Daughter with Alphabetaphobia and Won't Eat

Options

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Take her to a medical professional and unless they encourage you to give into this way of eating, don't. If she is hungry enough, she will eat.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    WOW - My house - my son - he wouldn't have ate!! Deal with it - get hungry, he'll eat!! Giving in can create HUGE issues later!

tough love. I like it. :)
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Give foods different names. I'd grind vegetables in ground beef and make meatloaf and call it Nettlecake or something like that..that way she gets her veggies.

Aye this
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    how about you cook dinner put it in front of her if she eats great if not guess she will have to wait till the next meal. if she is smart she will learn real quick, you eat what i put in front of you or you go hungry. i promise she wont starve and no you may not give her any snacks in between.
  • Pinkkfrost
    Pinkkfrost Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    'That's not broccoli - it's woccoli.That means you can eat it.'

this ^^

used to do that to a cousin who thought he was allergic to apples..lemons...meat... gluten (he wasnt) , dairy, a few other things ...

"Yeah, robby, dont worry.. thats gluten free, vegan pizza," and hed eat it and not die... so...

Yes....My daughter still proclaims allergies to fruits she hates. Strawberries mainly. I call her out on it every chance I get. She tries to write it on school forms and everything.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    She's going to be lots of fun when she isn't 5 anymore & still running the show.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Have you tried renaming the foods with her? Or perhaps finding out the names of foods in different languages?

I was thinking this... use the Latin Names or something.

And I might be able to live off of Zucchini bread.....
  • SophieA9083
    Options
    Nuts, nut butter
    Navy beans, Northern beans
    Nutella
    Nectarine
    Noodles
    Navel oranges
    NY cheese cake
    Nachos

Quark
    Quinoa
    Queso fresco
    Quesadilla
    Quiche

Udi's Bread
    Udon noodles
    Upside Down Cake

Whole Wheat Bread, buns
    Whole Grain pasta, cereal
    Watermelon
    Wasa crackers

Yogurt
    Yellow Squash
    Yellow Rice
    Yams
    Yolk
    This is very good, try cooking with her and calling it her name surprise or something! find out their name in other languages are fun, or make a game and blind fold her and get her to taste test, apparently you have to try a food 8 times before your mind and body decide it is not poisonous! Relabelling foods could work, you could come up with quirky names for everything!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    my middle was very picky at 3. The nurses kept saying he'd eventually eat when he got hungry.
    So I finally gave in to this 'let them starve- they will eat eventually"

I finally gave in to feeding him something he'd eat on day3. It felt like child abuse after 2.5 days for a 3 yr old.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Use creative wordstorename food
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    WOW - My house - my son - he wouldn't have ate!! Deal with it - get hungry, he'll eat!! Giving in can create HUGE issues later!

tough love. I like it. :)

I hate to be such a party pooper too. It is incredibly cute that she knows her alphabet so well.
    But . . .
    No kid ever starved to death with food around. Explain to her why her stance is unpractical and unfair to the people trying to provide her food. Then, serve what you want/make and, if she doesn't want to eat it, she obviously is not that hungry.
    Kids actually don't eat that much, left to their own devices. They eat one good meal a day, maybe, and a few very small meals or snacks. That's it.
  • vanderlogt17
    Options
    There's been a lot of posts above about the daughter getting "over it" and about lying to her. I'm no professional, but I do know what its like to have a mental illness. You don't just get over it. Lying to her will be harmful when she needs someone to trust. Just because YOU haven't faced a debilitating illness doesn't mean that people don't suffer from them every day. I say, talk to a doctor and ask for help. Its great to get more food suggestions here, and I respect those who have done so seriously. To those who made jokes- you should be ashamed of yourself and consider the meaning of compassion. Just because you don't understand doesn't give you the right to judge.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If this is actually not a joke, the kid must be smart. I'm not sure my 30 yr old son can spell half the food he eats!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    'That's not broccoli - it's woccoli.That means you can eat it.'

^^YES!! Get creative and make up your own names for them.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So many people, so little getting it...
  • got2bu
    got2bu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everybody stating their opinion as fact that "kids won't starve themselves " need to post their facts.

Children faced with mental, emotional and or physical issues will indeed starve themselves. Children just like adults can have disordered eating.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Huh??? Are you the parent??? Its food eat it or starve.... Trust me she will

This.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your daughters condition. Given the rather overwhelming list of food items she fears, I would recommend you have her create an MFP account and post in the forums. She'll fit right in.

So true, lol.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Tell her when she gets a job and buys the food, she gets to make demands as to how it's going to be. Until then, she eats what you buy her because she's 5 and has zero clue about nutrition.
  • ColieCanDo
    ColieCanDo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Serious answer: If it gets too bad invest time in making fake labels for foods and putting them on the cans? Also get her some therapy, fast. This is very unusual, a therapist will have some very good ideas to assist you.