Eat more? This is scary.

64GT
64GT Posts: 22 Member
I have been at about 1600 calories per day since October and lost about 18 pounds. Exercising (aerobic - mostly elliptical) at least 3 days per week between 30 and 45 minutes per session. I kind of plateaued and decided to switch it up to a 5x5 stronglifts program. Feeling hungry a lot... (I never "eat back" my calories) so I did a lot of reading today and it seems like my base calories at current weight are around 2600 and when I reach my goal will be more like 2300. So... I decided to increase my daily calories to 2200 or so. It's scary! I feel like it will be a setup to GAIN weight and I really don't want that. I have read a gazillion articles, posts, etc., that tell me I'm just not eating enough and if I eat more my weight loss will improve. Just seems strange!!!

Replies

• i feel your pain. I just started eating back my calories and it feels so wrong on so many levels. I am only on day 3 of eating the proper amount (net 1400). I am going to check the scale in a couple of weeks and see what the results are. When they weight no longer comes off something has to change. Good luck.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    what is the 5x5 program may I ask?
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    what is the 5x5 program may I ask?

Stronglifts
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Just remember to stick with AT MINIMUM a month before reassessing because you will see a gain from water, LBM, etc. Give your body time to readjust before changing anything.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    You could up it slowly, 100 or so calories a week, so you don't feel like you're diving in the deep end.

Good luck! Hope you find you feel better :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    It can seem scary, but it's true. You need to eat enough to get the balanced nutrients you need, to allow your muscles to efficiently rebuild after workouts, and to keep your metabolism running at a high level. Eat back those calories, maybe at 70% for a while if you're worried. Good luck! (Except on the field!)
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I've upped my calories to 1700 and am slightly terrified that my TDEE is wrong, that I'm overestimating the amount I'm exercising, that my activity level is wrong, etc because I don't want to undo what I've just spent a lot of time and effort on losing. I also don't want to be stuck at 1400 calories for the rest of my life, terrified of gaining either. In an effort to save my sanity I've taken the batteries out of my scale and hidden it lol. It seems to work for a lot of people and I hope that it works for you (and me), too! Good luck!
  • 64GT
    Good luck! (Except on the field!)

LOL!
  • 64GT
    I have a friend who has battled more serious weight issues for a long time and has seen and tried a lot of things. He tells me to weigh myself once a month. I just weigh myself every day and if it goes up, I just flip off the scale. If it stays the same or goes down I run to the iPhone and update my progress here on myfitnesspal.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I am ravenous on lifting days. It's kind of funny that MFP gives me a much higher calorie allowance on cardio days than on lifting days--I suspect I need it more on the latter. But whatevs, more to the point of your post: do not fear food if you are lifting weights! Seasoned lifters eat a lot of food, especially protein-rich stuff.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    I definitely feel you. I went and had metabolic testing done and found out I needed to eat MORE! My hubby, an avid triathlete, decided to get tested with me (when I went for my second retest...have the results in my blog. ) and was surprised to find out he needed to change things up, too. Your body becomes more efficient so it starts to burn more efficiently that you have to sometimes eat back more. Took me a while to grasp. MORE FOOD?!? It's like a dream!!!
  • 64GT
    Speaking of protein, I have become addicted to Greek Yogurt! My wife says no more Chobani - she says it smells and no more cheap crap yogurt in this house!!! So, I'm eating lots of Fage in different flavors. Actually trying all the brands... love it.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I've upped my calories to 1700 and am slightly terrified that my TDEE is wrong, that I'm overestimating the amount I'm exercising, that my activity level is wrong, etc because I don't want to undo what I've just spent a lot of time and effort on losing. I also don't want to be stuck at 1400 calories for the rest of my life, terrified of gaining either. In an effort to save my sanity I've taken the batteries out of my scale and hidden it lol. It seems to work for a lot of people and I hope that it works for you (and me), too! Good luck!
    You sound like me! I have done my TDEE several times just to make sure Im not forgetting the numbers..I question myself all the time with the same questions.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    You sound like me! I have done my TDEE several times just to make sure Im not forgetting the numbers..I question myself all the time with the same questions.

Haha I'm glad it's not just me that worried about it. Hope It works out for you!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member

THIS! I've also recently started upping my cals so that I can live with the number for a long time and it's scary!!
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    I am wondering if this is something I should try also
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Upping calories is scary but I noticed the more I worked out the more hungry I became, I guess my metabolism must of risen so it's telling me that I really need to eat more. So I eat back my excersise calories and I managed to get passed my stuck point. By half a pound but that is progress none the less, I'm gonna give it a few more weeks :)
  • 64GT
    For some reason it feels like I went off the deep end today to try to eat 2000 calories. I sincerely hope I'm going down the right road. Time will tell...