calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I keep reading references to white privilege but haven't seen any about reverse discrimination. Yep, it exists!

Reverse discrimination does exist, yes, but being made to feel uncomfortable because you happen to be white is in no way the same as being abused, tortured, denied certain rights, etc. just because you happen to be black.

Note... reverse racism on the other hand, doesn't exist.

thanks.. and for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I keep reading references to white privilege but haven't seen any about reverse discrimination. Yep, it exists!

Reverse discrimination does exist, yes, but being made to feel uncomfortable because you happen to be white is in no way the same as being abused, tortured, denied certain rights, etc. just because you happen to be black.

"Being made to feel uncomfortable?" Um, how about not getting a job when you are the most qualified because the need to fill a minority hire quota?

And racism is racism, and it most certainly can be directed at white people.

The oppressed can't oppress the oppressor. Google "why reverse racism doesn't exist", you'll find some interesting stuff.

By the way, the job situation you described was discrimination, not racism. There's a big difference!
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My son asked me, mommy you are black and daddy is white. What am I? I said you are perfect because you are both black and white and wonderful. My kids are my kids and I really hope they don't spend time worrying about what they are. Because no one who knows or love them does.

What an amazing answer mom :)
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am an american mutt. when any paper work asks for my Race, my answer is HUMAN.

That is a species not a race. :noway:

Actually it's a genus, not a species.

Homo = human

Homo sapiens = humans with (usually) pointy chins, (mostly) vertical foreheads, dome shaped craniums, relatively gracile build and approx 1350cc cranial capacity (on average)

No. Homo is the Genus
    Human
    Primate
    Humans are primates of the family Hominidae, and the only extant species of the genus Homo. Humans are characterized by having a large brain relative to body size, with a particularly well developed ... Wikipedia
    Scientific name: Homo sapiens
    Higher classification: Homo

Google is your friend.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I am an american mutt. when any paper work asks for my Race, my answer is HUMAN.

Homo = human

Homo sapiens = humans with (usually) pointy chins, (mostly) vertical foreheads, dome shaped craniums, relatively gracile build and approx 1350cc cranial capacity (on average)

No. Homo is the Genus

Humans (Homo sapiens) are primates of the family Hominidae, and the only extant species of the genus Homo

Human
    Primate
    Humans are primates of the family Hominidae, and the only extant species of the genus Homo. Humans are characterized by having a large brain relative to body size, with a particularly well developed ... Wikipedia

Yes, Homo is the genus

Genus of humans

Homo habilis = human (the earliest known species of human)

Homo erectus = also human

etc

Wikipedia is not the best source of information. The lecturers at my university where I studied palaeoanthropology were much better sources.

It's a common misunderstanding that human only refers to Homo sapiens. It doesn't, it refers to everything in the genus Homo.

My degree in Human Sciences including several modules in palaeoanthropology is my friend. Google is a false friend sometimes.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

"Being made to feel uncomfortable?" Um, how about not getting a job when you are the most qualified because the need to fill a minority hire quota?

And racism is racism, and it most certainly can be directed at white people.

Sooooo an under-priviledged, disenfranchised or otherwise subjugated people don't happen to fit your heritage/background.. must be REALLY TOUGH!!!
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    One drop rule - Sounds like an American topic which is completely foreign to me - one drop rule ? sounds like golf or something.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have never liked the "one-drop" rule. It is kinda silly if you ask me. For instance, how the heck is Barack Obama considered "black", when he is half-white, was raised by his white folks, and only met his black father once in his life? In a larger context though, I just don't know why we have to "classify" people like that anyway. Hopefully those classifications fade with time. It has for some (ie: Italians), but not others (ie: blacks). Time will tell.

He's considered black so they could make a big stinking deal about him being the "First Black President".. which again.. why does it matter? As a (mostly) white man, that's not the reason I voted for him at all.

I'm mostly white european but I do have some native american in my bloodline. Although like someone mentioned for the government forms.. since I am of "Non-Hispanic" origins I am "Caucasian".... Just your average white guy with a mix about about 6 different European backgrounds and native North American.. I'm about as "Early colonial american" as it gets. LOL
  • Nita_Bita
    Nita_Bita Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I classify myself as biracial.
    Mother is white, father is black.
    I was raised by the white side of my family. I'm attracted to and engaged to a black man. I think the "one-drop rule" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Everyone is mixed with something somewhere in their family tree. How people act based on what they are mixed with, is the real problem.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Homo = human

No. Homo is the Genus

Humans (Homo sapiens) are primates of the family Hominidae, and the only extant species of the genus Homo

Human
    Primate

Yes, Homo is the genus

Genus of humans

etc

Wikipedia is not the best source of information. The lecturers at my university where I studied palaeoanthropology were much better sources.

It's a common misunderstanding that human only refers to Homo sapiens. It doesn't, it refers to everything in the genus Homo.

My degree in Human Sciences including several modules in palaeoanthropology is my friend. Google is a false friend sometimes.

Homo sapiens sapiens. We humans are so full of ourselves we had make sure we pointed out how wise and sensible we were twice!

And to my fellow whities saying there is no white priviledge and reverse discrimation is some sort of rampant epidemic..we need to keep our mouth shut and listen. No white person can understand this until he/she learns to turn off the internal thoughts and actually listen.

One white prividlege very much exists. We could devote pages and pages of post. Basically there will never be a point in your life when you have to think about your race and does someone see me as a human or as a race.

Second, I've never been turned down for a job because of my race. I compete with "minorities," but I get the job because I have the skills and I do great in an interview. I've been accepted into minority only scholarships because of my ability! I often think those white people crying about not getting the job were turned down because they were socially inept or do a bad interview. Yes there are quotas I wont deny that, but if your skill set it good, you are knowlegeable, friendly, and confident you will never be turned down for a job.

As long as there are homo sapien sapiens floating around there will always be bigotry, intolerance, and some kind of "ism.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm half white, half Mexican. Every one assumes I'm white, because I look white. When I fill out papers and I'm asked for my ethnicity, my mom (who is Mexican) always makes me put 'cacasian'. I JUST WANT TO BE HISPANIC!!! :sad:

In all seriousness, if you are 'part' black. You are black... PLUS whatever else you are.

I'm attracted to everyone... :laugh:

I am half white and half Mexican as well...when people hear me on the phone and thne meet me in person(@ work) they tell me they thought I was latina but I look white. I just laugh...it gets old. How do I sound latina?
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Does the one drop rule apply to other races as well? If so, you are looking a a Native American...a memeber of the Lac Courte Orielles Band of Chippewa. And I am by tribal membership. When I was in college, I fully identified as such. And they identified me as a wannabe. Why...because I was raised in a completely whitebread town in Wisconsin, nowhere near the rez. Yeah. I finally came to terms with the fact that I am a white girl. That's just the way it is for me.

According to my 100 percent Navajo sister in law, you would be considered an Apple. Red skin, but white through and through. She was considered an Apple until she moved back on to the rez. With my bro and his son from 1st marriage, both toe heads. Yes reverse discrimenation does exist.

I can't be an Apple because my skin is white, not red. I am 1/32nd like Elizabeth Warren...except I actually have a tribal membership. Prior to 1969, you only had to be able to trace your lineage. Now you must have 25% blood quantem. And that is a whole different mess about blood. Why is it that it only takes "one drop" to make one African American, but it takes 25% to be Native American. It doesn't make sense. And it never did.

No, back in the day, I wasn't an Apple, I was a wannabe. A lot of us white girls were back in the Dances With Wolves days. Now I am a gladforwhoIam! :-D
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Homo = human

No. Homo is the Genus

Human
    Primate

Yes, Homo is the genus

Genus of humans

etc

Homo sapiens sapiens. We humans are so full of ourselves we had make sure we pointed out how wise and sensible we were twice!

a very ironically named species (and subspecies)....!!!

actually nearly all the species of humans have stupid names. I feel so, so, so, so, so sorry for poor Homo erectus :( whatever did they do to deserve a name like erectus....

re white privilege... it even exists in the Arab world, from Arabs, i.e. they treat white people better than non-white people even though they're technically non-white (although some of them have very pale skins and there's no scientific validity to terms like "race" and "white" but as people use them to discriminate, this kind of racism exists, sadly :( )
  • peachfigs
    Options

actually nearly all the species of humans have stupid names. I feel so, so, so, so, so sorry for poor Homo erectus :( whatever did they do to deserve a name like erectus....

:laugh: Stand up straight, apparently...
  • neandermagnon
    Options

except that australopithecines and their ancestors were walking fully upright at least a couple of million years before homo erectus evolved.... it was all because they put together neanderthal skeletons wrong and thought they didn't walk upright... so couldn't figure out how the earlier species did so they named them Homo erectus.... you'd think they'd put that right now that they realised that Homo erectus wasn't the first to walk upright (and also realised that neanderthals did too)....
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Everyone is mixed if you look at it in a certain way.

^I like what this person said ^
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My gandparents were as follows: Irish, Married to a 2nd gen German, Welsh Scot married to an Englishman.

So; you can blame all the atrocities directly on me, it seems....:tongue:
  • peachfigs
    Options

except that australopithecines and their ancestors were walking fully upright at least a couple of million years before homo erectus evolved.... it was all because they put together neanderthal skeletons wrong and thought they didn't walk upright... so couldn't figure out how the earlier species did so they named them Homo erectus.... you'd think they'd put that right now that they realised that Homo erectus wasn't the first to walk upright (and also realised that neanderthals did too)....

:love: I love paleoanthropology geeks!!
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    So in the USA if you are "black" are you considered "African American". What if you were a native Australian or had an Australian heritage ?
  • neandermagnon
    Options

:love: I love paleoanthropology geeks!!

well you'll love me then :flowerforyou: