Yoga for men.

Options
RunDoozer
RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
Is there even a difference? All the guys that I see doing yoga are tall bean poles that are actually able to get into these pretzel like poses. Being 6'0 220 and built more like a linebacker I feel like I could get some benefit from doing yoga but my body type is just going to prevent me from doing things properly.

Or are there styles of yoga that are geared towards people like me?

I dont know if Im just short changing myself when it comes down to the flexibility part of this but some of these things i look at and im like my body would just get int he way and no amount of flexibility would change that

What are your experiences ?

Replies

• BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Funny you should bring this up. I'm in the same boat only with about 30 more lbs. I've taken classes. They helped with breathing technigues that was good. I'm 47 and most guys ( and gals) my age have some kind of injury. Mine is a bad shoulder. It's funny I can throw giant monster tires but if I go bowling. I'm out for a week. same with planking in Yoga. The teacher said I need to work on my strength, lol.. I was like, ummmm I can seriosly lift and carry 2 of you lady.... lol...

About 6 months ago I bought DDP Yago. It's on YouTube if you want to check it out. Some stuff good some of it qustionable. . It's not very relaxing the way he does it. He does have flexibilty dvd in there I'm going to start using. I recently hurt my back and think I need more stretching. I've actually been thinking about doing it just in general. If you do decide to get into it let me know I'd like to share ideas and tips and stuff........
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i'm not a man but i used to practice yoga for years. there isn't specific yoga for men or women of specific to your size but there are different varieties of yoga depending on what you want to do/what your preference is. many use yoga as a form of mediation and to "connect" with their environment; some use yoga as a workout ... i'm the latter so my preference is ashtanga (aka power yoga) that can be done with our without heat. heating the room is the trend these days but i don't like it. power yoga gives you an incredible workout; the constant flow of the moves and repetitive positions is what will challenge you and tone your muscles. the next day, you'll be sore in places you didn't even think you had any muscles (but it's a good kind of sore). all forms of yoga will improve flexibility, balance and promote mental calmness.

while you may feel "larger" than other men in the room, never mind that. yoga is a great way to build muscle strength, balance, endurance and improve flexibility. it will be challenging at first when you don't really know the moves, your body isn't as limber and your muscles may ache during the class but as with anything, the more you practice yoga, you get stronger/more flexible and the better you get. if your form is off, the instructor will correct you. as you get better, more flexible and stronger, you'll be able to do and hold the poses for a longer period; you'll also become more familiar with the poses too.

it's also an amazing way to keep the mind balanced and calm. you'll notice a great sense of calmness after a good yoga session. walking out of each class, i always felt refreshed and charged.

athletes (football players, hockey players, olympic athletes etc) like to incorporate yoga into their exercise regime on a regular basis; it improves overall performance by increasing flexibility and motility and reduces the risk of injury.

so i say go for it! if you want a great yoga workout, power yoga (ashtanga) is an amazing way to do it. if you want a taste of what that is, try p90x2 yoga. it's a 45min accelerated yoga workout that has repetitive moving vinyasas with various yoga poses to improve balance, flexibility and increase muscle strength/endurance.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have been going for about 6months now. I am not some self loving whackado (lol) nor a tall bean pole. Honestly I was surprised how it differs from typical workouts. There is a lot of focus on matching your breath with movements in yoga, whereas in a conventional gym exercise its about getting x reps done. That part of yoga slows you down and does help clear your mind. As for fitness, I kept going mainly to improve my flexibility and balance. Both continue to improve. I also have found my posture is much better now. As far as building muscle, I don't really agree it makes a huge difference if you are lifting weights. I am in an ashtanga yoga class and there are a few poses that push the old quads, and upper body, but not as much as a conventional workout. Keep in mind the basic principle of yoga classes is to make them for you. It does not matter if you cannot get as far as others, the important thing is that it be a benefit to you. There are a few other guys in my class, but not a lot. One is a recreational hockey player and he has been attending to help with some injuries. He mentioned that it is really helping him. I suggest you give it a try a few times and see how it goes. You will feel odd for a few times, and going into a room full of yogi bunnies is a bit intimidating. If you are nice, they will be helpful.

Good luck
  • yoguyca
    yoguyca Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey RunDozer,
    I teach only guys yoga. I will answer your questions in sequence below:

Re: Is there even a difference?
    I teach my guys everything. My goal is to help/keep mobility in every direction.
    My guys are every shape and size and injury.
    There are allot of different types/styles of yoga; look for a beginner "Hatha" class with a teacher your age; see if you like it. If not, try a different style.You'l find one that fits.

Re: Being 6'0 220 and built more like a linebacker I feel like I could get some benefit from doing yoga but my body type is just going to prevent me from doing things properly.

You will definitely see some benefit, but need to SERIOUSLY take it easy in the yoga positions. Many guys have injured themselves (myself included) pushing ourselves (as guys always do).

RE: Or are there styles of yoga that are geared towards people like me?
    Many of my guys have mentioned they prefer a male teacher. I've made a list of some places where you can go here:
    http://yoguy.ca/mens-classes-out-of-town/
    If you can, find a local men's class or male teacher.

RE: my body would just get int he way and no amount of flexibility would change that
    Stop worrying about your body and what others do. You can do this, it will benefit you. Yoga is a great way to keep moving; very important as you get older.

Re:What are your experiences ?
    I got into yoga to help with sports and contracting chronic injures; it helped me the first class I took, so I stuck with it.
    As for the the rest of the guys I teach, have a read of their stories here:
    http://yoguy.ca/testimonials/

The biggest problem you'll likely have is being the only guy in class (if you can't find a local men's class), but put it aside, and don't worry what the rest of the room thinks (I know, never easy).

Good luck,
    Any questions , shoot me an email.
    Stacey Reeves
    YoGuy Men's Yoga
    Vancouver, Canada
    778-995-1970
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Website
    Please forward this post to someone you know who may need help with:
    Pain, balance, stress, physical strength& flexibility, mental strength & focus, self-esteem, energy & stamina, proper breathing & posture, internal health& circulation.

Yoga may be the answer. YoGuy would be pleased to assist. Yoga, good for men.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I was doing yoga at 270+ pounds. Did my huge gut get in the way at times? Yes, but I still got plenty of benefits. I improved my flexibility a ton and I believe that helped get rid of some back pain. Ignore the guys in the yoga posters and do what you want to do.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    6ft5 201lbs (people often refer to me as a rugby player build) and love yoga and pilates. It's not a barrier IMO.

I enjoy it because it's fun and each pose is like a mini target whether it's correct form or balance or just pushing it a little further.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am going to give you a hippy dippy answer. Yoga is learning about, and being at peace with, what your body is capable of.
    That's it. Anyone can do that regardless of size, gender, and age.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    While most of the men in my classes are relatively "thin", there are several heavier set men. They seem to find it useful and keep coming back.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hey RunDozer,
    I teach only guys yoga. I will answer your questions in sequence below:

Re: Is there even a difference?
    I teach my guys everything. My goal is to help/keep mobility in every direction.
    My guys are every shape and size and injury.
    There are allot of different types/styles of yoga; look for a beginner "Hatha" class with a teacher your age; see if you like it. If not, try a different style.You'l find one that fits.

Re: Being 6'0 220 and built more like a linebacker I feel like I could get some benefit from doing yoga but my body type is just going to prevent me from doing things properly.

You will definitely see some benefit, but need to SERIOUSLY take it easy in the yoga positions. Many guys have injured themselves (myself included) pushing ourselves (as guys always do).

RE: Or are there styles of yoga that are geared towards people like me?
    Many of my guys have mentioned they prefer a male teacher. I've made a list of some places where you can go here:
    http://yoguy.ca/mens-classes-out-of-town/
    If you can, find a local men's class or male teacher.

RE: my body would just get int he way and no amount of flexibility would change that
    Stop worrying about your body and what others do. You can do this, it will benefit you. Yoga is a great way to keep moving; very important as you get older.

Re:What are your experiences ?
    I got into yoga to help with sports and contracting chronic injures; it helped me the first class I took, so I stuck with it.
    As for the the rest of the guys I teach, have a read of their stories here:
    http://yoguy.ca/testimonials/

The biggest problem you'll likely have is being the only guy in class (if you can't find a local men's class), but put it aside, and don't worry what the rest of the room thinks (I know, never easy).

Good luck,
    Any questions , shoot me an email.
    Stacey Reeves
    YoGuy Men's Yoga
    Vancouver, Canada
    778-995-1970
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Website
    Please forward this post to someone you know who may need help with:
    Pain, balance, stress, physical strength& flexibility, mental strength & focus, self-esteem, energy & stamina, proper breathing & posture, internal health& circulation.

Yoga may be the answer. YoGuy would be pleased to assist. Yoga, good for men.

Thanks, Stacey. I am a man. I have done yoga for many years. And, I think this advice is right on.
    Yoga is harder for men. Women are naturally more flexible and so bending into poses tends to be easier for them. But, of course, that does not mean that men cannot enjoy it or make progress. They can!
    Also, someone mentioned looking for an 'ashtanga' yoga class. I think that might be a mistake. Traditionally, ashtanga yoga is very demanding. Better to do as Stacey suggests, look for a class labeled as beginner Hatha yoga or maybe anusara yoga.
    AND, don't be afraid to take it easy when posing. If a pose is difficult or extreme, do what you can without straining. That is perfectly alright in most classes, and you will get better that way. Also, if a class holds a pose for one to two minutes, and that is really uncomfortable for you, you can come out of it early and rest.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I played football for over 20 years before I found yoga. I was pretty much same build 6'3" 240lbs at my playing weight of TE in my last 12 years. I wish I tried yoga sooner. It has helped me a lot with my pain in my joints and back. RA forced me to retire from football and without being able to take medication, yoga has helped me stay active more. I am much slimmer now(215) but still carry a decent build and I use it every day.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I dont know if Im just short changing myself when it comes down to the flexibility part of this but some of these things i look at and im like my body would just get int he way and no amount of flexibility would change that
    My class is about 50/50 women and men, all different body types. We all have different strengths, and we all have different...potential strengths. :wink:

I agree with the poster who said to look for a beginning Hatha class and go from there. And don't worry about your body getting in the way. I think this happens to everyone. I have a gimp wrist that can be kind of limiting. It's no big deal to have trouble; the next pose will be something different. :smile:

Namaste.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Yoga? For MEN?? What'll they think of next!?

With love,
    Burt
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have to say that yoga stuff is tricky. Really you're just "standing around". How can you get any exercise that way? Well let me tell you, the first time I took a class I was sweating bullets on the ole yoga mat and was incredible sore (in a good way) the next day or two. The instructor was very forgiving and kept telling us to do the pose as best we can, even gave us some modified positions when we couldn't do the real thing. I have rheumatoid arthritis and some quirky joints (wrists especially) so even "easy" stuff like a plank has its challenges but I have to work with the body I have. Even making the effort is rewarding. I get pain relief from the improved flexibility and the little meditation part at the end is refreshing and spiritually uplifting. I work out in a gym that has "meatheads" lifting stuff I never will so I just don't pay that much attention to what they're doing and focus on me. Actually I wish my schedule would permit me go to classes more regularly. I have a nice little yoga DVD that has a morning and evening practice that I use. Keep it up and get out of it what you put in.

Namaste,

Mav

BTW: our local Hockey Club, the Mavericks, use yoga as part of their conditioning.
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestion to check out DDP yoga. I just started this week and so far I am enjoying it. It is definitely not just poses- I sweat like crazy. Check out the website you will see that the yoga is used by "linebacker" type guys. DDP himself is a former professional wrestler. The program also has you take a series of pictures so you see how far you increase your flexibility and balance over time- a lot of the beginning ones on the website look like people who have never done yoga bfore. DDP also teaches you to make the yoga a cardio workout and insists you monitor your heart rate during the workouts to make sure there is a cardio workout. One of the youtube videos is about a veteran who did not have use of his legs regain his mobility through the program. Very motivational.
  • yoguyca
    Options
    Hey Mav,

Cool post; thx for sharing. I want to get my guys reading here.
    Stacey
  • yoguyca
    Options
    Hey BrotherBill91,
    Is that a combine your standing on? Sweet! I need to send that pic to my farm'in cousins.
    Re : DDP
    Funny you should bring this up. He's the reason I started teaching guys yoga. I saw him in a video years ago and thought I should do that.
    Thx for the post,
    Keep up to good work.
    Stacey
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yoga will make you long and skinny.

You just have to start doing it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    im a big guy, and i've done yoga as part of my active rest work outs. one class a week won't make you lean and skinny.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does yoga for work. He is a professional golfer. A lot of professionals do. He isn't skinny at all he is well built. He gets more mistaken for rugby player than a golfer. It will not make you skinny just more flexible.