeball & recovery, etc. It's easier for me to just put in my total time and total calories rather than trying to break it up into predefined exercises.
  • frogface
    frogface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks guys, thats a great help!

Yay I have an extra 700 cals!! It was hard work too! :=)