calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• elleynn
    elleynn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So in the USA if you are "black" are you considered "African American". What if you were a native Australian or had an Australian heritage ?

you'd just be an american...unless you were visibly non-white :)
    typically, you only fall into the realm of "hyphenated american" when you're non-white. so, i am considered african(-)american despite being neither born here nor naturalized. shenanigans!

it's a very ineffectual and horribly simplistic form of societal taxonomy. very dodgy. color coding's only function is to cause confusion and likely embarrass whomever is unfortunate enough to utilize it.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am a homo sapien and see no reason for further bifurcation.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I keep reading references to white privilege but haven't seen any about reverse discrimination. Yep, it exists!

Reverse discrimination does exist, yes, but being made to feel uncomfortable because you happen to be white is in no way the same as being abused, tortured, denied certain rights, etc. just because you happen to be black.

Note... reverse racism on the other hand, doesn't exist.

"Being made to feel uncomfortable?" Um, how about not getting a job when you are the most qualified because the need to fill a minority hire quota?

And racism is racism, and it most certainly can be directed at white people.

The oppressed can't oppress the oppressor. Google "why reverse racism doesn't exist", you'll find some interesting stuff.

By the way, the job situation you described was discrimination, not racism. There's a big difference!

I know exactly what the job situation was, as it was my intention to give you an example of reverse discrimination. No where in my response did I suggest it was racism. I thought it was pretty clear I was making two separate points.
  • InnerConflict
    Options
    I keep reading references to white privilege but haven't seen any about reverse discrimination. Yep, it exists!

Reverse discrimination does exist, yes, but being made to feel uncomfortable because you happen to be white is in no way the same as being abused, tortured, denied certain rights, etc. just because you happen to be black.

"Being made to feel uncomfortable?" Um, how about not getting a job when you are the most qualified because the need to fill a minority hire quota?

Sooooo an under-priviledged, disenfranchised or otherwise subjugated people don't happen to fit your heritage/background.. must be REALLY TOUGH!!!

Why would you presume anything about my heritage, which just happens to include Native American.

insert-foot-in-mouth.png
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    according to my family I am 100% pain in the butt. *LOL*

but seriously...
    I am 1/2 welsh, 1/4 english, 1/4 maltese... grew up in Bermuda where I was always one of the very few 'white' kids in my classes.

I would say my heritage may explain my mannerisms *LOL*... man can I ever hold a grudge, never stop talking, and lets not talk about temper!!!

That all being said, my sister (see 'Familiar' in this thread, :)..) had a different father than I did, and as a result could claim to be 'mixed' if she wanted to (black grandmother or great grandmother, we are not sure which *L* all we know is her name was 'Otto' - therein lies a whole other discussion, about gender specific names).

Fact is.. neither of us grew up really thinking much about ethnic ( as it relates to 'colour') differences, in anyone.
    Odd really, considering our mum had some real self-proclaimed prejudices sadly.

The bottom line though... is that I was always a lil jealous of my sister in my warped lil mind, (hey, warped can be good!), I actually was jealous of that mixing! It's beautifully exotic! I used to often wish I was more ethnically mixed! - Kids are funny huh? :)

I can't wait for the day for us all to be more like Klingons... yes *nodding* that is a geeky star trek reference.. because seriously, when you look at a klingon do you ever think 'that klingon is white'? or 'that one is black'? Nope.... all you see is some folks, of varying shades, with some serious attitudes and heavy duty forehead ridging!

We now return you to our regular programming, (and I am predicting that anytime now my sister will disown me *LOL*)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    So in the USA if you are "black" are you considered "African American". What if you were a native Australian or had an Australian heritage ?

you'd just be an american...unless you were visibly non-white :)
    typically, you only fall into the realm of "hyphenated american" when you're non-white. so, i am considered african(-)american despite being neither born here nor naturalized. shenanigans!

it's a very ineffectual and horribly simplistic form of societal taxonomy. very dodgy. color coding's only function is to cause confusion and likely embarrass whomever is unfortunate enough to utilize it.
    omg i never realized that before!
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    im part awesome, so i consider myself fully awesome.

Haha! Heck ya!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Everyone is mixed if you look at it in a certain way.

^I like what this person said ^
    true, but america is obsessed with labels
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Everyone is mixed if you look at it in a certain way.

^I like what this person said ^
    true, but america is obsessed with labels

Thanks for explaining the ``African American`` definition. OMG, for a nation that embraces equality The USA certainly seems obsessed with lables. Is there anyone there that can say ``I`m American`` without all the qualifiers
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

The oppressed can't oppress the oppressor. Google "why reverse racism doesn't exist", you'll find some interesting stuff.

By the way, the job situation you described was discrimination, not racism. There's a big difference!

I know exactly what the job situation was, as it was my intention to give you an example of reverse discrimination. No where in my response did I suggest it was racism. I thought it was pretty clear I was making two separate points.

You mentioned that racism can be directed at white people, therefore making a case for reverse racism, which doesn't exist.
  • InnerConflict
    Options

You mentioned that racism can be directed at white people, therefore making a case for reverse racism, which doesn't exist.

Yes, but that comment had nothing to do with the job situation, which was an example of reverse discrimination.

As for racism, I do not share your opinion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Racism is a bias that can be physiologically identified in the brain. That bias spawns from past experiences and/or lessons taught in childhood. Culturally, if a child is raised to hate a specific race, whether that child is being taught to oppress or hate oppressors, that bias is still programmed into the brain. Likewise, a truly negative and traumatizing experience with oppression can result in hatred. Racism can work in any direction. The rationale for the hatred does not make the hatred justifiable.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Why must people continue to divide by color or race. We are one race... HUMAN!!!!!
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Let me guess Innerconflict.. Cherokee right? :P If you had used your heritage on the application you would have been a minority.. you must be ashamed of that? Don't look brown... or are not enrolled as a tribal member. The issue was that YOU were not a minority so YOU didn't get a job you were qualified for? lame excuse buddy
  • InnerConflict
    Options
    Let me guess Innerconflict.. Cherokee right? :P If you had used your heritage on the application you would have been a minority.. you must be ashamed of that? Don't look brown... or are not enrolled as a tribal member. The issue was that YOU were not a minority so YOU didn't get a job you were qualified for? lame excuse buddy

You sure are full of assumptions. The example I provided did not involve a job that I applied for. Honestly, I did not think my example needed futher detail to be valid, but I will enlighten you anyway.

I managed a department for a Fortune 500 company and was responsible for hiring within that department. On SEVERAL occasions, I was not permitted to hire a more qualified white male because upper management wanted to increase their minority hire rate.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    after watching a few documentaries I thought I'd post a thread.

How do mixed people feel about the one drop rule? and by mixed I mostly mean with some sort of African decent
    Do you consider yourself black, white mixed?

Being mixed what are you more attracted too? and what/who is attracted to you?

this thread isn't meant to stir anyone up... I myself am of a diverse background.

I don't even know where to begin...

1) Everyone is "mixed", whether you're counting drops or not. I also had never heard of this "one drop" rule and it seems pretty racist. I'm about 1/8th Mexican, but other people don't call me Mexican. They usually think I'm Irish because of my last name, even though that is also only a tiny percentage of my overall heritage. I am about as "mixed" as you can get.

2) If you're not looking past ethnicity and skin color to find who you're attracted to, I'm sorry, but you're shallow. It's no better than saying you prefer redheads, skinny guys, green eyes, etc. It's all surface stuff. Why should it matter? Yes, when I glance at someone I make a snap judgement of their appearance, but if I get to know that person, their appearance is secondary by a large margin to their personality. I have had my snap-judgements repealed instantly the second a pretty (or ugly) person opens their mouth.

3) Can someone please explain to me why these threads keep getting posted?? I am honestly curious as to why everyone seems to be so curious about racial differences...

I find nothing offensive about this question. The one-drop rule still is in effect even if it's absurd. I know several biracial people who are half-black. They all identify as black because it's easier and non blacks perceive and treat them as black. There are exceptions, but I'd have to say that the majority of the biracial men I know are not interested in black women, especially if they (the guys) are successful. It's unpleasant, but another legacy of external and internalized racism.

The only way to work at changing ugly realities is to discuss them.
  • elleynn
    elleynn Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I find nothing offensive about this question. The one-drop rule still is in effect even if it's absurd. I know several biracial people who are half-black. They all identify as black because it's easier and non blacks perceive and treat them as black. There are exceptions, but I'd have to say that the majority of the biracial men I know are not interested in black women, especially if they (the guys) are successful. It's unpleasant, but another legacy of external and internalized racism.

The only way to work at changing ugly realities is to discuss them.

This will be super tl;dr...just saying.

That thing about biracial men not being interested in black women is...somewhat true.

There is the belief that black American women are rowdy, unmanageable and a little rogue. This may be true, but it is also true for women belonging to other ethnic and racial groups. That negative stereotype is overexposed (imo) so most men tend to approach black women with a more than advisable level of caution.

I'm a non-American black and I've noticed the way I'm received is markedly different from the way my American contemporaries are received. I've sorta-kinda dated two biracial men, one who was half Russian and another who was half English. Both, even in my company, always swore they would never date black women. What they meant is they would never date a black woman who behaved in a certain way. I've had great luck with men of almost all races (except Asians, who are still considerably homogeneous) but again, my black American friends, not so much.

I have noticed something. American men (especially white men) use certain 'markers' to decide whether or not they're swimming in the right pool. For example, a few I can name right off are: diction, dress and interests. I'll needlessly explain two, because I can and because this has me using my brain.

I've noticed when approaching non-black males I'm more likely to succeed with my bumbled attempts at seduction than a black female employing say, stereotypical 'black' vernacular. Even if she's prettier than me. It's like some blinding haze that just puts some men off. Same with dress. I've been at events in my jeans and modest shirt and made it much further than someone emblazoned in King Solomon's riches, especially in a style that emulates contemporary black culture.

Explablahblahations. You get my point.

It might seem trivial (and maybe even trite, coming from me) but I think the bigger issue is the association of blacks with certain kinds of (negative) behavior. I don't think people are inherently racist, but they like...expect...bad things? Some have even had a bad experience or two. So yeah, they reach conclusions about an entire group of people and then make decisions based on those conclusions.

But back on topic: yeah, all my multiracial/biracial male friends who're some portion black aggressively navigate away from black (American) women. As some kind of tie in to all this ****ery black Americans approach me the least out of the big three racial groups (white, latino, black). Again, I think it's all about the weird dynamics that go on in race relations and expectations and perceptions de blabbity blabbity.

*I use the term black American to address the 'indigenous' population of blacks that have been here as long as their white and latino compatriots. I exclude first and second generation blacks who've migrated from other countries because unless they assimilate 100% they're stuck out in the badlands, like me.

I also use it as an inclusive term for those who prescribe to mainstream black culture. I know, I know, very convoluted but it's the best I can do.
  • dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options

What is this white privilege you speak of???? They forgot to tell me about this!!!!!! I have been missing out on all my privileges!

One of the best perks of White Privelege is not being aware of its existence.

Lol!!! I'm not saying this doesnt exist on some level, but to think that every white person has recieved priviliges just for being white is rediculous. From what I have seen, your economic status matters much more than your race when it comes to these priviliges you speak of.
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    I am roughly 1/3 Native American, and I consider myself both because ... well, I am. Why deny any part of your heritage?
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm biracial. Period. I refuse to "chose" one half of myself over the other.

That said: do most non-black people consider me black? Yes.
    Do black people consider me black? Not usually.

As Obama goes...it seems to be the same thing. You have a bunch of non black people calling him black...and black people trying to take away his right to the label. It's ALL bs if you ask me.