What worked for you??

Options

Replies

• leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Making sure I had the eating part down before starting to work out. too much too fast makes me overwhelmed
  • carfamily08
    carfamily08 Posts: 179
    Options
    MFP and finding the information about eating at a cut of my TDEE, staying active each day (even a 20 minute "mile" walk), not cutting out any foods but eating everything in moderation, and the support of friends!
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    While I've only been working at this for 5 weeks I have had some success and so far the things that I have been working for me include:
    1) Tracking the food I eat daily and staying within my calorie range
    2) Never telling myself a certain food is off limits. If I want a Blizzard from DQ for example I plan it out and try to eat better the rest of the day. I also researched which Blizzards were the "best" for me
    3) Never beating myself up for going over my calories for the day. This is easy to do and it won't hurt you if you do it occasionally. The problem is when it becomes habit.
    4) Working out each day. Now this does not mean I go at it hard every single day - I do 3-4 days of more intense working out with lighter days mixed in. For me taking off a day completely disrupts my momentum. For example this upcoming week I have one day I know I won't have the time to do a DVD so I hope the weather cooperates and I can go for a walk around my cousins neighborhood and if that doesn't work I'll run her stairs several times.
    5) Surrounding myself with supportive people who care that I'm trying to become healthier
    6) Reminding myself that I can do anything I set my mind to

Good luck with your journey!

37422413.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    #1 tip I can think of is don't try to out-exercise a bad diet. I'm not talking what foods you choose to eat because I've gone the route of 'if it fits for the day, I'll eat it", I'm specifically talking quantity. It's way too easy to eat or drink an extra 1000 calories without even thinking about it. Thinking I'll burn it off later at the gym doesn't work. So, like somebody above me said, fix your diet. Find a good calorie target that you can stick with (which may mean setting your goal to lose 1 pound a week rather than 2) and log every bite, especially at the beginning. For exercise, find activities you like, work at your own pace, and keep challenging yourself in every workout. That will make your deficit larger or give you extra to eat, if you choose. More importantly, it will get you FIT while you lose weight.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am still work in progress. But so far this is what has worked for me:-
    - being committed 100%
    - logging food on MFP
    - pretty much eating the same things to start with and then changing foods now and then for a bit of variety
    - having a few treats in the house for me, like weight watchers hot chocolate, ww bars, jelly, yoghurt, cookies etc, oh and ice blocks
    - exercise which started off as walking and then I started the C25K and finished it. Not I run 30 mins everyday. Often I take the dog for a walk as well and I throw in the odd swim and occasional bike ride
    -sorting out my clothes by getting rid of my size 10s and keeping the size 12s. Everything that didn't fit I put at the top of my wardrobe and would try on now and then. Now there is only about 4 things that don't quite fit. It started off being a huge pile
    -generally not eating exercise calories
    -my fitbit keeps me motivated

Thats all I can think of really. So basically MFP (sticking to calorie goal), and EXERCISE
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    removing all gluten out of my diet, replace with lean meats, veggies, healthy grains (quinoa)
    portion control, I was eating 3x at a meal than I should have
    lots of water
    strength training....

with those I have lost over 65lbs in about 16 months.

and now recently is food logging. It has kicked things into high gear...
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal!

Also, I try to adhere to the philosophy of not eating your calories. If I do, I am aware of it. It is easy to drink thousands of calories in a day.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Writing down everything and doing low impact exercising with Weight Watchers. I don't believe in the 20% below TDEE because it doesn't at all work for me but I have had great success with Weight Watchers old points system and have finally lost weight and I do it all for free. The main thing is to write down everything and keep track and eat back your exercise calories if you are hungry. I know lots of people who have reached their goals eating 1200 to 1400 calories and then upping those calories with more exercise and also the closer you get to maintenance.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    The big thing that worked for me was not cutting anything out of my diet. I ate whatever I want, just smaller portions. Yes, this includes stuff like potato chips, fast food, pizza, ice cream, and plenty of other "bad" food. If I wanted something, I ate it. If I went over on calories I didn't beat myself up over it. Maybe I worked a little longer at the gym the next day.

I also did a half-*kitten* workout at the gym involving a mix of cardio, dumbbells, and machines. A buddy and I recently started StrongLifts and we really like it. I love tracking my progress and having a lifting buddy helps with the accountability aspect of it. I was a big proponent of going to the gym solo but having a buddy there is really nice....even though we don't socialize all that much while we're there.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I am the kind who goes from in shape to fat and back again over and over. So this time around. . .

MFP diary worked for me and so do the forums. I have learned so much here. It can get disheartening when people want to fight and troll, but I have learned to weed through all that and have found a few really good people who are actually here to give good sound advice. I am very grateful. Posts like yours helps too. Love hearing experiences, those are as useful as the professional advice found here.

In the past here is what has worked for me. . .

Cutting sugar worked for me too.

As did increasing walking constantly. I would fit it in several times a day even if it was just 5 or ten minutes in between clients at work.

When I began heavy lifting that worked too.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    double post
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    p90x strength workouts, and running
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    1. Small deficit (2000 calories), and eating anything I want if it fits in my macros
    2. Lifting weights, moderately heavy in the 8-15 rep range
    3. Cardio, so I feel good and can eat more...
    4. Not beating myself up when I F^&K it all up sometimes

...repeat and repeat and repeat...

^^^^^THIS, IN SPADES^^^^^^
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    What works for me is large amounts of cardio, some strength training 4 x per week, and logging everything on MFP. I stay motivated when I get to "shop" in my closet for clothing. My husband thinks I'm slightly dotty, but he'll find me in my closet trying on things I haven't worn in years. I have about 50 pairs of jeans in sizes all the way down to 14. I gave away the 22's, the 20's and am currently comfortably in 18's. I also gave away the 24's I had to buy in November. Those jeans were one of my aha moments.

The other was being so dreadfully uncomfortable in my seat at The Nutcracker in December. I have season tickets, and it's five weeks until Swan Lake. At this point I'm down 40 pounds from then, and I hope to be down almost another 10 by then. I can't wait to see how much more comfortable I am at that performance. The woman in the seat next to me was probably twice my size. I felt worse for her than for myself.
  • NurseJenn78
    NurseJenn78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing!! Thank you for sharing!
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    logging EVERYTHING.

Definately this!
  • BobbyJo28
    BobbyJo28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started a 1 1/2 on my weight loss with Herbalife products and recently used MFP, Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and now I'm onto Insanity.
  • xcarinarx
    xcarinarx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Planning really helped me. I put all the meals I am expecting to eat in a week into my diary at the start. There's always room for flexibility but it just helps me make sure, for the most part, that I stay within my calorie limit.

Exercise-wise, I have found running has really helped me. I hated running until very recently but I decided that I really needed to start putting the effort in. I now love running and this morning completed my first ten miler ever. I found it helped me lose the little bit of weight I had left to lose, as well as helped majorly tone in a way I never thought it would.

Ax

this has helped me too stay on track- planning all the way!!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bump!! I need all the help I can get!!!
  • jjones9298
    Options
    Running, Cycling, Team Beachbody programs and most of all shakeology! Consistency is the key to success...the small changes and steps you take on a consistent basis, everyday will compound to larger rewards later...stay the course and don't give up! Find others that share your passion, get a great playlist and make the time for you :)

Julie
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!