Underweight, stomach fat

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy to change your body composition. The stomach is my problem area too, but since lifting and building more muscle / reducing body fat I've managed to weigh more but look completely different (leaner)
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, missing your period is generally caused by having too little body fat (and therefore too little estrogen, which you need to have a period), not by being underweight. If you're underweight but still have a normal or high body fat percentage, there is likely something else going on that's causing you to miss your period. I'd see a doctor.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Okay :( I've been told this quite a bit before but I'm really no good at it :( I can never make myself eat more because I feel guilty and I never have the energy to lift my kettlebell because I'm tired from work
    Chances are if you're tired from work it's because you're not eating enough. And if you're underweight and bloated like that I would say it's because you're not living a healthy lifestyle...Either be it food or exercise wise or both. You're not having your period, I suggest eating more and paying careful attention to macro and micro nutrients.

Also, when I was under weight I was pudgy in the gut too and I started lifting and squish be gone.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I hate to use the term but I'd say skinny/fat. You're underweight but have a high fat percentage because you've dieted to get a weight on the scale rather than build lean muscle mass.

How do you know she dieted for this weight? It could just be her body type. I find your response to be unproductive.

Because I took the time to look at her profile, I remember her from other postings and not sure why you think it's unproductive to tell someone the truth.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to a doctor. Going 6 months without a period, being overweight.. it is worrisome. (and you could be pregnant, if that's a possibility.)

You've gotta eat more. You should be eating at a surplus of your maintenance level to gain back some healthy weight. You shouldn't feel guilty for eating. If you feel guilty for eating when you're not hungry, you have to realize hunger comes in many forms, not just stomach growling - the fatigue you're feeling IS hunger. Add some protein shakes or something to your day, eat more healthy fats such as nuts. You'll start feeling the difference in the energy you have and you'll be able to fuel those workouts!

I haven't lost any weight since joining MFP (on a maintenance plan) (that I know of) but my waist has definitely gotten smaller since I've been working out and lifting heavy weights! If you're too tired to work out after work, get up earlier and work out before.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The missing period thing comes down to two options. You're pregnant or your not eating enough.

What?? No. Not true. There are many other possible explanations. See a gynecologist.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    grab a PT tonight and make sure it's not a baby bump. i know that sounds throw away, but it's not.

also, up your calories a bit and start heavy lifting. muscles eat more than fat. you'll look better and feel better. also, talk to your doc about losing your period. this can be indicitive of a LOT of things and s/he needs to know.

This is the first thing I thought actually to both of them.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Okay :( I've been told this quite a bit before but I'm really no good at it :( I can never make myself eat more because I feel guilty and I never have the energy to lift my kettlebell because I'm tired from work

Then get a kettleball that doesn't weight as much. Or start with light(er) hand weights.

But first, you really need to eat more.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you posted these same exact pictures a few months ago and received the same comments "You're skinny fat" "Lift heavy, eat more". It's been long enough that had you followed that advice you would've seen results.

very interesting.. I guess I would say is maybe stop asking for advice and start DOING something.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I hate to use the term but I'd say skinny/fat. You're underweight but have a high fat percentage because you've dieted to get a weight on the scale rather than build lean muscle mass.

How do you know she dieted for this weight? It could just be her body type. I find your response to be unproductive.

Because I took the time to look at her profile, I remember her from other postings and not sure why you think it's unproductive to tell someone the truth.
    I agree with mokey. I would not say thats unproductive. If anything I'd say it's heplful. I was in the same situation, and was told the same thing. And it was true.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I know you're afraid of upping the calories and lifting, but it really will help. You don't look like you have much muscle, so work on that. Gaining more muscle will also burn more calories and eventually you will get rid of that stubborn stomach fat. You may also want to try 30 Day Shred too, if you haven't already. You can't continue at a low calorie level if you're underweight, and starving will not help you lose the tummy. So stop being afraid, and raise your calories.

While you're doing that, can I suggest something? Maybe you need to stop worrying about this. I have seen that most of your posts are about your stomach, and I imagine it really bothers you. It's not the end of the world to have a bit of extra fat. It's not the end of the world if your weight goes up, which it WILL do when you start lifting and gaining muscle. Just stay positive, and work towards your goals. Stressing over it isn't making it any easier.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I think she posts them like once a month. With the same question.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Which means she's not getting the answer she wants, or she's looking for compliments. Here's a new one: Liposuction. But seriously, assuming you're not pregnant, that pooch is just a pocket of fat that won't leave until reduce your overall body fat percentage and strengthen your core.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Which means she's not getting the answer she wants, or she's looking for compliments. Here's a new one: Liposuction. But seriously, assuming you're not pregnant, that pooch is just a pocket of fat that won't leave until reduce your overall body fat percentage and strengthen your core.
    shes gotten lipo as an answer before too - she shot that down because shes 'too young and its expensive" and she wanted to do it the right way
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change -> guilt -> eat less -> no energy -> not work out -> belly doesn't change ...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have also seen her post this thread many times.

She is 5.5 and weighs 106. It seems likely that could be a reason she is not getting her period. Yes, she needs to see a doctor. And she does not need to lose weight.

I agree that the best thing for her would be to lift some weights and eat more. If she has a barrier for eating more, she should seek help from a psychologist that understands disordered eating.

Someone else suggested she is looking for compliments. That is not what she is doing.

This is my opinion.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    The missing period thing comes down to two options. You're pregnant or your not eating enough.

Uhm... or, not...
    I like it when dudes think they know about female stuff :laugh:
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lift weights...Yes, its that simple....food will give you more energy to lift and will feed your body, lifting will build muscle and burn fat.

I put on 15lbs this year, and the difference was amazing, and I'm not done.
    http://dakd0cjsv8wfa.cloudfront.net/images/photos/726/820/19726820_6538.jpg
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

What?? No. Not true. There are many other possible explanations. See a gynecologist.

THIS. There are all sorts of reasons.

Other than that, lift weights that are heavy for you, eat more food, and be patient.