Not losing weight - too much protein or sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Chances are good that your inaccurate logging is playing a part. Excess calories cause weight gain. It's either that or fluid.

See here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Log more accurately and measure/weigh everything for the next two weeks and if that doesn't solve anything I'd then look at your gross intake.
    Just want to reiterate this. Except in the case of problems such as PCOS or a thyroid problem, the most common (by far) reason you will not lose weight is inaccurate logging. A cheap food scale ($20) is a great tool and an eye opener to what an actual serving size is. Also, you said you are using a HRM, which is great for getting more accurate estimates of your calorie burns. My only advice on this is to make sure that the calorie burn it is showing is net, not gross calorie burn (i.e. the extra burned from exercise, not the total burned including your resting metabolism).

Your food choices look good to me. I don't think you need to make any changes to the types of foods you are eating. You do have a lot of instances in your diary where it looks like you are using approximations for items with no nutrition info, so my first gut instinct would be to be the foods you ate are higher in calories than what you thought.

I lost 50 lbs and have maintained the loss for over a year so far. I am regularly over on my protein, and 2-3 times over on my sugar everyday. It has had no effect weight loss. You could lose weight eating Twinkies and chips all day if you logged it, although you wouldn't be very satisfied or necessarily as healthy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

High sodium can cause water retention and water weight gain, but this would not hinder long term weight loss. BTW, I am also regularly over on my sodium as well. By a lot.
  • cfamigl1
    cfamigl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just ordered a food scale, so hopefully that will help.

To answer some questions, I was convinced I had a thyroid problem for a while, but had blood tests, and all looked fine. I went to an allergist who said I was reacting slightly to corn and soy, and I cut out gluten for a while and now when I do eat it (maybe twice a week) I get severely bloated. So I really need to avoid that. I had cut out alcohol during the week and no longer drink beer (I've been doing that for more than a year, I figured that alone would be 5-10 lbs). I drink 2 liters of water a day, 2 cups of coffee w/ skim or goat milk and no sugar, and green tea. I'll have 2 or 3 drinks on the weekends.

Basically, I just don't know how I can up my calories without upping sugar/sodium. The foods I eat everyday during the week are not generally high in sugar or sodium, they just tend to add up. (plain greek fage, hard boiled eggs, salad, etc.) And I usually cook dinner in the crock pot with fresh ingredients and don't add salt ( this is where I get the turkey meat, chicken, etc. for my lunch salads as well). Just not sure how to avoid the sugar and sodium.

***Diary Note -- I just changed the settings yesterday to accommodate my schedule (pre gym, post gym, midmorning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner), but it screwed up all of my past entries, saying that I was eating lunch at 8:30 a.m., etc. So pay no mind to the timing)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    not enough exercise i think.
  • cfamigl1
    cfamigl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also - my daily allowance of sugar is 25g. I've already went over that with just a plain fage greek yogurt, a small container of fresh blueberries and mango, and brussel sprouts. That doesn't seem right to me.
  • bananasd09
    bananasd09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Use http://www.fitnessfrog.com/ to estimate your BRM(calories burned at rest) & TDEE (Calories burned throughout the day). Make sure to eat the average amount between the two. My guess is you're not eating enough.
    Honestly I haven't lost much weight at all but my pants are fitting looser :happy: due to increased fuel(food) & using heavier weights. No more 1200 calorie days for me.
  • KaseyC0711
    Options
    I noticed that you didn't mention anything concerning weight lifting/strength training as part of your activities throughout the week.... Weight lifting is such a critical part of losing/maintaining weight. Although some are fearful of gaining weight or bulking while lifting, the female body can not "bulk" without using performance enhancing drugs... It's just not part of our DNA. Your diaries read pretty good, but you should definitely watch your sugars. Even when eating whole fruits. Limit your carb intake in the evening hours, and try not to eat them after 7pm if possible.

Check out Jamie Eason's Live Fit program on bodybuilding.com

I've never heard that too much protein will cause you to gain weight, but as with anything in life, moderation is key.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would just try eating more. MFP sets people so low, regardless. I'm 5'4" and started out at 220lb it gave me 1,200 a day. I recalculated at my current weight, 195,- 1,200 calories a day. I have friends on here who are 5'8" and 150lb - 1,200 calories a day.

I would look into eating TDEE - 20%, and add in some strength - even if it's on the machines. Take measurements for a month, stay off the scale for a full month, or only weigh every other week so you don't get discouraged.
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    You are going to use carbs first, fat second, protein third. Unless you are eating steak after steak, you aren't going to get too much protein. Fiber and protein is what fills you up.

If you are only consuming 400 calories though, your body is hanging onto what it has and is basically going into starvation mode. You need to eat at LEAST what you burn. I have been taking in a bit more than what I burn and losing. It also takes time.

Too much sugar is also a bad thing. Focus on the good and remember to be proud of what you've accomplished, not how far you may have to go. Good Luck!