At home strength training

Options
Hi all,

I would like to start doing a little strength training at home. I have very little equipment, and am not in a position to buy any more right now. Does anyone have a beginner routine they can recommend?

I am new to all this, so I'm not even sure what strength training is. I am assuming that squats, lunges and planks are all strength training? What about burpees? They look like cardio to me.

I have dumbbells 3, 5 and 8 lbs. I have weighted gloves, a yoga ball and mat and a light resistance band.

Thanks!

Replies

• flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ooh ooh, first time I feel confident enough to suggest something in this section :D

If you have no equipment then body weight training will be great. I am following the Beginners Programme on http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I do it 3x a week. I would dearly love to lift heavy etc but we are in dire straits financially and so this is my go-to; and I am already seeing the benefits! My legs in particular are getting very defined already. I'm sure other people will have some more ideas though too but hope that helps.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! :D
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/

scooby has tons of at home workouts, with lots of creative solutions. All he really uses are dumbbells as well
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ok so off topic but what does "bump" mean?
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Ooh ooh, first time I feel confident enough to suggest something in this section :D

If you have no equipment then body weight training will be great. I am following the Beginners Programme on http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I do it 3x a week. I would dearly love to lift heavy etc but we are in dire straits financially and so this is my go-to; and I am already seeing the benefits! My legs in particular are getting very defined already. I'm sure other people will have some more ideas though too but hope that helps.

I second this link!
    I do this 3-4 times a week.
    My workout days typically look like:
    1 minute High Knees
    3-4 sets of Circuit
    Additional minute of High Knees
    20-25 minutes Pilates or Ballet
    Stretches
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Take a look at "You Are Your Own Gym" :)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    There are some great workouts posted on Pinterest that use just your body weight. Yes, you can definitely do strength training with just your body. The Army and Marines Corps pretty much only use their body for training. During the 10 years I was in the Army I think I can count on my hands the number of times we used equipment to work out. A typical morning involved squats, lunges, regular pushups, situps, leg lifts, crunches, bicycles, mountain climbers, 8 count pushups, lots of stretching, and then a 3-5 mile run.

Usually on MWF we did fairly heavy strength training and a run for distance. On TTH we did heavy stretching, light strength workout and cardio interval training. This is a general rule of thumb, depended on all the rest of life looked like, too.

On a strength day we would spend 30 minutes on stretch/pushups/situps. Generally 8-10 minutes of stretching. Then we did as many of the various upper body, abdominal and leg exercises as the imaginative person leading the workout could dream up. Followed by a 25 minutes of running (3 miles, give or take) and a cool down and stretch. Typical morning, started at 6:30, finished at 7:30, give or take a bit.

Here's a description for the two least obvious ones.

8 count push-up - start in standing position, squat down, put hands on ground, thrust legs out to push-up position, execute two push-pus, hop feet back to under sthoulders, stand up. That counts as one push-up. :-)

Mountain climbers - start in the push-up position and pull one leg up until your foot is under your ankle and your knee is bent 90 degrees with your knee under your chest, then reverse so the other foot is in that position and your original foot is extended behind you. Do not move your upper body or hands while doing this. That is one mountain climber.

A regular Army push-up is actually two push-ups, that counts as executing the exercise once.

If you were to set up a circuit of 10 exercises, do 10 of each and repeat that 3 times ... that would be significant as a start. Once you can get through that, double it to 20 of each, repeat 3 times.

PS if you can't do a regular push-up, start out doing modified push-ups. On your knees, legs lifted up behind you, ankles crossed, arms slightly more than shoulder width apart ... now do the push-ups. Eventually you will reach the point where you can do some of them in the normal position. Do as many as you can normal, finish your reps modified. Never quit doing them.

PPS Chair dips! These things are monsters. Put a chair behind you, put your hands a bit more than shoulder width apart on the front edge of the chair, legs extended out in front of you so that your bottom will go up and down without touching the chair. Now lower yourself until you nearly touch the ground and your hips are at a 90 degree angle, then raise yourself back up until your arms are fully extended and elbows are straight. That's one.

That should be a good starting point :-)

one of my eventual goals is to be able to do this

peacock.jpg
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    ok so off topic but what does "bump" mean?
    People bump a thread so that it ends up in their "My Topics" list and they can come back to it later very easily
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gym

You're Welcome
  • KCGettinFit2014
    Options
    I highly recommend a smart phone app You Are Your Own Gym. I'm in the same position as you in regards to obtaining workout equipment, but have found this app to be great! It uses your own body for resistence. I am currently at the end of week three (have been for a few days due to the flu), and have seen a difference. It give individual exercises, routines based on the time you have available, and a 10 week program based on your fitness level. Its great!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-group/Full-Length-Workout-Videos/2l/

They have all kinds of workouts, including body weight.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred DVD only needs a set of hand weights (I use 3lb) and a floor mat. Check out reviews but it's a great workout.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You can perform the 7 primal movements without much, if any, equipment: push, pull, squat, bend, lunge, gait, and twist.

One routine, for example, could be push-ups, pull-ups, bodyweight squats, alternating wide-stance toe touches, walking lunges, and either walking, jogging, running, sprinting, or any combination thereof.

A person can never be good enough at our most basic human movements.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gregr072
    gregr072 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am another person happy with You are Your Own Gym.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred with 3lb dumbells.

Also - try the Kettlebell for beginners work out.

Both are available on Youtube.

Enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use YouTube ALOT for video ideas and guides. I started off investing in some dumbells myself. Lots of great body weight exercises out there though. Just google and YouTube away and you'll easily find a ton to create your own routine! good luck and best wishes!
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have used the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred series and the scooby web site.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Oh my, to be able to do that pose in Eric's post. :laugh: