Ladies! A question about squats!

Options
I absolutely love squats (and other exercises that target lower body) and have been doing them for a very long time now. So when I see some marvelous before and after pictures of ladies who do squats and there has been great transformation in the behind area :blushing: , I wonder why my butt has transformed yet! It can be discouraging lol.

Anyways, any ladies in here feel they squat, etc and there is still not much improvement in the backside area? I feel like I'm the only one lol

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I too would love for this thread to turn into a celebration of squats and all of it's glorious benefits. So I'm bumping your thread in the hopes that there will be many before and after (especially the after) pics of the, how you say, "backside area".

Ladies, won't you help the OP out?
  • celtic0ne
    celtic0ne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have no butt... so I'm curious about this too...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What kind of weights are you using? I noticed a difference after I started squatting heavy.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I too would love for this thread to turn into a celebration of squats and all of it's glorious benefits. So I'm bumping your thread in the hopes that there will be many before and after (especially the after) pics of the, how you say, "backside area".

lol:laugh:
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

OP: me too! I've noticed a difference in my outer thighs (sorry, I don't know what that muscle is called) it feels and looks so much better! but my butt looks the same I think. in fact it's shrunk from my cardio :/ Obviously I need to up the ante.
    then again.. everyone says "squat heavy"... I just.. squat. minus the heavy. oops. lol. How the heck so I squat heavy? hold some weights while I do it? OP, what other lower body exercises have you been doing?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

OP: me too! I've noticed a difference in my outer thighs (sorry, I don't know what that muscle is called) it feels and looks so much better! but my butt looks the same I think. in fact it's shrunk from my cardio :/ Obviously I need to up the ante.
    then again.. everyone says "squat heavy"... I just.. squat. minus the heavy. oops. lol. How the heck so I squat heavy? hold some weights while I do it? OP, what other lower body exercises have you been doing?

How to squat heavy.

m227275148.gif
  • blackmagic25
    blackmagic25 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* lol
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My butt and thighs are looking better. I am currently squatting 40 pounds, my thighs and rear are noticeably firmer and soon they will be in a shape I am proud to show off. My tummy has also shrunk quite a bit.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My profile has after pics. I'm on my phone or I'd post them.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

How to squat heavy.

m227275148.gif

Dayum!!!
  • laurenswartz
    Options
    I too, love squats! However, the bulk up the quads a lot and they are only targeting part of your glutes. Your butt essentially has three parts to it, the maximus, medius and minimus and the squats are not targetting ALL of those. Of course squats work and they're great, but you have to try some other butt excercises too that target the other parts. Beach body has a "Brazillian Butt' workout and I've seen some of their excercises on Youtube. They're great to supplement the squats. =)
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Squats are awesome and I feel they help the overall leg, but lunges with weight are better for the butt :)
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No pics of the butt (difficult to take on my own as every time I turn around it does, too..!), but I do have one for the first time in my life. I thought I would be destined to have the pancake-butt-into-the-thigh look, but thanx to squats, lunges, dips & kickbacks, I look better walking away than towards people now :laugh:

Alternate squats, lunges, dips & kickbacks with varying weights: some days are heavy, low rep/set, others are low weight/high rep/set and others are combos - 3 sets heavy (lo reps) & 3 sets medium (medium reps). Baby got back :wink:
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

How to squat heavy.

m227275148.gif

Dayum!!!

ah damn. guess I'll have to step it up and use those things at last.. lol
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Mine has certainly gotten smaller.... but over the long term I would like to build up a substantial amount of muscle there.
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well first off, you look great! And while I don't personally have this issue .... I can tell you a few things I do that might or might not help you. I regularly do deep squats, lunges, kickbacks all with heavier weights. In between sets I do high reps with no weights as fast as i can. I also do a lot of stairclimbing, backwards on the elliptical, and also squeeze my glutes when I'm doing all these booty exercises. I am NOT an expert but remember, everyone is built differently....
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What kind of weights are you using? I noticed a difference after I started squatting heavy.

Definitely heavy! See my profile picture! I just don't have a backside lol
  • mittens6395
    Options
    I have/had great glutes but I will spare you a picture because at the moment they are hidden under lots o'padding. Which is why I'm here.....

To build them I never needed to use heavy weight; just good form. My quads have always been stronger than my glutes so I try and take quads out and isolate the glutes as much as I can. Some exercises that worked well are a basic step up. Step up on a decently high block (one that makes your leg parallel at the knee or just below). Tighten your abs (to ensure you stay on the posterior chain and less on the quads) and drive through your heel and mid foot). Bring your opposite leg up (like a marching stance) and hold for a count. This will keep your body weight on the isolated leg (your step up leg). When you lower continue to keep all tension on that same leg and control the movement back down to the ground. To ensure control make sure you end up exactly where your opposite foot left off. Lower the step up leg and repeat until one side is finished before beginning the other side. You may not need any weight for awhile. This is all about isolating the glutes.

Reverse/forward lunge works great also. Focus on form. When you lunge, dont try to propel yourself forward. Simply step forward, stop, then lower the back knee straight down (front knee should be parallel with knee behind toe), your ear, shoulder, hip and back knee should all be in align, hold for a count, tighten abs then drive through your front heel, mid foot keeping the tension on the posterior chain and move the back foot forward. Repeat reps keeping all the focus on the alternating leg in front. The leg in back is just along for the ride. Single leg deadlifts also work well. Glutes are major movers but underused which makes then recruit assistance from many other. Try them....I'm sure your glutes will like them :)
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Tuesday's are dedicated to my butt! I LOVE SQUATS, all squats, I love deadlifts!

Yeah tuesday is my favorite day of the week. Ive seen tons of progress in my butt but it took awhile and alittle added plates on the bars
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lifting class since mid December I would say.... I didn't take before pics of my butt and thighs, but there is a noticable difference in how firm they are... before I started lifting 2 days a week you wouldn't catch me in 'tights/leggings' now I love to have them on. I still have the inner thigh jiggle, but my butt and thighs hands down look better.

ps - I would like to squat heavier, but I am doing it on a barbell, and I am almost at max capacity of what I can lift over my head...hehe..May try to add one more 1kg plate per side.